997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY Porsche 997 Key Shell Transplant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:32 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
This is a great write up. Clear and very detailed pics with instructions. I think our moderators should put this on our sticky page.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:00 AM
W211 is on a distinguished road
Great post, I suppose the two button one below should work right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-PO...eb4bd3&vxp=mtr

Or if this one is the same, no shipping cost and even cheaper, although shipping out of China..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-PO...00931566547%26

Last edited by W211; 09-28-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:56 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by W211

^ This is the one I should have bought for my coupe. Although it was a mistake, I found the non-functional third button adds a little extra detail in that blank space below the chromed piece. So the choice is yours; both will work.

The one from China looks the same. Might be worth a try, and let us know how you find the quality.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:09 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by W211

Or if this one is the same, no shipping cost and even cheaper, although shipping out of China..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-PO...00931566547%26
Transferring your 2 button transmitter into a 3 button shell isn't going to give you any additional 3rd button functionality.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slicky rick
This is a great write up. Clear and very detailed pics with instructions. I think our moderators should put this on our sticky page.
I linked it to the DIY section that is sticked up top.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM
PSPorsche

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
^ This is the one I should have bought for my coupe. Although it was a mistake, I found the non-functional third button adds a little extra detail in that blank space below the chromed piece. So the choice is yours; both will work.

The one from China looks the same. Might be worth a try, and let us know how you find the quality.
Ok, I just ordered thanks for your excellent notes, will keep everyone posted here.

Thanks again for sharing your successful experiment.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Thumbs up PSPorsche

Finally had the courage to go through the transplant today.

Thanks to the great post, everything worked, except I was so careful with the transponder it took me an hour to get through everything.

.2 key is certainly heavier but feels much more substantial and of higher quality.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 6.01.29 PM.png
Views:	342
Size:	856.7 KB
ID:	305265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 6.01.06 PM.png
Views:	340
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	305266  
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
W211- This is neat but did you do all of this for looks? Or is there another benefit?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Perk10
W211- This is neat but did you do all of this for looks? Or is there another benefit?
Dropped my .1 key too many times it already cracked open once, thought the .2 swap is a kind of insurance, plus, it looks a little newer, for $23, worth trying out, and glad I did.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:26 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
have the $23 key from ebay. been using for a while. word of caution if it has not been said here, the battery is critical when you install this make sure it locks into position there is a small tab and if the battery is not locked into position you will think there is something wrong with the key. otherwise all is a simple process as written here. great little key. actually i think i feels better to hold than the oem. but the chrome part of the key where the key ring fits is very easy to scratch…a mark of low quality chroming process..what can we expect from such a price. otherwise, this is how much the key housing should only cost. thes car manufacturers have a way of getting our money

Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
looks, better feel, doesnt unlock your car/trunk when key in pocket.

it has much much much better overall feel.

Originally Posted by Perk10

Old 11-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by myw
looks, better feel, doesnt unlock your car/trunk when key in pocket.

it has much much much better overall feel.
I've got Smart Top so that's not a concern of mine but cool to know that it feels different! I'll have to check that out

Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the post! My old key was real beat up. The new one is a lot nicer. The instructions were a great help.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 AM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
After converting my .1 to .2 recently, I thought I would change to the .2 key head as well and hoping to minimise the unintentional pressing of the un/lock button.

Initially after the switched the new head was able un/lock the car, but the key could not start the car. Scared the hell out of me! But luckily a quick search turned out this wonderful thread and I quickly learnt that there's a transponder which needed to be transferred too (step 5). And here's the result:

Thank to OP for this great DIY write up!

Old 01-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Jpara98 is on a distinguished road
Hey all, I finally did this as well. Everything transferred well. I transferred all guts and the key starts the car. However the lock/unlock and boot key do not function. I realigned everything and the buttons click nicely....just not working. The car was sitting for 7 days or so without being unlocked or started, I did the key swap and then tried to unlock and start.

I had to unlock the driver door manually and the car started first try with the replacement. Any ideas?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Porsche 997 Key Shell Transplant