997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

05-06 Alternator/Battery Cable Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kellym
I've had slow crank issues as well, to the point of getting a dead battery and I've been stranded several times while parked away from home. The battery was less than a year old at the time, although it was some OEM brand the previous owner put in. I took my 911 into my dealer under CPO warranty and they replaced the alternator cable at no charge, thinking they solved the problem. My car is a 2005 C2S.

Something the dealer service rep told me was very interesting: the alternator does not always charge the battery while driving. I was told this is for performance reasons. So my Porsche 997 seems to be really hard on batteries, especially with stop-park-start again type driving around town, and the battery really wears down.

Now with a new alternator cable and also a new Interstate battery I still sense some slower cranking after a bunch of driving-parking-driving again around town. I don't notice the slower crank speeds at all if I've had the trickle charger on the night before, which tells me the battery isn't getting fully charged on some of my drives. I do like to take fast runs around some cloverleafs and really work the engine, but it's not always possible everyday. What do other people experience when doing a lot of city driving?

These experiences worry me a little bit and make me wonder if it's a good idea to even charge my smartphone and run a radar detector at the same time around town, further killing the battery if the alternator isn't charging it constantly. These electrical experiences are the only thing I don't like about my 911... not fun to get stranded and have to call for a boost. Twice.

Kelly
This is why to me a trickle charger is a no brainer. Even when off and locked the drain on the battery is constant (btw locking the car cuts down somewhat on battery drain). The generic of the Porsche charger can be had for under $100. Plugs into cigarette lighter. No guarantee it will stop the cable related hot start problem but it will keep you charged and batteries last longer. CTEK makes the best one. Porsche puts their name on it and doubles the price. Got mine from Amazon 6 years ago. Great stuff for modern cars, esp those that are not used daily. Good luck

Old 08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
schicago is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator Cable

Porshe should cover the cable and replacement. It is a widespread problem, and it proves that the design and location of the "Y" cable is faulty.
It shoud not take 6+ hours to replace a Y cable.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:30 AM
SlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of light
Dyi

Has anyone seen a decent DYI post anywhere? Anyone attempted it?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SlateC2S
Has anyone seen a decent DYI post anywhere? Anyone attempted it?
Link below to one DIY for the cable. Did the cable replacement using a post by Equinox but the link below uses his info anyway so it's almost identical. I did it on '07 C4S and if you have the tools it's probably a 5 out of ten. Bulk of the procedure centers around getting stuff out of the way. The cable replacement part is the easiest part of the whole procedure. Difference is nothing less than remarkable. Car actually starts up like even the cheapest car on the planet now. Just unbelievable that I had to replace a battery cable in my $ 100 K + Porsche to get it to start like a 20 year old Ford Taurus.

As for for a trickle charger being the work around, since I changed the cable I do not have to use the trickle charger anymore which was a PIA. Trickle charger is great for storing your car for long periods or over the winter but shouldn't be needed for short periods and definitely not a car being used everyday.

As to the question of wether or not you have the cable ? You have it unless you changed it out. Porsche didn't change the cable on the 997.1 cars.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tor-cable.html

Old 08-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gpjli
This is why to me a trickle charger is a no brainer. Even when off and locked the drain on the battery is constant (btw locking the car cuts down somewhat on battery drain). The generic of the Porsche charger can be had for under $100. Plugs into cigarette lighter. No guarantee it will stop the cable related hot start problem but it will keep you charged and batteries last longer. CTEK makes the best one. Porsche puts their name on it and doubles the price. Got mine from Amazon 6 years ago. Great stuff for modern cars, esp those that are not used daily. Good luck
My '12 Jag XF sits for weeks at a time and starts immediately without the need of a trickle charger. A constant battery drain significant enough to render a battery the size of the one used in the 997 unable to start the car would not be normal IMO and should be sorted out.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dadio
My '12 Jag XF sits for weeks at a time and starts immediately without the need of a trickle charger. A constant battery drain significant enough to render a battery the size of the one used in the 997 unable to start the car would not be normal IMO and should be sorted out.
Whatever you do, do NOT use a trickle charger

My car starts cold after 4 or more weeks w/o charger also. What it does not do with charger is exhibit slow hot restart issue which was original topic.

