997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Warming your car up before driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:46 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
same as most, start up and drive off with a min or so. Don t push it until temps are up.

FYI/997.2 One time I stopped to talk to someone and left the car running for maybe 10 mins , don t know lost track of time. Drove home maybe a mile and put it away. The next day I left on a long ride and when I got there and looked at the rear of the car it was very black from the exhaust. Only happened that one time and I assume it had something to do with the long idle time the day before.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:51 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sameerg
Man! you guys have too much time on your hands to let idle drop before starting off. How many times a day can you do that? Unless you drive your car like once a week or something.
It's called...C4S Play....get it?
Enjoy the warm up.
Like sniffing wine.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
I pretty much do the same thing everyone is doing. Idle for a minute or two and take off...Once the oil temperature reaches around 200f, I put it on sport....and the fun begins.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 AM
ellery is on a distinguished road
the increased idle RPM at startup is to help warm up the catalytic converter quicker as it only really works when hot.... driving off before that happens means that your ECU will be running a richer fuel-map as it's not getting accurate feedback from the O2 sensors.

I idle for about 30 seconds before backing out, and keep RPM down until oil's hot as others mentioned.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I start it up and drive away with light throttle and stay below 3K rpm until the oil temp hits 200F. By the way, the popping exhaust sound on the 2005-2008 models during a cold startup is a result of the late ignition timing combined with the exhaust air pump needed to get the catalysts up to temp asap to reduce emmisions. The DFI engines do not have an air pump.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
My 2009 C2S makes some wild noise when is cold. Within 30 seconds it comes down an becomes tamed. I have a Tubi exhaust system.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ
I start it and leave when idle drops.
I think all the waiting for the idle speed to drop does is waste gas. The engine is configured to be run at higher revs to compensate for the coldness of the engine, but driving off is what its designed to do as soon as you crank it and the engine fires.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Minok
I think all the waiting for the idle speed to drop does is waste gas. The engine is configured to be run at higher revs to compensate for the coldness of the engine, but driving off is what its designed to do as soon as you crank it and the engine fires.
We all know that,...we enjoy C4play !!!...lol...

Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Robocop305
My 2009 C2S makes some wild noise when is cold. Within 30 seconds it comes down an becomes tamed. I have a Tubi exhaust system.
I know! I hate to interrupt it by driving off so quick!

Old 10-29-2013, 04:35 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Originally Posted by Minok
If your worried about that small amount of gas burning in a 45-60sec span you might wanna invest in a hybrid?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 PM
too tall will become famous soon enough
Ahh, it turns out this is a religious topic (wink). This is probably not rocket science as some of you gently suggest. I'll go with my gut and at least wait for the fast idle to reset, maybe that habit is a hold out from my recently divorced hotrod days letting the carb clear after starting up. Running the engine rich for no good reason feels wrong. Correct me if I'm not right about this.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Those brake lights look cool. How can I make mine do the same?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:08 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Robocop305
Those brake lights look cool. How can I make mine do the same?
just look that way because of the video camera - they don't really strobe.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 AM
too tall will become famous soon enough
Back on point...

Has anyone read this ? Makes alot of sense >> http://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/

Old 10-30-2013, 05:14 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by too tall
Back on point...

Has anyone read this ? Makes alot of sense >> http://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/
Yes...but it really is an old post (even though it says 2011). No longer is there "one man, one engine" manufacturing so I'm sure there are other factual errors in the write-up also. I just had the factory tour this summer and the engines do go down an assembly line - it's a pretty efficient process. Also, I don't think the Boxster and Cayman are made in Finland any longer. Still an interesting read though. Thanks for the link.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warming your car up before driving