997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bose Speaker Finally Replaced

Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Bose Speaker Finally Replaced

Never liked the Bose system in the car.

But didn't want to spend thousands to upgrade the sound.. plus i didn't want to replace the PCM if possible.

Yeah, my PCM is outdated.. but i wanted to retain the original functions associated with it. I have the Dension Bluetooth and Ipod integrated, so i was getting decent sound. At least good enough in my cab with exhaust.

I have been following RyeM3's thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-install.html with some interest. It seems he found a way to improve the sound with a simple speaker swap. Who would have guessed that u don't need to add an amp/processor or a new headunit to make the system sound better ?

However, my speakers were working fine, so i didn't take immediate action.

Recently, a speaker (mid or mid-bass) on the driver side started showing signs of a blown speaker. (note- there are some who suggest this happens due to a broken clip in the door, which in affect produces blown-like sound in the cold weather.) That was all the excuse i needed.

I contacted several local installers.. I wanted to find someone who does great work on Porsche without charging Porsche premium.

..and Jay from Gold Star Audio (Irvine, CA) was the one i was impressed with. -- When he gives me a quote, he always breaks down the cost (parts & labor). a Plus in my book.

He gave me several options, including the most popular one he does at the shop - Focal PS200F3 in the front only with an amp and a digital processor to tie it all in.

After many emails and phone calls, i decided to keep it simpler (per Ryem3) and use the Focal speakers integration line.

the front: IS200 2-way component (1" tweeter and 8" mid bass)
ISC100 Coaxial (4" mid and 1" tweeter)

the rear: ISC100 Coaxial

the Center: as-is

Sub: as-is

Originally, i was planning on using higher-end (PS200F3) with amp and digital processor.. after-all why not go with higher-end, right ?
but decided against it because:

1- the amp/processor would have to be installed in the frunk.. and i use that space all the time.. and it would have been 2-3 times more expensive.

2- the higher-end has crossover that need to be powered.. while the ones i installed has built-in crossover.

3- more power and ground wires (speakers, amp and processor) may introduce engine whine/feedback

4- the PS200F3 comes with 6.75' mids (vs 8") so there is a chance that the lower end would be lacking. Ryem3 and i discussed that for while and he finally convinced me that the 8" is the way to go

Last Fri, dropped off the car in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. The install was clean and problem-free.

the sound ?

it sounds fantastic !

The clarity of the highs and lows were much improved.. and these speakers can get pretty loud !

Even the installer commented on how great they sound. The best they heard in Porsche, they said, without an after-market amp installed

I definitely recommend it to everyone.

BTW, if u r local in southern Cal, Gold Star Audio is the place to go. They are professional who has vast experience, clean shop and honest prices (Parts & labor, including the custom baffles) Just ask for Jay

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 02-04-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: changed the center speaker status
Old 01-27-2014, 02:51 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Big thx to Ryem3 for all his help !

Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM
TTvetdoc will become famous soon enoughTTvetdoc will become famous soon enough
That's great to hear. I personally just dropped off my '07 turbo for a 'RyeM3' install as well. I also went with the exact same focal line speakers as RyeM3.

Like you, I waffled between a high-end install - Going to an Alpine HU, Alpine amp, Hybrid audio speakers and replacing the subs in a custom sub enclosure. All-in-all I was looking at $4500-5000k out the door.

Decided to maintain the factory appearance and go with the Dension 500S BT and just do the speakers.

I should be picking up the car on Thursday (we are currently getting a snow storm in NC!) and can't wait. The BOSE speakers were incredibly fatiguing to my ears when played loud and the detail was lacking.

I also have to thank Conrad (RyeM3) a lot for the back and forth emails.

Russell

Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM
chaforjohn is on a distinguished road
Nice! I saw that you PM'd me (I meant to get back to you), but glad to see that it worked out wonderfully. Yes, I have gone to Jay for years, and get all my equipment from him (I do my own installs, kind of a nut), but he does some of the best work in the area @ a reasonable price. Those Focal integration series are the best bang for the buck, and you get Polyglass components for 1/2 the price.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by chaforjohn
Nice! I saw that you PM'd me (I meant to get back to you), but glad to see that it worked out wonderfully. Yes, I have gone to Jay for years, and get all my equipment from him (I do my own installs, kind of a nut), but he does some of the best work in the area @ a reasonable price. Those Focal integration series are the best bang for the buck, and you get Polyglass components for 1/2 the price.
yeah, Jay is great !

and the speaker sound is great !

the price with labor was more than reasonable.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by TTvetdoc

I should be picking up the car on Thursday (we are currently getting a snow storm in NC!) and can't wait. The BOSE speakers were incredibly fatiguing to my ears when played loud and the detail was lacking.
great !

let me know how u like it

'RyeM3' install... that's funny, but true

Old 01-29-2014, 03:02 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
RyeM3 will be a byword like the gundo hack

Old 01-29-2014, 03:42 PM
rick, did u finish ur install ?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM
i am getting PMs asking for cost involved, so here it is. YMMV

here's the breakdown:

is200 was $269
isc100 was $129 per set (x2)
custom baffles $50
install labor $149

+tax (but u may get cash discount)

the shop is clean... and they had a custom hummer and Lamborghini lp600 spyder in the shop also so they handle high-end cars as well

i was not there during the actual install, but everything turned out great with no hiccups.

i should have done it sooner, but its hard to find a place that doesn't charge Porsche premium.

just ask for jay - he is a good guy 949) 752-6501

Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 PM
I just got mine installed - exactly the same as RyeM3. My install ran 3.5 hours of labor for a total of $298. This included custom fabricated mounting brackets for the rear speakers.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Nope have all the speakers lying in my storage area and really have not done it. Got bored after the slight damage to my dash opening the center speaker. But with post like yours im sure getting the energy to do this again.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
This is awesome guys! You've found labor dirt cheap - heck if it were not for the fun of a project, my time is worth way more than you guys spent having a pro do the job. And you guys had nice installs as well. I'll see how it goes, but I've purchased another set of drivers for the Bose sub. (I've tried two sets already, one was too cheap and the other didn't fit). Hopefully three's a charm and these will drop in fine. I'll be curious if I can get real improvement from the sub. Thanks for all the complements and glad it worked for everyone.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:58 PM
chiroporsche will become famous soon enough
Getting rid of the Bose is a great choice. I'm much happier with the sound since I got rid of mine.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:53 PM
I've had my system in for 2 days now (same as RyeM3's). When I first listen after picking the car up I would say it was a good upgrade over the BOSE, knowing/hoping that further speaker break-in would improve sound.

Although I've only had about 2 hours of listening time on the speakers so far, they are already improving quite substantially in sound quality from when I first picked up the car. Better dynamic range, more detailed/natural high's and tighter bass. I would say the car now sounds excellent.

I've very happy with the change and would certainly recommend it do others.

I'd certainly be interested in swapping the BOSE subs if RyeM3 finds a suitable replacement that improves the bass tightness.

Russell

Old 02-03-2014, 12:47 PM
What setting are u using TTvetdoc ?

i listen to Dension/ipod mostly and have the treble at 0 and bass at +4

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bose Speaker Finally Replaced