997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Door Latch Spring Broken?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Luckymba is on a distinguished road
Door Latch Spring Broken?

Hi all. Was opening my door from the inside after running around town and heard a loud "PING". The door latch on the inside is now hanging loose. I can still open the door from the inside, but the latch no longer makes contact with the door.

Some of you might not know this (I didn't) but the inside door latch controls the automatic up and down of the window when the door opens and closes. From the inside with my door closed the latch no longer makes contact and doesn't automatically raise my window when the door is shut. If I press it back against the door, contact is made and the window goes up. I let go and it goes down a hair.

Anyway, I now need to get this fixed. Anyone done this before? I change my own oil and replaced my muffler for the fisterD mufflers but other than that am limited in my mechanical skill. I saw a diy post on removing the door panel. What else does this fix entail?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 PM
sixgun95 is on a distinguished road
Happened to me yesterday, going to dealer Thurs to get fixed. The service writer told me the cable broke.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Luckymba is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sixgun95
Happened to me yesterday, going to dealer Thurs to get fixed. The service writer told me the cable broke.
When you get the work completed can you let me know the cost? Thanks for the info.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Here are the parts you need.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//9X7HL.html
Your going to pay around $250.00 bucks to have the dealer do it...

Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Docofthebay is on a distinguished road
Happened to me too. Somewhere around $200 at my indie.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
It'll take a about 1-2 hours to fix. Most of that getting the door panel off carefully. Since the latch works, it's most likely the axial mount and not the cable.

Its not hard to do, but its sort of time consuming to get the door panel off. Once it is off, the axial mount is on the inside of the door panel and easy to swap. if that is all that is broken AND the old cable fits whatever replacement axial mount you have then you're good. To replace the cable, you need to remove the inner door panel and get to the end of the cable inside the door on the latch which is not easy to reach. I opted to spend the time to get the cable end on the latch w/o removing the latch since I didn't want to deal with alignment issues removing the latch bolts. It takes some dexterity but not hard.

Tools you need are torx drivers, I think a philips driver, and a set of trim removal tools.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
sixgun95 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Luckymba
When you get the work completed can you let me know the cost? Thanks for the info.
I can ask but mine is under CPO.