997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

squeaky noise cold start 2005 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 PM
tc65 is on a distinguished road
squeaky noise cold start 2005 997

Hi,

I own a 2006 997 C2 and when i do a cold start i hear this squeaky sound comming from the engine bay. At first i thought it was a pulley or the belt, but i've replaced those and i still hear this sound! I stays like this for about 2 minutes and afterwards the car sounds normal for the rest of the day, until the next cold start. Maybe the waterpump??

Thanks,

Tony

Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Sounds like an idler pulley to me.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Agree with Cattman: Idler pulley or at any rate something with the accessory drive.

The water pump is certainly a possibility. Did the old belt have a sharp edge? If so its rubbing on the side of a pulley and this is a sign of excessive bearing play in an accessory drive.

Also, if you know you can expect the noise every cold start remove the accessory drive belt and then cold start the engine. If the noise is absent then after you install the belt and restart the engine returns well you know.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Water pump bearings are starting to let go. Get it replaced asap.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
sounds like water pump to me

Old 12-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the reply. I think i will have my waterpump replaced. Is this urgent? I have to do my maintenance in two months. Can this damage anything? I use this car as a daily driver.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tc65
Hi all,

Thanks for the reply. I think i will have my waterpump replaced. Is this urgent? I have to do my maintenance in two months. Can this damage anything? I use this car as a daily driver.
I wouldn't risk it. If it fails you could overheat the engine and warp the heads.
Should cost about $2k to have replaced at the dealer.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 PM
asuser is on a distinguished road
Squeaky noise

Hi Tony,

I have watched your video and have exactly the same symptoms.
May you please let me know what was the cause of this problem and how you got it solved.
Thanks a lot.

Sergio

Old 03-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by asuser
Hi Tony,

I have watched your video and have exactly the same symptoms.
May you please let me know what was the cause of this problem and how you got it solved.
Thanks a lot.

Sergio
Hi, it was just the belt! I had it replaced by a non official Porsche speciaIist. The first garage I took my car to didn't replace the belt!! I use my 997 as a daily driver. Waterpump is still good. It doesn't always have to be expensive! 😄. Good luck

Last edited by tc65; 03-14-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-14-2015, 09:09 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
WATER PUMP!!!

This sounds extremely similar to (if not exactly the same as) my recent failed water pump just a couple of days ago.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...moke-leak.html

Old 03-15-2015, 12:28 AM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
old thread, but ill play... I couldn't tell anything from the video. if I suspect a belt and/or pulley, I take the belt off and spin any of the pulleys that will freely spin by hand to check for bearing chatter.

I just replaced my neighbors belt last Thursday, and oddly enough, a small pebble/stone has lodged itself onto not only the belt, but also had burned itself onto the water pump pulley.

he is at 56k on his 07...average miles. original water pump. regarding the WP, with the belt off, I checked the WP bearing for play, and every 1/8th turn, the play was consistent at between what I'd call 1/32nd" to a 1/64th".

I just replaced my WP on my 08 car with 41k miles, and I only had such play
mentioned above in one spot only in checking the pulley. I did mine strictly as preventative maintenance. btw... when I bought my car with 32k miles on the clock, my idler was bad . They are certainly cheap enough to buy and DIY as prev maintenance.... I may consider doing so in the next 10k miles.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:50 AM
asuser is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

After taking my 997C4S from 2005 / 72,000 Km to the Porsche garage for this noise and getting the 2 idler pulleys + the 1 tension pulley and belt replaced the annoyance is slightly starting to come back.
It ran fine for 2,500 Km but now it's coming back.
I am desperate...
Shall I replace the alternator ? To me it sounds like a bearing in there..
Any support is appreciated.

Cheers

Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Before throwing money away swapping parts try and narrow down the source of the problem. Start with a cheap mechanics stethoscope like this one:
Amazon.com: Lisle 52500 Mechanic's Stethoscope: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 52500 Mechanic's Stethoscope: Automotive

With the noise present, probe around the major noise sources to find the loudest spot. Be careful around the moving pulleys and belt, touch the non-movable metal spots near them. Once you find the loudest item, remove the serpentine belt and manually spin the pulley. Check for "grinding", looseness, play, basically anything other than a smooth rolling action. It could be a water pump, alternator, air conditioner pulley or maybe even something else (AOS?). Good luck.

Last edited by semicycler; 07-22-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:21 AM
carlosah is on a distinguished road
Secondary Air Injection Pump, Porsche part # 997 605 104 02 it is ridiculous what Porsche sells this part for (around $800) Seems Bosch makes the pump and it is a shared part with Audi, I believe part # 06A 959 253 E for just a fraction of the cost. There are some DIY to refurbish the pump if you are a handy man. I am willing to put money it is the Secondary Air injection Pump. I have the same issue.

I was told it is not hurting anything and it is somewhat normal, the pump just needs lubrication inside. I just haven't personally gotten around to get it out and open it.

Last edited by carlosah; 11-18-2015 at 10:24 AM.