997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 chassis rebuild and result

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:03 AM
997GTSsweden has a spectacular aura about997GTSsweden has a spectacular aura about
You are absolutely correct, you need 997 333 523 00 and 997 333 513 01 that is the lower seats for the rear, 2 of each. Pos 13 and 14 in PET

The height of my car is to the wheelarch. Hard to measure to top of genders then they are not straight. Remember that my car is a RoW PASM from start so it probably lower than yours already "before".

Before
Front: 68 cm or 26 49/64 inch
Rear: 69,5 cm or 27 23/64 inch

After
Front: 66,5 cm or 26 3/16 inch
Rear: 67,5 cm or 26 37/64 inch

Old 03-15-2015, 08:41 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 997GTSsweden
You are absolutely correct, you need 997 333 523 00 and 997 333 513 01 that is the lower seats for the rear, 2 of each. Pos 13 and 14 in PET

The height of my car is to the wheelarch. Hard to measure to top of genders then they are not straight. Remember that my car is a RoW PASM from start so it probably lower than yours already "before".

Before

After
Thank you for taking the time to measure. This is very helpful information to me and I'm sure many others also.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:57 AM
rickdogg82 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by EMC2
Thank you for taking the time to measure. This is very helpful information to me and I'm sure many others also.
Yes thanks a lot!

Old 03-16-2015, 10:20 AM
MMK110464 is on a distinguished road
Outstanding post!
Thank you.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 AM
997GTSsweden has a spectacular aura about997GTSsweden has a spectacular aura about
New season

Hi again,

Winter passed and if you are interested I would like to tell you about what happend during winter with the GTS and what developments that have been made. As I wrote in the end of last years season I will do some changes to tyres and brakes mainly.

So the first question was what type of tyres? As many people say R compund tyres is the easiest way to tune a car so I decided for thet, especially now when I do have the adjustable camber plates that makes it possible to tune in a camber that suits R compound tyres. So when decided to gor for R compund the question is what brand and type. As the 991 GT3 is delivered with Michelin Cup 2 or Dunlop Sport Maxx Race as standard I thought that this could be great alternatives then they are "Porsche approved".

Most 991 GT3's are delivered with the Michelins and they do have a treadwear of 180 and the Dunlops have 80 in treadwear. Treadwear is a "indicator" of how "sticky" a tyre is (the lower the stickier) and on the other hand the higher treadwear is the higher mileage you get out of the tyres. So it is a compromise and sticky tyres gives you lower mileage.This is however no guarantee then it is up to the driver, air pressure, type of driving etc but as I said it is an indicator. I decided to go for the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race that theoretically is a stickier tyre but I belive both of them are top selections.

After mounting the tyres I adjusted the front camber a little bit as well then a normal tyre can take up to some minus 2,5 degrees a R compound could take some minus 3 degrees without problem. I decided to go from minus 1.5 to minus 1.8 degrees to keep the car driveable every day in any condition but still have a camber suiting the new tyres. A 997 GT3 have minus 1.5 as standard so I have increased that value a bit. Last year when I put on the GT3 swaybars and adjustable droplinks my intention was to drive it for some time and then maybe adjust the sways a bit. I put the rear sway in centre position last year (out of three) and the fron one 2nd from full stiff (out of four) to avoid any unwanted oversteer or snapsteer. Now I decide to loosen up the front sway one position to 3rd from full stiff then I had a little bit to much understeer last year and this was only 10 min work when I do have the adjustable droplinks. So when you loose it up in front you get more oversteer.

So with new R compound tyres, increased negative camber and a new swaybar position I felt ready with this part. The cost for this was almost zer than I anyhow had to purchase new tyres but with a premium R compound like this I had to add some money of course compared to standard tyres.

Next item is to stop the vehicle. As I discovered last year the standard pad etc gets a little bit soft, there is a problem to portion the brake power and the feeling is not that exact.
Also with the R compound tyres the speed will probably increase so better braking performance would be nice.There are two items that easily could be upgraded, the pads and the hoses.
One hose in each corner that standard is a rubber one. When you push the pedal it expands a little bit of course and that could be a cause that you couldn't portion the power exactly. The only way to go is with steel braided brake hoses and a kit for the 997 costs some USD 120. Can't belive that every car comes with this as standard. I went't for a brand named Goodridge that is a supplier for Formula 1 as wll as Nascar. The have a steel braided brake hose kit in their "black series" that includes a steel braided hose and stainless fittings with a "cover" on the hose so you do not see that it is steel braided. The cover comes in many colours but I selected black so it looks original.Excellent finnishing and fitting.

