997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Windshield replacement costs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:32 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I have talked to plenty of insurance companies and they all say that the replacement glass they install is identical to the OEM glass in all specs. I think that is BS based upon my personal experience. The aftermarket glass indeed seems to be softer or more easily damaged and pitted. I have been using nothing but OEM glass on my cars for at least 10 years. I express my concerns to my insurance company and they have always approved the OEM glass. Here in CA with the horrible roads and tons of trucks hauling junk and dropping it on the roads, damaging cars, I keep my deductible at $100 so when I get a crack I don't fret, I just call and have it replaced. On average, once a year in my cars. I wish the CHP would start ticketing the crapola out of these haulers who have material dropping off their trucks.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Hi-Arc is on a distinguished road
I was quoted $845 to have the Pilkington replacement windshield replaced in my 2009. Locally shop I have used before. The have a technician they bring in for Porches

Old 08-17-2018, 12:52 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Hi,
I am in Bay Area SF. I need to replace my windshield for my new cayenne. just got a big long crack on the windshield few days ago on 101 SF. I have AAA. Who did you use to do your windshield replacement? I have OEM coverage with AAA. FJ Porsche in Fremont quotes $2K+. The OEM windshield is $860 total, but the labor is 4.5 hrs, $1K+, LOL ...

many thanks for your recommendation.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:15 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Had mine replaced on the -06 C4S at no cost at all. I believe I had USAA insurance at that time and they replaced windshields at no cost including no deductible if the damage was in the line of sight. Mine was right in my face, about the size of a dime or a nickel as I recall it. Either way it was considered a safety related repair and was done with a minimum of questions and no discussion. All they asked for was a picture of the damage and the location.

Wonder if any insurers still operate on this principle.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:34 PM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
I was able to specifically exclude the windshield from my insurance coverage, saved $200-300 per year. Figure I can self insure for that amount, then it also doesn’t add to claim history. Insurance works a little different in different jurisdictions from what I’ve seen.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:35 PM
andy92782 is on a distinguished road
Recently replaced windshield on a 997. I went to a well-respected indy here in Orange County; they have a "windshield guy" they always go to who they've had good luck with. For OEM glass, they quoted me $1000+ for just the part plus a 30-day lead time as it had to be ordered. I opted for the Chinese stuff (Fuyao). The shop was cool in that they let me inspect the glass before it was installed just to be certain there weren't any wavy lines or distortion. There wasn't. Price was $635 installed. No issues.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:24 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
$1899 OEM windshield replacement for part and labor at Fletcher Jones Fremont Porsche. the labor is $900. 4hrs LOL ... I am with AAA - OEM coverage, $50 deductible.
I prefer OEM windshield ...

Old 09-04-2018, 03:10 PM
For Southern CA, I would use this
, https://alfredosautoglass.com/. His quote is $1.1K compared with $1.8K from FJ Porsche. I will be down in UCLA next few weeks and probably have Alfredo to replace my windshield.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:02 PM
jfort is an unknown quantity at this point
Scared by this thread, I just called my insurer, USAA, about their approach. They said they typically use SafeLite. When I expressed reservations with that, they said I could go to a dealer and have OEM glass installed and get reimbursed except for the $50 deductible.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Porsche Dealer is best bet. make sure you ask them about the air leak detection measurement. I feel that Porsche dealer overcharges AAA big $$$ . I have an option to do cheaper with my guy in southern cal while I am in UCLA next few weeks. But in the meantime, I look for a local glass installer as good as Alfredo in the bay area.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:02 AM
devil boy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jfort
Scared by this thread, I just called my insurer, USAA, about their approach. They said they typically use SafeLite. When I expressed reservations with that, they said I could go to a dealer and have OEM glass installed and get reimbursed except for the $50 deductible.
USAA will let you use whoever you want. IIRC their online windshield app takes you to SafeLite but there’s an option to choose your preferred shop. It’s easy.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:24 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jfort
SafeLite did mine on the -06 C4S and they installed an OEM windshield. Only time I've dealt with them so maybe I lucked out but the job was first rate. Impossible to tell the windshield had been replaced. Drove that car more than 20,000 miles after that job and no leaks, no whistling sounds....nothing. I would go back to that same shop again if I had to have another one replaced. Curious why you have reservations about them. I asked my service advisor at my dealer if they would do it and he's actually the one who told me to go to SafeLite instead. He said (quietly) that they would do a better job since that's all they do. Dealerships don't replace a lot of windshields.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Hi-Arc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by andy92782
Recently replaced windshield on a 997. I went to a well-respected indy here in Orange County; they have a "windshield guy" they always go to who they've had good luck with. For OEM glass, they quoted me $1000+ for just the part plus a 30-day lead time as it had to be ordered. I opted for the Chinese stuff (Fuyao). The shop was cool in that they let me inspect the glass before it was installed just to be certain there weren't any wavy lines or distortion. There wasn't. Price was $635 installed. No issues.
I recently made the same decision and I am very pleased the the quality fit and no distortion of the FY windshield
Professional installer makes all the difference. Guy I used has a broad experience with everyday and exotic vehicles. Be sure to use OEM windshield seal. Also performed install in my garage.

Last edited by Hi-Arc; 09-09-2018 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-12-2018, 08:21 PM
911URGE is on a distinguished road
Just had mine replaced today. I opted for the FY glass and it looked distortion free prior to install. Installer had done 997's previously with 27 yrs experience. The install went smoothly in my garage and I cannot tell it was replaced. The seal looks excellent. Fingers crossed no issues.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 PM
what's the name of the guy in Southern Cal? I have a local SJ guy, Golden State Auto Glass and Tinting referred by porsche stevens creek. The porsche dealer outsources to this guy. Their price is very much in par with the rest $1100. I see why the dealer price is so expensive. The FJ Porsche charges $250/hr x 4. $1k labor. LOL ... it takes 2 hrs for windshield installer guys. 4 hrs for Porsche ... crazy ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement costs?