997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ashtray lid replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Jgpapillon is on a distinguished road
Ashtray lid replacement

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase an ashtray lid replacement for an 06 997? There is nothing wrong with the lid itself or the ashtray, except for that pesky Porsche paint. Does Porsche sells the paint? Probably not..
I would consider a ashtray delete, is the dealer the only purchase option?

Thank you for any feedback

j

Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=997s_intcare

haven't been able to find the lid only

Old 01-12-2014, 01:16 AM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
$189!?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
I believe there's a Porsche dismantler in LA that might have a replacement. They advertise from time to time in Panorama. You can also get Behr paint to match in small sample batches at Home Depot.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 AM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
If your ashtray lid is black, there is an easy solution (and it's free!). Here's what I did:

It's pretty easy to remove the ashtray lid. Put it in a sink with hot water, not hot enough to burn you, using just normal hot water from the tap. Leave it sitting for just a minute or so to heat up, then rub the surface vigorously with your thumbs and fingers, pressing fairly hard while rubbing. The remaining coating will flake off pretty easily (at least it did on my 2006), no solvents are required. Gentle use of your fingernail will take any tough spots off easily, but don't use your fingernail too aggressively to prevent scratching.

It took me around 5 minutes to remove all of the coating. The underlying black plastic looked good. It has a mild and even surface texture. Reinstall after drying. I thought it ended up just fine, much better than it did with scratched up coating and it didn't stand out as being incompatible with the remaining console. I even considered doing this to the rest of the console but never did.

If you don't like it, it's no big loss since you are planning on replacing it anyway. Of course, attempt this at your own risk! Note that if you console isn't black this doesn't help you.

I took the attached photos when I did this. You can see how the coating just flaked off in chunks. Notice the resulting surface sheen is pretty flat and even.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	320454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	320455  

Last edited by StormRune; 01-12-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
I'm pretty sure there is a DIY somewhere on this site that tells the paint codes and translates that into either Home Depot or Lowes paint codes so you can paint the ashtray save the $$.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:56 PM
ACRB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by StormRune
If your ashtray lid is black, there is an easy solution (and it's free!). Here's what I did:

It's pretty easy to remove the ashtray lid. Put it in a sink with hot water, not hot enough to burn you, using just normal hot water from the tap. Leave it sitting for just a minute or so to heat up, then rub the surface vigorously with your thumbs and fingers, pressing fairly hard while rubbing. The remaining coating will flake off pretty easily (at least it did on my 2006), no solvents are required. Gentle use of your fingernail will take any tough spots off easily, but don't use your fingernail too aggressively to prevent scratching.

It took me around 5 minutes to remove all of the coating. The underlying black plastic looked good. It has a mild and even surface texture. Reinstall after drying. I thought it ended up just fine, much better than it did with scratched up coating and it didn't stand out as being incompatible with the remaining console. I even considered doing this to the rest of the console but never did.

If you don't like it, it's no big loss since you are planning on replacing it anyway. Of course, attempt this at your own risk! Note that if you console isn't black this doesn't help you.

I took the attached photos when I did this. You can see how the coating just flaked off in chunks. Notice the resulting surface sheen is pretty flat and even.
Did the same thing on the ashtray lid, and it worked perfectly. The light scratches on the center console are a different story. But I guess if you can remove the console, there is no reason why that couldn't be stripped as well?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:37 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FlaHeel
I'm pretty sure there is a DIY somewhere on this site that tells the paint codes and translates that into either Home Depot or Lowes paint codes so you can paint the ashtray save the $$.
I would suggest trying the stripping method I described earlier before trying anything like paint. I'll bet you like it that way, and if not, you'd have to strip it anyway to get the paint to stick well. Free is good especially when it looks nice.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
You can also check with your local highline dealers and nail down the guy who fixes leather/plastic on CPO cars - these guys when skilled and experienced enough know how to spray the soft touch to re-do these parts, and often can do it in under an hour.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Bokchoys is on a distinguished road
If you want to try fixing it yourself, you can do something like this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=753372

Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 PM
It is a shame that plasti dip only comes in black. Would be nice to have beige....thanks for the post.

j

Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks Sportrune, Mine is beige but the plastic is beige also, so it will not be a problem but first I will try to obtain matching paint from Lowe's or Home Depot. Thank you for the tip it looks easy enough for me to tackle.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:20 PM
gavc is on a distinguished road
How did you go?
Does the beige look ok stripped? I have the same problem on my center console and looking for ways to fix it.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:42 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Sorry to revive a dead thread but I had the same problem with my ashtray lid on my sand beige interior turbo. For any other 6speeders wondering, pulling it out and scraping off the peeling paint under running water works great! It has a very slight sheen (compared to the original) that only a very trained eye at a certain angle could notice but otherwise, blends in very well. $189 + shipping isn't worth it for just a peeling lid. Anyway, my 2 cents FWIW.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MK23
$189 + shipping isn't worth it for just a peeling lid. Anyway, my 2 cents FWIW.
No kidding and it's going to peel also eventually!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ashtray lid replacement