997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Depress clutch message and intermittent starting issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Rporsche is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Depress clutch message and intermittent starting issues

Hi!
I have 911 Carrera 4 2009, different posts on the web discuss that if you have intermittent starting problems and a 'Depress Clutch to start' message on your dash, you may need to replace the clutch switch.

I am finding out that there could be more than one switch - which is the one that affects the manual start? I am hoping some in the forum can help!
Thanks in advance!
RCharles

Old 03-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Scrambler8 is on a distinguished road
I am glad you posted this issue. I don't know if I have the same problem. I have had my 2006 C4S for a couple of weeks and due to weather I have not had much opportunity to drive it. However, there were two instances where I depressed the clutch (fully I thought), turned the key and the car would not start. Maybe it's me and I did depress the clutch enough, but I am curious if more people are having this problem.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
There is a TSB for that and your dealer should replace it.
If he gives you a hard time PM me and I can send you a scan of the workorder/sheet

Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Scrambler8 is on a distinguished road
tiyyara - Thanks for the reply. I called my dealer and talked with the service department. They acknowledged that there is a switch at the clutch that may fail and result in a non-start. They will replace it at no charge under my CPO warranty.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
what years are we talking about for that TSB? I ve had my 09 at the dealer several times for various things and they never mentioned it.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
our '08c4 does that intermittantly. I thought it was just me screwing up.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 PM
It is s service campaign TI-10-12. This is what I found whilst searching on the phone.
I will send in the "real" info once I get home.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
I had my clutch depress switch changed twice - once when I first took delivery of the car, another time about a year ago. It's not an uncommon issue.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:08 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
so is there something that can be done not to be stranded if this happens..???

Old 03-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Here it is, reading.typing from work order/invoice

Replacing Clutch pedal switch
WC09 Replacing Clutch Pedal Switch
1 000-043-207-86 switch
22766 performed campaign WC09. Replacing clutch pedal switch 10TU

I hope this helps all of you who need it!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cerbomark
so is there something that can be done not to be stranded if this happens..???
You can get into the footwell and feel around for the actual switch and press it by hand. It's really awkward, though. That's how I got my car to start when the switch was failing the first time. If manually pressing it all the way in didn't work, I think I read that someone shorted the terminals of the switch with a wire, bypassing it.

Just make sure you're in neutral when you do either of these workarounds. If you are in gear and you bypass the switch and turn the key, the car will jump forward. (That's why these switches are in all cars with clutch pedals. I just don't know why the Pcar switch is prone to be faulty..)

Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Scoper
You can get into the footwell and feel around for the actual switch and press it by hand. It's really awkward, though. That's how I got my car to start when the switch was failing the first time. If manually pressing it all the way in didn't work, I think I read that someone shorted the terminals of the switch with a wire, bypassing it.

Just make sure you're in neutral when you do either of these workarounds. If you are in gear and you bypass the switch and turn the key, the car will jump forward. (That's why these switches are in all cars with clutch pedals. I just don't know why the Pcar switch is prone to be faulty..)
thanks, good to know. All 6 speeders should know this.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
I think Durametric Pro can turn this message off. I know my MT coupe does not display any "press clutch" messages on startup. Haven't tried to start it without pressing it in though....

Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Volnomad is on a distinguished road
It is my understanding that the car will start despite a faulty clutch switch if you hold the key in the start position for 30 seconds. It worked on my wife's 2008 Boxster S.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by Volnomad
It is my understanding that the car will start despite a faulty clutch switch if you hold the key in the start position for 30 seconds. It worked on my wife's 2008 Boxster S.
another good thing to remember to maybe avoid a tow.