997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Road trips - how far have you gone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
ronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by devil boy

Just recently took a round trip from Phoenix to Santa Fe up through the mountains and on the way back took the lesser traveled route down through New Mexico and found a ribbon of asphalt that wound its way through the NM countryside with only an occasional car or motorcycle every 10 miles or so.
Devil: would you mind disclosing the name of said ribbon of asphalt?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Based on my time in NM just about any non-interstate road in NM any distance from a major metro area. (Same goes for AZ. And NV.)

I once took 84 north from I-40 to I-25 and once away from I-40 there was hardly any traffic until I got close to I-25.

Highway 54, when it is not following I-40, is like that too the sections I've been on. At least in NM. In TX smoky bears haunt 54.

Just to make this clear, there can be livestock in places (open range or just a break in a fence), or wildlife (deer or other creatures), and smoky bears or county mounties and in very berg (wide spot) you pass through city kitties, each eager to add a Porsche to the list of vehicles cited.

So just because the road is empty doesn't mean it will remain so.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:45 AM
dc7
dc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nice
i love long trips in my car. 1300 miles one way, no problem. colorado to mississippi and back a couple weeks later. it's comfortable and fun. plenty of stretches of long, vacant asphalt in NE new mexico and the texas pan handle. all you need is a co driver to keep you company and a good radar detector. porsche 911: turning 19 hour drives into 16 hour drives since 1963!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Fatush is on a distinguished road
I recently drove my 997.2 4S almost 5,000 miles the long way home from Fredericksburg VA to NorCal; the trip report is here.

As was mentioned above, no problems, no flats, no fines...well, the 911 took a couple of rocks and the Passport 9500 saved me a number of times...but it was an awesome trip and I frequently find myself daydreaming of the next road trip...this is the first car that I've owned which I could drive all day long and feel perfect afterwards...even when driving for 10 days straight!

Old 12-10-2013, 02:58 PM
devil boy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ronole
Devil: would you mind disclosing the name of said ribbon of asphalt?
HWY 117. Took 117 off the I-40 south to HWY 36 south to HWY 60 west through Show Low and Globe home to Phoenix. Very little in the way of civilization out there but I did keep seeing a road sign for Pie Town which always intrigued me.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:01 PM
dc7
dc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Fatush
I recently drove my 997.2 4S almost 5,000 miles the long way home from Fredericksburg VA to NorCal; the trip report is here.

As was mentioned above, no problems, no flats, no fines...well, the 911 took a couple of rocks and the Passport 9500 saved me a number of times...but it was an awesome trip and I frequently find myself daydreaming of the next road trip...this is the first car that I've owned which I could drive all day long and feel perfect afterwards...even when driving for 10 days straight!
i love my passport 9500ix. it has only failed me once and i'm pretty sure the cop had just turned his radar detector on when he saw me. i got about .5 second of KA band then blue lights. 77 in a 55. no big deal. since i started driving a porsche, i have started looking for reasons to drive. it's no longer a chore.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 AM
too tall will become famous soon enough
HWY 117. Took 117 off the I-40 south to HWY 36 south to HWY 60 west through Show Low and Globe home to Phoenix. Very little in the way of civilization out there but I did keep seeing a road sign for Pie Town which always intrigued me.
That place is famous. I've ridden my bicycle across the USA three times and would not miss it.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
I thought I took long road trips.

My longest was from NC up to Traverse City, up around the great lakes to Collingwood Ontaria and then back to NC.

In Traverse I met a guy who drove down from Anchorage Alaska. 3657 miles and 66 hours per google maps ONE WAY.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 PM
ronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud of
Thanks, man. Noted for future reference!

Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 PM
bzimpfer is on a distinguished road
Heading to PHX in the am - quality time with the new ride.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	313990  
Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
Go, drive the Porsche and enjoy. I did tampa, fl to upstate Ny ~ 1500 miles. No problemo

Old 12-21-2013, 10:26 AM
kchociej will become famous soon enoughkchociej will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Macster

Only one tire problem. I had the Turbo road worthiness inspected and the tech cautioned me about the rear tires. They were down to the wear bars. I thought I could get at least 2K miles out of them and have them replaced at say Springfield MO Porsche dealer.
I never understand the sports car owners who are cheap about tires. Tires are one of the most important things about on a car. The extra money on premium tires is well spent and very indicative of how a previous owner maintains a car overall.

But going on a 2,000 mile drive with questionable tires? Absolutely ridiculous.

Furthest I drove in my 911 (996) was Chicago to Miami in October of 2012. Car was flawless.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Well, I'm not usually cheap about tires but well maybe was a bit. I get very good life out the tires on my two Porsches and almost worn out means there can be easily another 2K miles of highway driving left in them.

I was setting out just before T-giving and didn't want to wait for tires to come in. My work schedule is very hectic and I never know when I'll get a break so I have no real advance notice and this makes it hard to plan ahead.

The Springfield dealer treated me pretty good once before when I stopped in unannounced and we got talking about tires and the price I was quoted would have reflected a considerable savings over what I was paying out here.

But things didn't work out and I have modified my behavior to when the tech tells me tires are worn out to take this info seriously (well, more seriously than before) and get the tires replaced sooner rather than later.

Really: In fact, just the other day I had the Boxster in and the tech said tires are due and while I have in the past continued to drive the Boxster on such tires this time I gave the go-ahead and got new rear tires installed.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Volnomad is on a distinguished road
I just completed a 3950 mile road trip from Seattle, WA to Columbia, SC via LA after picking up a new-to-me 911. I will be posting a new travelogue thread describing the adventure with pics and Porsche stories very soon.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:34 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Solo trip from Brooklyn NYC to Dallas TX, no spare, and a full trunk and front and rear seats loaded w/stuff. Car Had sport buckets. 2 days. No flats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Road trips - how far have you gone?