997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Leather Dash care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Leather Dash care

Hey Guys after doing a bit of research I still can't find a definitive answer. Do you apply leather care products to the leather dash? I find articles that say yes and no. The no's indicate that the moisture from the leather balms can "lift" the leather off the dash?

I use Wolfgang cleaner and balm on my M3 with great results. I thought that it would be fine for the Porsche dash. Thoughts? What are you guys doing?

Last edited by Jako; 06-22-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Mspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the rough
I normally just clean with a dry dusting microfiber cloth. Have never used a cleaner, just a very slightly damp clean cloth from time to time, only as needed, and immediately dry off. Have applied leather conditioner just once in 4 years. Doesn't seem like the dash needs it, as it's never touched.

I never leave my car parked in direct sunlight for a long period. IMHO - that's the main thing that I think would harm the leather dash over time.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:32 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
303 protectant

Old 06-22-2013, 02:01 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
only zymol leather cleaner followed by zymol leather treat (conditioner).

Old 06-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Okay thanks . So a conditioner is okay then.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:37 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
I use Zymol myself and I am very satisfied with the product.The dash leather on vehicle gets a lot of sun while driving,all other leather is protected well from tinted windows!I use the cleaner and conditioner at least once a month.I have never seen any "leather lift"? from using the product over the last 6 years.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:55 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
I can't speak for other brands, but yes the zymol leather cleaner and "treat" conditioner are very safe to use. Extremely healthy for the leather.

A friend of mine just picked up his first porsche this week (with full leather interior) and the very first thing he's doing is applying these products to make sure it's as healthy as possible.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
I use Sonax and leaves my leather like brand new. It doesn't leave a sticky residue...

Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche does not recommend conditioner on the dash.

Dash leather, unlike seat leather, is treated in a specific way to withstand a ton of heat from the windshield/sun, and conditioning it has been a no-no for many years.

Seats, or parts your hands touch in the vehicle frequently, ok. But dash, never.

Wipe it with a damp or dry microfiber, no chemicals. If you want it to stay like new.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks Eric. This this exactly what I was referring to regarding differing opinions. So would you then treat the glove box? My glovebox seems like It needs a perk up as the leather is looking spotty

Old 06-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jako
Thanks Eric. This this exactly what I was referring to regarding differing opinions. So would you then treat the glove box? My glovebox seems like It needs a perk up as the leather is looking spotty
This is a good thread because it begs the question - if the seats and the dash are meant to be treated differently, then what about the rest of the car?

I, myself have leather A and B pilars and instrument surround as well as a leather headliner aside from the full leather doors and dash....

Looking forward to seeing a response!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM
sixgun95 is on a distinguished road
303 Aerospace Protectant

Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I haven't used anything since 2005, just a damp microfiber cloth is what the manufacturer recommends and I follow their instructions. I used to use leather conditioners and it gives you an oil look and it looks horrible.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
I use Sonax and it leaves the leather dry and rejuvenated!

Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM
ACRB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Porsche does not recommend conditioner on the dash.

Dash leather, unlike seat leather, is treated in a specific way to withstand a ton of heat from the windshield/sun, and conditioning it has been a no-no for many years.

Seats, or parts your hands touch in the vehicle frequently, ok. But dash, never.

Wipe it with a damp or dry microfiber, no chemicals. If you want it to stay like new.
That’s interesting about the leather being treated at the factory for excessive heat. (I wonder how they do it?)

My 930 Turbo dash shriveled like a potato chip in the Southern California sun. With the 997 I find a slightly damp microfiber cloth works well, except when my wife grabbed the dash is terror when I passed a slower car on the road, then I had to use a treatment of Zymol to get rid of the finger prints.