997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Warming your car up before driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:56 AM
too tall will become famous soon enough
Warming your car up before driving

What's your best practice? I like to see the oil temp come up a bit before starting driving and take it easy for a few mins. until I see ~200.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:22 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
+1 to the no need to wait to let it warm up before getting on your way.

I'll idle it for 5 seconds upon startup, back out of the garage and then keep the R's low until the oil temp comes up.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
I start it and wait til the idle drops on its own. Usually about a minute or two but I keep it below 4k rpm til the oil is above 200

Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by wc11
I start it and wait til the idle drops on its own. Usually about a minute or two but I keep it below 4k rpm til the oil is above 200
I wait till high idle drops,... Maybe 45 seconds tops,...then drive easy until oil temp needle moves up...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
shyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond repute
The manual specifically says not to idle the car for long, even if its cold weather. So I think the best practice would be to not drive hard until the temp is up to normal operating range - maybe keep it under 4k rpm. I have never let the car sit idling - never in my '86 3.2, never in my 996 and, never in my 997.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
Glad others are chiming in with some of the same questions I wanted to ask.

So you 997.2 guys...is there some sort of air pump system that's feeding the intake or something on cold start up? I have the fabspeed x pipe and open PSE on my car and it sounds like a mild cup car on start up! :-)) Not so much of a high idle sound (which it is doing) but more of a throaty raspy sound. Just wondered if it was normal?

BTW...that's what I've been doing per the previous owners...start it up, idle down, take off and keep it below 3k or so until I see temperatures going up. I don't ever run it real hard until I see 175 or more on the oil temp.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:44 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
I have Fabspeed x-pipe and Maxflo mufflers,...I have the same sound you do,...Love it!!!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Wheeler
Glad others are chiming in with some of the same questions I wanted to ask.

So you 997.2 guys...is there some sort of air pump system that's feeding the intake or something on cold start up? I have the fabspeed x pipe and open PSE on my car and it sounds like a mild cup car on start up! :-)) Not so much of a high idle sound (which it is doing) but more of a throaty raspy sound. Just wondered if it was normal?
I think that the exhaust gases are used to warm up the catalytic converter and this is controlled through the ECU (the gases may be re-routed, if this is possible, which may account for the raspy-ness?). Here is a link from RL that touches on this

lhttp://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-start-up.html

Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
Good info! Thanks!

And yes I enjoy the sound at start up! Sounds as if something sinister is about to happen!

Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM
fjr_wertheimber has a spectacular aura aboutfjr_wertheimber has a spectacular aura about
I'll say this, my 997.1 always sounds meaner to me at startup, too. Oh, and I don't let it idle, I just take off, but keep it below 4K rpms until the oil temp reaches ~200.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
I always wait for the idle to drop down before I go.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
Man! you guys have too much time on your hands to let idle drop before starting off. How many times a day can you do that? Unless you drive your car like once a week or something.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sameerg
Man! you guys have too much time on your hands to let idle drop before starting off. How many times a day can you do that? Unless you drive your car like once a week or something.
Yup. I commute by ferry to work, so I only use the car on weekends mostly. I usually have the time to let it warm up a little. I think it only takes 3 minutes (never timed it) maybe for the idle to drop.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
I start it and leave when idle drops.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:39 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
3 min! Something is diff with your car...mine is just about 30 secs how cold os it at your place

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warming your car up before driving