997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 C2S or E90 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:11 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mattyf
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." - Mae West
And I was about to say this, but I guess Mae West said it already!!

Just to be fair, you should probably post the same question to the Bimmer Forum. Let's see if input from either or both forums would be skewed.

BTW, never really liked the Bimmers ---- even though I have been eyeing a 750IL for the last 3 months (waiting for a friend to dumpt it!). Yeah, this paragraph is somewhat self-defeating, but it looks like my situation right now is that "I need the 997 for fun and when I am tired of shifting, I would use the 750". I guess I am getting too old. hahahaha

Last edited by cab83_750; 05-25-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kendall993
So I can assume your vote is for the 997? How do you like the PDK? I liked the SMG in the M5 although it was slow and clunky it was still a lot of fun to drive. Im pretty sure Ill go 6 speed in the M3 or 911 but I havent driven the PDK so I appreciate your insight. Thanks
PDK is a great transmission, it's fast, it blips on downshifts, it's everything you want with an automatic transmission, only problem is, it's an automatic transmission. It's your weekend ride, you don't want to step into another automatic. If it's your daily then I don't blame you if you choose PDK. E90 M3 is a nice car but it's more gt than sport. If you are looking for a weekend sports car, there is only one choice.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I currently have a 2011 E92 M3 , and had an 08 M3 as well . I also had an 05 997S , an 07 997S , and an 09 997S . Still have my 07 EVT700 Turbo .

If you have a daily driver there is not a doubt in my mind to pick the 997S . The M3 is very practical , has a great V8 engine note , and is quite balanced for a car of its size . It is also very reliable where the only issue i had with both was a grinding noise from the axle lock . This is a known common issue and can be remedied easily . The car is othewise trouble free and with free maintenance it is quite a bargain .

However . it is BORING !! Drive it awhile and the novelty erodes and it settles into being a fantastic 3 series .. but it's not a Porsche . The gearbox (mine are both manual) is sloppy spaced whereas the porsche is precise and smooth . The sound system is far superior to Porsche . The technology is awful in both but much better in the BMW until the 997.2 claimed techno victory .

The M3 handles well , holds value incredibly , and has many strong points .

The Porsche on the other hand is an icon . It will cost more to run . The lobster fork wheels are atrocious. 05 models have potential snags . They depreciate with miles moreso than the BMW and rear tires are expensive and wear quickly .
The drive however is superb . It can not be compared to an M3 .

Price on the other hand is an issue . For 50K one can buy one heck of a BMW but wil have to hunt long and hard to find a 997 because everyone wants the 40-50K 911 so the best cars are hard to find .

Personally .. I would opt for a 997.2 (better drive, better reliability, CPO, technology, etc) OR a turbo . The 997.1 Turbo is an amazing car and in terms of reliability and peformance it still competes with anything current (even bone stock) .

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 PM
SoCal GT3 will become famous soon enough
Hi Kendall993, I recognize your name from the M5board. I just sold my E60 M5 2 months ago and picked up a 997 C2S PDK. The SMG was really getting to me in stop and go traffic. The PDK is definitely much smoother and easier to use. I have a 6 speed 996 as well and in some ways I miss the manual shift in the 997. Overall the 997 is really a great car and you really cant go wrong...except I miss the exhaust note of the V10! Good luck with your next purchase!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
So I can assume your vote is for the 997? How do you like the PDK? I liked the SMG in the M5 although it was slow and clunky it was still a lot of fun to drive. Im pretty sure Ill go 6 speed in the M3 or 911 but I havent driven the PDK so I appreciate your insight. Thanks
I had a E46 M3 SMG (daily driver) at the same time as a 997.1 Carrera S 6 speed. The Porsche driving dynamics are far superior. Suspension, braking, rock solid chassis, sublime steering, the list goes on. About the only thing the M3 has going for it comparatively are the extra rpms. I drove the E92 M3 quite a few times in Germany when it first came out, al 6 speeds. Just seemed more like a muscle car than a sports car. I never much liked the 6 speeds BMW choose as they are stiff and tend to grind. The gearbox in my Z4M Coupe was the reason I got rid of it.

PDK is far superior to SMG, although it's more a hybrid in character to SMG and DSG. I've had all 3. PDK is smooth when driving slow and normal but when you drive hard it comes alive with lightning quick shifts. DSG is fast all the time, but you have to lift the throttle before down shifting to let the system know to prepare for a downshift. SMG of course is odd as shifts feel more normal when you lift the throttle during the shift, which is annoying. No matter what you do with PDK it's smooth and ready. For example, you can downshift without lifting the throttle whenever you wish. It's always ready to do what you want.

Your best bet is a 2009 C2S with PDK, or any 6 speed. I've seen a lot of BMW E92 M3s on Porsche lots as used cars for sale. Whether you feel you want the BMW, in the end it dissatisfies and you crave the civility, refinement, and the true sports car that of the Porsche.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 AM
M BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud of
I have not driven a TT. I have always loved the turbos and the amount of power they put down can be intoxicating for sure. My only issue with the 996 is the interior. But Im sure I could through in a good set of seats and upgrade some of the electronics and get over that pretty quickly. How are they on the track? Does the awd make them push through corners?
I have not tracked mine, but a number of people do. My track experience has been RWD, with my NSXs, and previous E36 and E46 M3.

The AWD is rear-biased and does not exhibit significant understeer on the street. It feels like RWD most of the time, and you can always convert to RWD if that is your preference. The suspension needs an upgrade for serious track use, but for a few days a year it should be adequate for typical intermediate/advanced level drivers at a HPDE.

