997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hard top conversion - things to consider

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Hard top conversion - things to consider

If you want some actual costs for budgeting to purchase and install a hard top on your cabriolet, here's something to work with:

I'm in the process of converting and installing a hard top on my 997.1. As most of you already know, the 996 series came already prepped for hard top installation, but you have to install a kit for fitting a hard top on a 997 series if not already modified. The difference is that the 996 rear anchors are a "cam-lox" variety, and the 997 kit is a screw down type. From all accounts I've read, the screw down is a superior design. The conversion kit is right at $300.00 for Suncoast. allow 1 1/2 hours if you haven't converted one before. Pretty simple except for hooking up the defogger if you have big man hands, so enlist your wife, GF, or adolescent son or daughter to do it.

Instructions on converting the hard top itself to the newer type screw down bayonet mounts are posted elsewhere, but they don't show that you have to bend back the L/H rear trim on the top to disconnect the rear defogger and plug in the new one when changing mounts. This is a minor PITA, but also know that the clips which hold the liner to the hard top are single use and will break off rather than release. New clips are available for anywhere from $1.51 - 2.51 per clip.

If searching for a hard top on E-bay, many sellers will list "For local pick up only." Not to worry if you are outside the area. "Craters and Freighters" is a nationwide company located in many cities throughout the USA. They will even go and pick up the hard top at the seller's house, pack it up, and ship it to you at (what I think is) a reasonable charge. I had my hard top crated, put on a pallet, and delivered from WI to Little Rock for a pinch over $500.00, and they packed it REALLY well.

Look for a top already painted to match your car color. If you can't find one, you'll likely want to have it repainted to match or compliment your car color. Getting it done properly will set you back between $600 - 900, so budget that. It's less expensive to find one in excellent shape and pay a little more than pay a little and have to have it repainted, IMHO. That goes for the interior trim pieces as well.

If buying off E-bay, try and get one already converted and in use on a 997. Avoid any that are just laying on the ground, or propped against a wall, because the sellers obviously don't know the value of what they have (or are just morons), and the dang thing will be all scratched up when you get it.. I prefer to see an item placed on a blanket.

Here is what I've paid (so far):

Used hard top off E-bay in fair to good condition: $500.00

Crating and shipping: $506.00

Repaint top to match car: $900.00

Conversion kit (Suncoast): $300.00

Recover interior trim pieces in new material: $250.00

Tint rear window: $40.00

Replacement upholstery clips and latch cover: $103.00

Total: $2599.00

(For comparison, Suncoast offers a new pre-painted hard top with 997 conversion kit and shipping (to AR) for $4,715.00. Rear window is not tinted, so add that in.)

Last edited by JB in AR; 11-14-2012 at 03:35 PM.