997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Driving impressions of the 991 (compared to my 997.2)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 06:11 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Driving impressions of the 991 (compared to my 997.2)...

Hi all,

I finally had a chance to test drive a brand new 2014 991 Base Coupe stick. This is a direct comparison to my 2012 997.2 Base Coupe stick.

Here are my impressions: The car drove beautifully, but I felt a big disconnect compared to my 997. The road feel wasn't there (this could be a good thing for people who want a smoother ride). I felt it was more of a sedan ride, rather than a sports car. The steering felt fine, but in conjunction with the smoother ride, it seemed to have lost something (not sure I can actually explain it, but again, a disconnect from being a sports car).

The handling around turns was impressive, felt very sticky. But again, I felt it lacked some of the drama that I feel when the back end kicks out just a little bit when I take a turn hard in my 997.

The quietness compared to my 997 was astounding, save for the piped in exhaust note (that sounded great) until I realized it was piped in. You can actually hear it being piped in. That lost a big something for me. I don't mind hearing some road noise, adds to the overall experience of driving. The 991 didn't have this.

The interior is laid out nicely. A few more buttons overall compared to the 997. Took a bit of getting used to, but no biggie. The PCM was almost identical to the PCM in the 997, save BT Audio and a couple other user controlled options. The GPS mapping visually looked the same and the layout was the same for inputting, etc. No real changes there.

One big thing I did notice was the electronic parking brake (weird to me on a sports car) the hill assistant feature,that actually held you in place on a hill, without you having to have your foot on the brake and there was one time when I stalled out and the engine started back up on its own.

The car is truly the next level of the way high end cars are being designed in 2014. Most all the features you come to expect in a MBZ, BMW or Audi sedan.

It is truly very impressive in pretty much every way. I'm just not sure I want that level of smoothness-quietness-handing ability and super high end luxury appointments in a sports car. Yes, they are all nice, but it seems to take away from the overall gestalt of the sports car experience.

I liken it to Jeremy Clarkson comparing a McLaren to a Lambo. He said the McLaren was superior in every way, but he would rather have the Lambo as it was just more fun to drive, more drama, more theater.

I am sure I will get flamed for this and that's fine. I can afford to buy a 991, but chose a 997 instead.

To me, it is just more fun to drive.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

PS: Of the 3 sales people I spoke to when purchasing my car (from going to different dealerships), 2 of them said the same things to me in regards to the 991. They actually used expression "It has lost some of its soul". These are people who sell them for a living.

Last edited by socalsteve; 11-30-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:22 PM
SFZGT3 is on a distinguished road
Steve, great report. You captured the essence of "advancement" vs " tradition" very well. If you get flamed, it might be due to some feelings of newer must be better which is not always the case. Hopefully there is a "next" Porsche for me in the future. But for now, my Aerokit 997S does it all.

Enjoy your new ride!

Old 11-30-2013, 08:15 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
thanks for the honest appraisal...im very happy with my 06 C4,unless something mechanically happens I willdrive it till it dies..

Old 11-30-2013, 08:40 PM
997zen is on a distinguished road
Thanks Steve for the ride report. Seems to be what I expected based on several test drives in 997's, both base and S.
991 may be a ways off, still looking for the right 997 S !

Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 PM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
Your impressions match almost exactly what I felt when I traded in my 996 C4S for my current 09 C2S. Lost some soul but kept enough to satisfy. I doubt I'll trade up again.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:36 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
Porsche has been refining their cars for many years. The American driver wants the creature comforts. I drove a 2014 991 S cab manual the other day. Not only do I love the exterior but I love the ****pit (kinda feels like one now). They did a great job updating, refining and giving an edge to the interior.
Oh yeah, it was fun as hell to drive!!! More fun than my PDK 997.2 S cab with/chrono. Fast and tight. Drove for less than 10 mins do can't give a full report but it definitely made me miss driving my 997 S manual. Don't want to start manual vs PDK discussion. Love my PDK but I miss going through the gears. PDK in manual just does NOT cut it.
Anyway - I love the new 991 S but NOT enough to trade my car in plus a barrel of cash.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:53 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
I think that the newest 991 is a step toward the 911 becoming Porsche's "GT car" and the newest Cayman/Boxster moving up to true "sports car" status. I really do not care for the new 911's proportions compared to my 997.2.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
Great honest review. I have yet to drive a 991. The looks of the base car do NOT do it for me at all. The aero with the duck tail looks pretty good. It's been out for a while now and still not doing it for me. Maybe this is Porsche setting themselves up for a big release off the 991.2 with some styling changes and a button with artificial road feedback. My 997.2 has piped in sound as well, only it uses the windows or sunroof.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:41 PM
What do you mean piped in sound? And is that true on my 997.2 S with PSE?
I like the way porsche is slowly changing the shape of the 911.
My order of looks

Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
good review shared by others I speak to.

A great ride but for some its not what they want in a sports car.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Romysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud of
Great writeup! Perhaps sentiments like this could eventually make the 997 the next 993.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Everyone thinks their model is "the" model. I think the next consensus favorite will be the last model that still offered a MT. Thes cars will be the highest horsepower cars available with MTs. They will be sought after for many many years to come. Think about owning the last MT 911 that Porsche ever made.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 PM
rvc
rvc is on a distinguished road
I think for those of us who prefer the 997 its because it IS more involving as a pure driver compared to the 991...we enjoy the visceral aspects which Porsche may have engineered "out" of the newer cars....its been said that each successive Porsche 911 gets better,faster,more refined and of course it has but in doing so it HAS lost that special something .....I have enjoyed my fleet over the years('83 944, '78 SC, '95 911, '96 C4s and current '06C4s)...immensely for precisely that reason....they were/are raw,loud,not as easy to drive well compared to the newer cars and FUN! They have all been daily drivers when I had them and theres "more" to a car that makes you think a little, work a little to earn a daily thrill.....not so sure the newer,smoother,quieter, more refined Porsches' would "do" it for me...

Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 AM
SFZGT3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rvc
I think for those of us who prefer the 997 its because it IS more involving as a pure driver compared to the 991...we enjoy the visceral aspects which Porsche may have engineered "out" of the newer cars....its been said that each successive Porsche 911 gets better,faster,more refined and of course it has but in doing so it HAS lost that special something .....I have enjoyed my fleet over the years('83 944, '78 SC, '95 911, '96 C4s and current '06C4s)...immensely for precisely that reason....they were/are raw,loud,not as easy to drive well compared to the newer cars and FUN! They have all been daily drivers when I had them and theres "more" to a car that makes you think a little, work a little to earn a daily thrill.....not so sure the newer,smoother,quieter, more refined Porsches' would "do" it for me...
++++1

Love the latest gen cars, but there is something special and engaging about the 997 and back. Mine is not a DD, and that makes a good deal of difference to many, but I still smile every time I even think about driving my 997.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
I am still stuck on the fact that there is no MT in the higher HP cars. Therefore, I know that my next sports car will be either a TT, GT3 or GT2. (997 6 speed)... I just hope I get there before they're too tough to obtain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving impressions of the 991 (compared to my 997.2)...