997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Chirping under acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:08 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Chirping under acceleration

I have a modified '06 997.1 C2S cab (6sp MT) with 58K miles.
Modifications include:

-Vividracing single turbo kit with custom exhaust (200 cell race cats)
- short shifter
- stage 2 clutch

At the time of the turbo install, I also had the water pump and the expansion tank replaced as well as the shifter linkage cable.

Last night, after a short stint of WOT acceleration, I noticed a distinct chirping in the engine compartment. The chirping only comes on during acceleration (not during constant speed or idle) and increases in frequency as speed increases.

I'm thinking it is a belt (serpentine belt? Other belt?).

Open to comments/opinions/suggestions.

I read in another posting that spraying WD40 on the surface of the serpentine belt makes the chirp go away. Any risks or downsides to that trick?

I will be going in for 60K service soon, which will also involve a full brake replacement on all 4 corners, and I would like to wait until then to address the chirp permanently.

I look forward to any comments.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
You should not use WD40 on the belt.

The belt should be quiet and not make any noise. If it is the belt you need to figure out what's wrong.

Check the belt for degradation or sharp edges. A sharp edge is a sign the belt is misaligned and this is often due to an accessory drive with excessive (read any) play. Water pump is often the culprit. Sure your car has a new one but they can fail at any time.

Remove the belt -- note its routing and direction of rotation -- and check all accessory drives for any play. Check the idler roller bearings any signs of trouble. Ditto the tensioner roller bearing. Check the tensioner appears to be ok, that it hasn't lost its tension.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Thanks Macster,
Sounds like I'll be visiting my mechanic a little sooner. Appreciate the feedback.