997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Am I crazy? Pls talk me out of it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Bad trade. Pass on a c2 cab, they also don't hold their values like the coupes. Without the 993 being a S,c4s or the turbo they are not all that desirable. Not to mention even in c4s trim a WRX is going to dust you. Sell one of the cars you have and clear your head. Once you are sober again look for the car you want.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Sell both cars and get your finances in order. Beleive it or not there will other cars available when you are finically equipped to own cars of this nature. How do you sleep at night with two payments. Do you eat, have a roof over your head. If you are living with your parents your parents should kick your as-. In fact they should do that regardless. You sound like your < 25 years old. Typical want it all now generation.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:35 AM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
IMO a bad trade.You won't like going back in time with the ride,handling and the loss of power. Keep your 997.2 C4S it's a beautiful ride!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:53 AM
9114Scab is infamous around these parts
I think that is a crappy trade, that's why the dealer wants to make it with you. The 2010 is a superior car.

Walk away, get your finances in order first.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:09 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
You're dreaming of you think you're going to roll over the $65k loan into that 993. They're going to laugh in your face.

Last edited by ryem3; 06-05-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:11 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
the dealer does this cause he is a ...used car dealer...if he wants to do it, he will be making money...yours...win win for him, not so much for you...

Old 06-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
I agree with most posters here, I love the look of the 993 but I think your 997.2 is a much superior car and better as DD. As far as finances, you know your situation better than anyone of us. I think you better with a low maintenance car like Honda or Toyota, sell both of your Porsche and get back to the game when you are able to afford it again.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 PM
JP911C4S is infamous around these parts
Am I crazy? Pls talk me out of it

Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
I agree with most posters here, I love the look of the 993 but I think your 997.2 is a much superior car and better as DD. As far as finances, you know your situation better than anyone of us. I think you better with a low maintenance car like Honda or Toyota, sell both of your Porsche and get back to the game when you are able to afford it again.
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. I agree that was a crazy thought, but I am NOT. It was a warm sunny day for change here in NJ and I had a brief lapse of judgement.

I read somewhere that "you should buy the latest 911 that you could afford". So, I did. I just have to find a way to Enjoy it a bit longer...

Another crazy thought, sell both and get Macan? -

No worries, I'll manage my finances in order first.

Again, Thank you - it was educational reading.

Happy 997 (best of 993+996)

Old 06-06-2014, 02:21 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
I miss my 993 terribly and would trade in a moment. Fewer electronics to deal with and it is air-cooled, sounds like nothing else.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:40 AM
steve-o is infamous around these parts
I could have picked up a perfect 95 black/black cab for $35k a few months ago. This price seems excessive. And your bank will never allow it.

If it were me, I would sell the 911 for now and come back when the time is right.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
I agree with all the posters who say this is insane.
There's one thing nobody mentioned and I just want to bring it up for complement. If the 993 doesn't have the secondary air injection fixed already, you're looking at a $8k maintenance item in the near future.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 AM
CM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud of
Glad to hear you've come to the smart choice. I was just thinking about this thread over coffee this morning, and wondered what you had decided. To me, it would be crazy especially if you're already up to your chin financially.

I agree with the first half of what CALGUY said - the 2nd half was a little heavy handed, but it is an open forum, so now and again folks can get a little slap happy with the name calling and accusations. I personally didn't get that you were a 25 year old, or that you lived with your parents from your post, but the logic of your thought process does seem a little youthful.

If it were me and money suddenly got tight, and I was carrying 2 car notes and I was 60k in the hole on just one of them, I'd be looking to dump both and find one car that makes sense for my climate (probably in the 25 or 30k range) until I had my cash reserves back up to a place where a wobble in the economy wouldn't cause a car note break me.

If I understand your position correctly, the only straight trades I'd be considering would be ones where I end up with a car I like, and can actually use year round, and have no monthly payments on my side.

Yes, the 997 will continue to depreciate, but you've already eaten a pretty big dose of the loss. If you love the car, just figure out a way to keep what you've got, ditch the cayenne and get that money flowing back in.

Good luck, and hopefully the work situation gets turned around quickly.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:44 PM
deaddana is infamous around these parts
i love cabs, but agree with most of the other posters here, that as they age, cabs lose their value faster and become less and less desirable as the tops age and deteriorate. i love 993's but no where near a 997 , other than vintage collector value.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM
JP911C4S is infamous around these parts
Am I crazy? Pls talk me out of it.

Originally Posted by CM_699
Glad to hear you've come to the smart choice. I was just thinking about this thread over coffee this morning, and wondered what you had decided. To me, it would be crazy especially if you're already up to your chin financially.

I agree with the first half of what CALGUY said - the 2nd half was a little heavy handed, but it is an open forum, so now and again folks can get a little slap happy with the name calling and accusations. I personally didn't get that you were a 25 year old, or that you lived with your parents from your post, but the logic of your thought process does seem a little youthful.

If it were me and money suddenly got tight, and I was carrying 2 car notes and I was 60k in the hole on just one of them, I'd be looking to dump both and find one car that makes sense for my climate (probably in the 25 or 30k range) until I had my cash reserves back up to a place where a wobble in the economy wouldn't cause a car note break me.

If I understand your position correctly, the only straight trades I'd be considering would be ones where I end up with a car I like, and can actually use year round, and have no monthly payments on my side.

Yes, the 997 will continue to depreciate, but you've already eaten a pretty big dose of the loss. If you love the car, just figure out a way to keep what you've got, ditch the cayenne and get that money flowing back in.

Good luck, and hopefully the work situation gets turned around quickly.
Thanks, CM_699.

I appreciate your kind encouragement. I am young at heart (especially on German cars), but definitely not so young. I picked year 1996 of 993 b/c that's when my son was born. If I was still in SF Bay Area, I would not had to buy Cayenne...

Although I left SF 15 years ago, I am still diehard 49ers and Giants Fan here in East Coast [I had to throw that in, but NY rangers hockey]. Two passion I have; carts and sports.

I am keeping my 997.2 and exchange Cayenne for a Jeep or something for Winter.

My latest thinking....

Old 06-07-2014, 05:11 PM
kchociej is infamous around these partskchociej is infamous around these parts
I would do it all day.

With 993s going up in value, and your 997 depreciating...it's a no brainer. The 993 & other classic Porsche market is going crazy right now. (This is assuming that the 993 is in excellent condition)

When your 997 starts dipping below $70k you will wish that you had done it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Pls talk me out of it