I had the same reservations about the 996 Turbo interior. After a year and 35,000+ miles behind the wheel, I actually prefer the 996 Turbo interior to a base 997, as the full leather really improves the tactile sensation and adds a layer of elegance the vinyl can't match.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong if you go with what stirs your automotive soul. Drive them back to back if you can. I was waffling between them until I drove a 997 S and 996 Turbo back to back...

Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Carnut12 is on a distinguished road
The lime rock edition is pretty nice but the premium on the price is not worth it in my mind. Your White on Black C2s looks great.
Thank you, I feel I got lucky finding this car at my local dealer at the exact time I was looking.

I agree the Lime Rock might not be worth the Premium, but I like Cars others do not have. If you heard that exhaust they put on it that alone is worth $2-3K, it sounds amazing.

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:00 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
I have '08 Targa 4S and also '11 E92.
Even in Targa form, the Porsche is a better well rounded car for handling and ride.
Feels specials. E92 is nice but gotta admit, driving you kinda feel pretension :-)
And definitely the E92 is more of a cruiser/muscle than a pure handling car.
We also had a E46 M3, nice but SMG was horrible.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:20 PM
RichM3 can only hope to improve
Well, I can tell you from first hand experience that if your gut is telling you to get the Porsche, then get the Porsche. I was in the exact same scenario and I bought a 2011 M3 with Comp package, DCT, etc, etc. I had the car for 1 1/2 years before I traded it in on a 997.2 S with sport crono, PDK, etc. and I couldn't be happier. Mind you, I had been driving M3s for 15 years (e36, e46, e90) and it was clearly time for a change. The e90 just became too big and heavy for me personally. I can feel the steering and feedback from the 997.2 much better than in the e90. My old M3s provided much better feedback than the e90 as well. It has became almost too refined. I would wait until you can get into a 997.2 S.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:29 PM
gkinvest is a jewel in the roughgkinvest is a jewel in the roughgkinvest is a jewel in the roughgkinvest is a jewel in the rough
Mike my friend,

You know from M6Board that I am a Bmw fanatic.
Having said that, here is a bold statement :

Buy a Porsche. There is no comparison.

I would suggest a 997 4s, preferably generation 2. If your badget allows grab a low miles turbo.

You know that I am not biased, since I own them all.

Your friend,

George

Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gkinvest
Mike my friend,

You know from M6Board that I am a Bmw fanatic.
Having said that, here is a bold statement :

Buy a Porsche. There is no comparison.

I would suggest a 997 4s, preferably generation 2. If your badget allows grab a low miles turbo.

You know that I am not biased, since I own them all.

Your friend,

George

George,

I really would like to get a TT for sure. I think with the changes to the 991 the 997 will be a classic. I may just wait until my budget allows. I am going through some personal adjustments, divorce, that is impacting me financially but Ill be back on my feet soon. This is why Im looking at a .1 C2S at this point.

i appreciate your feedback as always.

Mike

Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mark12345
I have '08 Targa 4S and also '11 E92.
Even in Targa form, the Porsche is a better well rounded car for handling and ride.
Feels specials. E92 is nice but gotta admit, driving you kinda feel pretension :-)
And definitely the E92 is more of a cruiser/muscle than a pure handling car.
We also had a E46 M3, nice but SMG was horrible.
Thanks for your feedback. I have thought about picking up an E46 just for fun. Ive driven a few of them and really enjoyed them.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by RichM3
Well, I can tell you from first hand experience that if your gut is telling you to get the Porsche, then get the Porsche. I was in the exact same scenario and I bought a 2011 M3 with Comp package, DCT, etc, etc. I had the car for 1 1/2 years before I traded it in on a 997.2 S with sport crono, PDK, etc. and I couldn't be happier. Mind you, I had been driving M3s for 15 years (e36, e46, e90) and it was clearly time for a change. The e90 just became too big and heavy for me personally. I can feel the steering and feedback from the 997.2 much better than in the e90. My old M3s provided much better feedback than the e90 as well. It has became almost too refined. I would wait until you can get into a 997.2 S.
Thanks for your help. All of the M cars just keep getting bigger and heavier with each redesign. Im thinking Ill wait until the .2 C2S's are in my price range and scoop one up. Shoot maybe there will be a good .1TT around at that point as well.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by SoCal GT3
Hi Kendall993, I recognize your name from the M5board. I just sold my E60 M5 2 months ago and picked up a 997 C2S PDK. The SMG was really getting to me in stop and go traffic. The PDK is definitely much smoother and easier to use. I have a 6 speed 996 as well and in some ways I miss the manual shift in the 997. Overall the 997 is really a great car and you really cant go wrong...except I miss the exhaust note of the V10! Good luck with your next purchase!
Good to see you hear. Thanks for the input on the PDK. I think Ill stick with a 6 speed for this car. I agree with you, the V10 sound is like no other. I love it, especially with a full RPI GT system.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 AM
So I posted the same question on Bimmerpost and got a lot of mixed responses. The real honest responses were similar to those here, if you dont need the extra room then go with the Porsche!! If you need a back seat and usability then buy the M3. I agree with both.

So now lets redirect this thread a little bit. Lets assume I pick up a nice .1C2S, what mods should I get to make the car a little more track ready but still very livable when driving around town? And how much would I need to spend. I was thinking a set of springs, sways, 18" track wheels with stick rubber, exhaust just because, track pads and maybe a tune. Am I missing anything?

Thanks again for your help!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S or E90 M3