997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New Member (Kinda) - Need Advice on Exterior Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:54 PM
speedyizzy will become famous soon enoughspeedyizzy will become famous soon enough
New Member (Kinda) - Need Advice on Exterior Mods

I joined in late 2012, at the time I was looking at buying a 997. In April, 2013 I picked up a 2006 Polar Silver 997 with 42K miles, already had the VF Supercharger Kit, 19" Avant Wheels, Tint, 3M bra, 997.2 GT3 front and 997.1 rear spoiler. Only addition (in retrospect tacky) has been the carbon fiber wrap on the roof and wing blade.

The car was recently hit while parked, very minor. I would like to make some aesthetic upgrades. I was thinking about going with the GT3 Tek poly rear bumper and sideskirts, and LED light conversion on rear. I was going to scrap the carbon wrap and paint the roof and wing blade in matte metallic grey. Would like to do a black powder coating on the wheels and install the side checkered flag decals. Any thoughts? Has anyone used the GT3 products? What is fitment like? Any recommendations on the LED tail lights? Will I have error codes and malfunction issues in the future?

This a little out there and am sure will insult some Porsche purist, but any info out there on a 991 rear conversion? I see Wicked sells a kit for 8K, but that seems way too pricey.

Thanks,

Israel

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	958.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	371495   Click image for larger version

Name:	252.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	371497   Click image for larger version

Name:	232.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	371499  
Old 05-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
Since you need a new rear, I would opt for a GT3 rear bumper either 7.1 or 7.2 depending on whether or not you'll change the lid.

I think rear LED's are a must - makes the car look a decade younger.

I wouldn't get a 991 rear. Even though it does look better imo, it just wouldn't look great on a 997

Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Old 05-07-2014, 07:46 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
i have the gt3tek rear bumper and its a nice piece. personally i wouldnt get the side skirts or the checker decal. if i were you, i would do a 997.2 gt3 rear bumper,997.2 tail lights, and a center exit exhaust. i would also swap out that wing for a 997.2 gt3 or 997.1 gt3rs wing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AqWoW.jpg
Views:	1288
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	371692  

Last edited by killacam; 05-07-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 AM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
On the subject of rear tail lights I was undecided too but am now thinking of getting them just afraid of giving my car an aftermarket rice look. Any suggestions on which led tail lights? I assume if doing rear LEDs will need to do front fog light LEDs?

I saw a set of taillight LEDs on eBay (Depo brand?) but only half of the taillight light up when braking, do the oem 997.2 taillights act the same way?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by no1joey
On the subject of rear tail lights I was undecided too but am now thinking of getting them just afraid of giving my car an aftermarket rice look. Any suggestions on which led tail lights? I assume if doing rear LEDs will need to do front fog light LEDs?

I saw a set of taillight LEDs on eBay (Depo brand?) but only half of the taillight light up when braking, do the oem 997.2 taillights act the same way?
most of your recent questions have been answered already. the search button is your friend.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 AM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Originally Posted by killacam
most of your recent questions have been answered already. the search button is your friend.
I'm only interested in current information a lot of old threads stuff about dectane LEDs going out busted broken etc not going to dig them all up let's get some fresh options let's start a fabreeze thread cause it's feeling so fresh right now

Btw r urs dectane? I think they look the most oem. Heard some ppl have issues with them tho. Don't like the look of rottec plus they're front drl LEDs r too blue

Last edited by no1joey; 05-07-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM
speedyizzy will become famous soon enoughspeedyizzy will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the feedback guys,

Killacam, have any fitment issues with the GT3Tek bumper? Looks good with the lights. Where can I get those tips?

Thanks,

Israel

Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
Thanks for that, I like the dectane/fvd the most. I assume dectane/fvd come with resistors..

Are ppl still having issues with dectane? what about fvd? how many years have u guys been running them? Sorry to hijak ur thread op but Im sure this will help u decide when buying leds

Old 05-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Sure does help. I was thinking about cheaping out on the $400 ebay units, but if I am going to have issues with the, I rather spend the $700 on Depot or $1000 on Dectane, saves time and money long run.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by speedyizzy
Sure does help. I was thinking about cheaping out on the $400 ebay units, but if I am going to have issues with the, I rather spend the $700 on Depot or $1000 on Dectane, saves time and money long run.
I was looking at the FVD rear + front led package - 1115 euros, thats a website price Im sure a site sponser could do a better deal though...

Old 05-07-2014, 06:00 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Clear side markers should be high on your list also

Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Kustom64 is on a distinguished road
I have the small rear spoiler from gt3 tek and it fit perfectly. my dad also has the front lip from them on his Boxster and it also fit perfect. I can't vouch for their rear bumper but I was very happy with both those products from them

Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Good call on the clear sides! Seems for certain I am going with the GT3 Tek rear bumper, and clear side lights. Up in the air about he side skirts and lights. Anyone seen any pics of a GT3 (or similar) with the side skirts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Member (Kinda) - Need Advice on Exterior Mods