The second thing are the pads. My pads were worned out so i had to change anyhow. I wanted a racing pad to see what they can provide. It is a huge market but I went for Pagid RS29 that is an endurance pad that could be a little bit squeaky on the track when it is hot but I found it silent in daily driving when it never comes up to race temperature. The brake update is probably the best thing I ever did. There is so much talk about horsepower, topspeed etc etc but after driving this package I can say that it is in the braking zones you gain massive time. I could brak 75 meters later, brake harder, more controlled and I'm the person in charge. I'm in control of the braking process and in a way that is hard to describe in words. Fingertip feeling maybe?? Massive improvement!

So all together i invested in new brake hoses then the tyres and the brake pads were worn out anyhow.The rest was adjustments that was possible to do thanks to last years improvements.

Result 6 (SIX) second improvement on 1.9 mile track and I belive that it comes with the package but main improvement are the tyres and the tyres provides huge grip under braking and with the pads and hoses and can brake more controlled. Also the cornering speed increased due to the tyre, the increased negative camber and change in front swaybar settings. The turn in and exit are perfect but mid corner is excellent and I have always struggled there. Now it goes where I would like it to.

I have done 4 track events and 1 slalom event and is very satisfied.

So thats all. To be mentined is that I have ordered a Dynamic Suspension Control from TPC racing to replace the standard PASM Control unit. Will get it on friday......

Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
Another great and informative post. Thanks for sharing.

6 second improvement is huge. The changes definitely paid off.

FYI on a different topic - I went back and compared my measurements after the TechArt spring install. Interestingly the measurements ended up almost identical to yours (only 1mm difference in the rear which could easily be measurement error). It seems that the M030 and TechArt springs result in a very similar drop.

Again thanks to your input I also went with the TPC and GT3 Sways and adjustable drop links. I didn't go as far as you did on the suspension modifications and I already felt a massive gain in handling, so I can only imagine how good your setup must feel.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:25 AM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute

Before

After
EMC2 and 997GTSsweden,
I am upgrading to the Eibach/Techart springs but keeping the stock PASM dampers. Will I need any new strut assembly parts in the rear like the lower spring seats if changing to the Eibach/Techart springs? If so, are there other parts I will need to change in the strut assembly?

Many other threads and articles I've read said I would not need any new strut assembly parts with the Eibach springs and I would like to be thorough before I attempt the procedure.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by nwGTS
EMC2 and 997GTSsweden,
I am upgrading to the Eibach/Techart springs but keeping the stock PASM dampers. Will I need any new strut assembly parts in the rear like the lower spring seats if changing to the Eibach/Techart springs? If so, are there other parts I will need to change in the strut assembly?

Many other threads and articles I've read said I would not need any new strut assembly parts with the Eibach springs and I would like to be thorough before I attempt the procedure.
nwGTS

Looking at the chart on pg 32 of the TechArt catalogue concerns me. They don't show spring compatibility for the GTS...

that is assuming you are looking at these parts:

Sport spring kit 097.200.100.009 fits OE dampers 097.200.200.009

http://www.techart.de/fileadmin/cont...9911198116.pdf

Old 05-06-2015, 12:21 PM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by EMC2
nwGTS

Looking at the chart on pg 32 of the TechArt catalogue concerns me. They don't show spring compatibility for the GTS...

that is assuming you are looking at these parts:

Sport spring kit 097.200.100.009 fits OE dampers 097.200.200.009

http://www.techart.de/fileadmin/cont...9911198116.pdf
Yea that is not uncommon since the GTS is more or less a well optioned 'S'. There are some differences in the sway bars but everything I've read says the PASM dampers at all four corners are exactly the same as the S PASM dampers/springs.

I know you didn't have PASM from you other articles so this may not have been a concern for you.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by nwGTS
Yea that is not uncommon since the GTS is more or less a well optioned 'S'. There are some differences in the sway bars but everything I've read says the PASM dampers at all four corners are exactly the same as the S PASM dampers/springs.

I know you didn't have PASM from you other articles so this may not have been a concern for you.
Not really sure if it will help of simply confuse the matter , but some interesting points to consider:

Looking at the Bilstein replacement part options:

The GTS damper part numbers for both 2WD and AWD are completely different from the Carrera S versions (with or without Sports option). The question is whether this is just due to damping specs or something else.

Looking at the product images it looks like the front shocks on the GTS are sold separately from the shock mount and lower spring support plate.

Also looking at the PET, the support plate angle and offset on the 2WD looks quite different from the AWD.