Would make sense to me that given a voltage drop of X % (put in a number) due to increased resistance of cable with engine hot, a battery that is fully charged will perform better than one that is at say 75% or less due to parasitic drain or short trips.

I get that this is not the solution others want. It works for me though.

To my knowledge Jaguar does not have the issue that started this post in the first place.

Glad you like your car though.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Gpjli;3914240]Whatever you do, do NOT use a trickle charger

"My car starts cold after 4 or more weeks w/o charger also. What it does not do with charger is exhibit slow hot restart issue which was original topic."

Since replacing the original Alternator to starter cable in my C4S with the improved cable my Porsche exhibits no slow restart issues, hot or cold, at all and it no longer needs to be on a trickle charger, battery booster, battery maintainer, Ctek, etc....period.

My Jag never suffered from a slow hot starting issue because it wasn't delivered with a poorly engineered alternator to battery cable.

If your car will not turn over when hot with the same enthusiasum as it does when cold I suggest you have it tested for a deffective alternator to starter wiring harness. Slow starting shouldn't be explained away as a unique Porsche design characteristic requiring constant battery charging intervention to overcome.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=Dadio;3914443]
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Whatever you do, do NOT use a trickle charger

"My car starts cold after 4 or more weeks w/o charger also. What it does not do with charger is exhibit slow hot restart issue which was original topic."

Since replacing the original Alternator to starter cable in my C4S with the improved cable my Porsche exhibits no slow restart issues, hot or cold, at all and it no longer needs to be on a trickle charger, battery booster, battery maintainer, Ctek, etc....period.

My Jag never suffered from a slow hot starting issue because it wasn't delivered with a poorly engineered alternator to battery cable.

If your car will not turn over when hot with the same enthusiasum as it does when cold I suggest you have it tested for a deffective alternator to starter wiring harness. Slow starting shouldn't be explained away as a unique Porsche design characteristic requiring constant battery charging intervention to overcome.
Oh here we are again. I see now. Here's my advice to you: Read my posts. If you still would like to pursue what you think I should do and why I should do it PM me. Until then I will continue to enjoy my Porsche as I have for the past 7.5 years and 36K miles and trickle charge the battery when I am not driving it. By now neone still wasting their time on this thread knows what the problem is and what the choices are. And use spellcheck. I'm outta here.

Last edited by Gpjli; 08-12-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
subscribing

Old 06-06-2017, 10:26 AM
AGarcia03 is an unknown quantity at this point
06 Porsche Cayenne V6 Base Alternator issue

Hello Im having voltage drop and from my test looks like the alternator isn't doing its job. Its a hitachi alternator water cooled was wondering if the regulator can be changed on these or not. I was also wondering if you could possible pull of the back of the alternator without taking off the pulleys and taking out the alternator. There is some access back there but not much,didn't know if it was possible. would anything else cause the voltage to drop and stall on a idle? i have a brand new battery and was doing voltage drop before the new one its acting better then before but still has the drop and now stalls from time to time at a idle stance.

Thank You!

Old 06-06-2017, 10:50 PM
LeNoah is on a distinguished road
This is not just a '05 - '06 issue. Had the problem on my '08 C2S. Replaced cable
under factory warranty -- end of problem.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:43 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AGarcia03
Hello Im having voltage drop and from my test looks like the alternator isn't doing its job. Its a hitachi alternator water cooled was wondering if the regulator can be changed on these or not. I was also wondering if you could possible pull of the back of the alternator without taking off the pulleys and taking out the alternator. There is some access back there but not much,didn't know if it was possible. would anything else cause the voltage to drop and stall on a idle? i have a brand new battery and was doing voltage drop before the new one its acting better then before but still has the drop and now stalls from time to time at a idle stance.

Thank You!
You'll have better luck resolving your problem in the Cayenne forum than in this 997 one.