997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Has anyone got ECU tunned by ECU Tuning Group?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 PM
VM997C4S is on a distinguished road
To be honest, softronics is a bit pricey. I don't see how one tune is different from another. In order to mod ECU one will have to perform the same functions. Just like changing brakes.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by VM997C4S
To be honest, softronics is a bit pricey. I don't see how one tune is different from another. In order to mod ECU one will have to perform the same functions. Just like changing brakes.
Seemed in line with others I looked at. I asked for the flash with a local Indy and he uses Softronic...swears by it...but wanted too much labor for the job and wanted the car for 1-1/2 days. Crazy.

Did it myself within 45 minutes. The function of tuning the ECU is probably the same, but the program that gets installed is not. No two flashes would be the same. The programmer will have a program which they feel will better help the performance of your car. You have choices out there, but for me Softronic was the choice and I don't regret it.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
firstmovado2013....since you're in Southern California, I would recommend giving the guys at GIAC a call. They are very well known as being one of, if not the, best tuners in the Porsche game. I'm confident in saying their expertise is almost unmatched when it comes to ECU tuning. They're also local to you and have an in-house dyno, which is perfect from a service perspective.

They are the only ECU tune we use. In fact, they're the only ECU tune we warranty as well....that's how much confidence we have in them.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
we have just finished the new 2013 M5/M6, Mercedes G65, Rolls Royce Ghost
Thank God. I was ready to put my under powered Rolls on Craig's List.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
firstmovado2013....since you're in Southern California, I would recommend giving the guys at GIAC a call. They are very well known as being one of, if not the, best tuners in the Porsche game. I'm confident in saying their expertise is almost unmatched when it comes to ECU tuning. They're also local to you and have an in-house dyno, which is perfect from a service perspective.

They are the only ECU tune we use. In fact, they're the only ECU tune we warranty as well....that's how much confidence we have in them.
I would do a search before going GIAC. Lots of well known board members and tuners would not use them.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
I would do a search before going GIAC. Lots of well known board members and tuners would not use them.

hmmm...interesting.

We have used them for years without any issues, as has our entire network of dealers and tuner shops around the country. We also use them exclusively for all our custom turbo projects and NA builds. They are also currently the only tuner who can directly flash the Panamera, Cayenne, and new 991 ECU's.

Searching on 6Speed and many other forums also yields very positive results about GIAC. I'm not sure who you're referring to, but quite a few forum members and tuners all use them.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
hmmm...interesting.

We have used them for years without any issues, as has our entire network of dealers and tuner shops around the country. We also use them exclusively for all our custom turbo projects and NA builds. They are also currently the only tuner who can directly flash the Panamera, Cayenne, and new 991 ECU's.

Searching on 6Speed and many other forums also yields very positive results about GIAC. I'm not sure who you're referring to, but quite a few forum members and tuners all use them.
Tom,

I dont doubt it, but as with any company there will always be two sides, some with more negative to offset the positive.

Regarding GIAC being the only company who can directly flash the Panamera, Cayenne and 991's, being the first doesnt always give you the best bragging rights. Often times, companies rush their R&D to be first out, and things get over looked, though I'm not saying this is the case with GIAC, it's just always a possibility.

Again, I'm sure GIAC has a strong following. I was simply telling the OP he should do a search before committing, as I have been admonished by 3 very trusted tuners and countless Porsche enthusiasts and track buddies not to use them.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
forbes210 is on a distinguished road
firstmovado2013:

Honestly my MPG is pretty bad. Im doing mostly city driving and I got heavy foot. My average now shows 11 MPG although when I was cruising at the steady speed before ECU I had 23 MPG and similar readings maybe 24 after but that could be caused by different conditions etc. Just keep it in mind that ECU also changes throttle mapping so automatically your foot will get heavier. I called few installers of softronic but came out that buying directly from them was the best deal. I did installation myslef which I found easy as long as you follow their very detailed directions.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor
Tom,

I dont doubt it, but as with any company there will always be two sides, some with more negative to offset the positive.

Regarding GIAC being the only company who can directly flash the Panamera, Cayenne and 991's, being the first doesnt always give you the best bragging rights. Often times, companies rush their R&D to be first out, and things get over looked, though I'm not saying this is the case with GIAC, it's just always a possibility.

Again, I'm sure GIAC has a strong following. I was simply telling the OP he should do a search before committing, as I have been admonished by 3 very trusted tuners and countless Porsche enthusiasts and track buddies not to use them.
Totally fair. I agree that doing your homework is definitely a must, especially with a resource like 6Speedonline so readily available. That's the beauty of a widely used forum like this.

As for rushing the R&D on those cars...it not really a matter of rushing, it's more a matter of simply having the technical resources and "know-how" to actually be able to tune directly into the new ECU's. Most others are either using a piggyback system or simply don't have tunes for those cars available.

For me, the biggest advantage to any ECU tune is the ability to have a good before, during, and after sales experience. Being from Southern California, the OP would definitely benefit from the fact that GIAC's actual brick and mortar facility is right in his back yard.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Totally fair. I agree that doing your homework is definitely a must, especially with a resource like 6Speedonline so readily available. That's the beauty of a widely used forum like this.

As for rushing the R&D on those cars...it not really a matter of rushing, it's more a matter of simply having the technical resources and "know-how" to actually be able to tune directly into the new ECU's. Most others are either using a piggyback system or simply don't have tunes for those cars available.

For me, the biggest advantage to any ECU tune is the ability to have a good before, during, and after sales experience. Being from Southern California, the OP would definitely benefit from the fact that GIAC's actual brick and mortar facility is right in his back yard.
Couldnt agree more. Cheers

Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Former Vendor
Couldnt agree more. Cheers
group hug...

<kidding>

Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
group hug...

<kidding>

Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
No problem with ETG. I love it. They came right to my house to upgrade. Give them a call.
Our group have GIAC, softtronic and ETG. Our performance is about the same. They all improve on the 997. Pretty straight forward tune.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM
firstmovado2013 will become famous soon enoughfirstmovado2013 will become famous soon enough
Fellas, thanks for all your feedback!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM
firstmovado2013 will become famous soon enoughfirstmovado2013 will become famous soon enough
Forbes,

So you're saying your MPG decreased to 11 MPG After ECU tuned? Thats horrible! I thought ECU tune was suppose to improve MPG. Can anyone share their experience in regards to MPG gains / loss????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone got ECU tunned by ECU Tuning Group?