Part number comparison

EDIT These part numbers are Bilstein Parts for comparison:
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=RWD

GTS RWD Bilstein B6 Shocks (incl PASM)
22-147530 Front
26-147543 Rear

GTS AWD Bilstein B6 Shocks (incl PASM)
22-147561 Front
26-147543 Rear

Carrera S - without sports suspension (incl PASM)
23-219960 Front
26-219974 Rear

Carrera S - with sports suspension. (incl PASM)
23-219984 Front
26-219998 Rear

Last edited by EMC2; 05-07-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:57 AM
y2kgixxer will become famous soon enough
Thanks for showing interest

I used following springs that is M030 in Europe for C2 MY 2009-2012 ;

99734353149504 front silver/silver marking
99733353188504 rear silver/silver/yellow marking (should be 99733353173504 but replaced in PET by 88)
Would these work on a 997.1 (2007 Carrera s)

thanks

Old 01-09-2017, 02:22 AM
Hi,
Yes it will work. No difference on the 997.1 and 997.2 on the chassis. All parts are interchangeable between the models

Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
OP, excellent post. As I was reading through, I was going to mention TPC's DSC controller but see you already have it. In addition, aside from the Bilstein's being the only PASM compatible aftermarket option, TPC now offers their Tractive DDA line of suspension components which also are PASM / DSC compatible. I have the b16 Damptronics on mine because they were the only ones compatible with the Cargraphic AirLift kit I also have installed.

I didn't notice whether or not you replaced your LCAs, but if not, that is probably also something you should look at as there are rubber bushings in those too - maybe you went with the GT3 versions.

One more note - regarding tire treadwear ratings. The numerical values are not based on an industry-wide standard so a 180 rating on a Michelin is not necessarily the same as a 180 rating on a Pirelli. Numbers within a manufacturer are comparable that way so a Michelin 180 will have less wear than a Michelin 200, but a Pirelli 220 could actually have less treadwear than both of them (as an example - not saying this is the case).

Anyway, 6 seconds a lap is a remarkable improvement - congrats and thanks for sharing your research and results.

Here are pics of what I installed in my car as part of my upgrade. Monoball top mounts are Tarett's, everything else aside from the Bilstein's is RSS including the rubber protection boots on all the metal ends. Have the DSC box as well. The car is corner balanced and running GT3 alignment settings.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Hi,
Nice upgrade. See that you have the Bilsteins coilovers with ride height adjustements. Nice.

Since last post I also changed the springs and dampers. I thought about the DDA but they were mostly expensive. For the C2 Bilstein only have option and that is the "standard" B16 with PN 49-115604. For the C4 they also have a "clubsport" option then it is developed for the Turbo initially but no "clubsport" for the C2.

Then I talked to some people about this and they said that it is possible to mount the Bilstein B16 for the GT3/GT2 with PN 49-145489 . I asked about the installation dilemma then the rear is the same but that the normal C2 and GT cars have different uprights in the front.
I realized that it is only a matter of diameter of the front upright then the normal C2 cars have a shock that is 3 mm bigger in diameter. Then I got me some "adaptor sleeves" and mounted the GT2/GT3 B16 kit with PASM compability. Remember that this kit cost 1/3 of the Tractive DDA and it is a tuning Product for the GT3/GT2. The car is fantastic.

Suddenly I ended up with new problems that I did not anticipate. The speed is considerably higher so I ended up with "boiling" brake fluid then the brake cooling is not as good on the C2 as on the GT3 but my speed is similar. I had to change to Endless RF-650 "cup" brake fluid.

Also have a problem with gearbox temperature, the Mobil 1 oil gets to hot and I'm loosing gears. The GT3 have gearbox oilcooler (introduced on 996.2 GT3 because of this problem) and I don't. Mobil and Porsche only recommends this one oil they have and that is a 75w-90. I can't run with this any more so I will change to a Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75w-140 for this season I Believe.

Attached you will find an image of the sleeves to put the GT3 B16 on a C2.

I agree with you about the treadwear and I have not done anything with my LCA's. I'm still working on my alignements so I run a camber of -2,6 front (I get that with the Elephant racing adjustaable camber plates) and with a slight toe out! (0,08 total) The B16 together with the DSC unit requires some toe out to avoid understeer then the front suspension do not compress that much under braking and turn in. At the rear i run -2 degrees camber and some 0,10 toe in in total. I will work on my rear alignements this season initially the I'm not fully satisfied. The rear feels a little bit loose so i will start with some 0,3 or more toe in initially.

What alignement do you have?

Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2018, 04:03 AM
terrytwn is on a distinguished road
Great Thread!

I was just doing some research and came across this thread and I have to say, it is very well written and very informative! Thank you 997GTSsweeden and everyone else!

I have a 997.2 C2 and am looking to update my suspension. Was originally on the standard setup but installed a TechArt spring set several years ago. Was fine at first but then last year I installed a GT3Tek front lip and now my car is too low. So now I am looking to update my stock suspension to something that will rise the car up just a bit and still drive well. Thought about going the stock method instead of aftermarket since I don't have much chance to track the car - just mountain roads and daily commute.

This post really helped! Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 chassis rebuild and result