997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Gen 2 Carrera S: Ripoff? Keep searching?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:22 AM
ChiGuy1215 is on a distinguished road
Question 997 Gen 2 Carrera S: Ripoff? Keep searching?

I'm new to buying possibly a 911 C2S or a 987S. Yes, 2 different cars, but it seems like the Carrera S prices are quite inflated.

Is this a ripoff for 77K? Or keep searching?

2011 Carrera S (would never get a base)
14K miles
PDK
Sport Chrono (don't care for it personally)
PASM
PSM
Bose
Navi
Vent seats

Do I need to look at 2010 or 2009s to hit sub-65K? To be honest, the driving fun at regular highway speeds or corners is not much different than a Cayman S.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:18 PM
BrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChiGuy1215

Do I need to look at 2010 or 2009s to hit sub-65K?
Yes.

For 911's in general:
Speaking as a former owner, the Cayman S is a fantastic car. It was quicker, because of the exceptional mid-engine balance, than my current car on tight, technical mtn roads (such as the Dragon). If those were the only roads I traveled, I would still own the Cayman S. If, however, you have always admired and wanted a 911, you will eventually succumb to temptation and trade up. I don't regret the experience of owning a Cayman S at all but, financially It would have been smarter to get the 911 from the start.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Acceptable Price Goals?

Thanks.

So for a 2011 Carrera S under 25K miles with PDK, upgraded sound, heated seats, maybe vent seats, and not much else, what should I look for about in the asking price?

I hate paying for options that I would never use. I don't even use most of them in my daily driver 328xi. Audio (besides engine noise), A/C, and maybe vent seats are all that really matters in the summers here.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:04 PM
BrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud of
Prices on Carreras are all over the place. Take some time to learn the market and be willing to travel and/or ship the car. In general a good 2009 carrera S will run higher 50's to lower 60's add a couple thousand per year newer after that. Rare options, color combos and CPO demand a price premium. If your reach extends into the mid 70's you should be looking to buy a GTS.

Last edited by BrakingBad; 06-28-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
Thanks.

So for a 2011 Carrera S under 25K miles with PDK, upgraded sound, heated seats, maybe vent seats, and not much else, what should I look for about in the asking price?

I hate paying for options that I would never use. I don't even use most of them in my daily driver 328xi. Audio (besides engine noise), A/C, and maybe vent seats are all that really matters in the summers here.
For a PDK equipped 911, you need the sport chrono plus! It's a must!!!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
but it seems like the Carrera S prices are quite inflated.
C2S prices are inflated relative to a boxster? That's a weird statement...

Old 06-29-2014, 05:55 AM
Merv will become famous soon enoughMerv will become famous soon enough
I have had both and the Cayman was the sweetest handling car I have ever owned. The extra grunt/torque of the 911 is the game changer for me and also it just feels so damn solid.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 PM
BLKPPR is on a distinguished road
Repost

Last edited by BLKPPR; 06-29-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 PM
BLKPPR is on a distinguished road
So you don't own a 911 but think slamming non s owners is ok (would never get a base).
I personally don't think they should make 911s in automatic but I don't slam auto owners as that is their choice. I don't like the way cabs look at all but keep that to myself cause owners of cabs LOVE their cars and the concept of an all wheel drive 911 baffles me but I get why someone may need that or they just prefer the WB look. We all drive different cars for different reasons.
Maybe when coming In here asking for advice you should try to not criticize or alienate actual owners of cars.
Back to your question. Almost anyone that has driven a cayman including all car magazines will tell you that it is a more neutral, better handling car than any generation 911. I personally like the harder to drive at the limit 997 than the cayman. I like the way the 997 looks better than the cayman.
That being said I grew up with a 911 poster on my wall. It's never been any other car.
Good luck on your search but next time try to be more sensitive to other owners.

Last edited by BLKPPR; 06-30-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 PM
150shot is on a distinguished road
Anyone can really say 911 prices are inflated, its all up to you. I love them and will always have one for my own reasons..I cant justify how a 991 new model costs up to $130k + but doesnt mean I think its overinflated that just what it is...

For that much I want a bit more rarity but again thats me..take to heart what you pay for and what car you really want.. and how far YOU are willing to go in your own mind.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:15 AM
Merv will become famous soon enoughMerv will become famous soon enough
For comparison the new 991 costs $230K here in Australia.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Relax please

Originally Posted by BLKPPR
So you don't own a 911 but think slamming non s owners is ok (would never get a base).
I personally don't think they should make 911s in automatic but I don't slam auto owners as that is their choice. I don't like the way cabs look at all but keep that to myself cause owners of cabs LOVE their cars and the concept of an all wheel drive 911 baffles me but I get why someone may need that or they just prefer the WB look. We all drive different cars for different reasons.
Maybe when coming In here asking for advice you should try to not criticize or alienate actual owners of cars.
Back to your question. Almost anyone that has driven a cayman including all car magazines will tell you that it is a more neutral, better handling car than any generation 911. I personally like the harder to drive at the limit 997 than the cayman. I like the way the 997 looks better than the cayman.
That being said I grew up with a 911 poster on my wall. It's never been any other car.
Good luck on your search but next time try to be more sensitive to other owners.
So I don't own one of course but have driven other folk's vehicles, which is how I conclude that I prefer the Cayman S over the Carrera Base but not the C2S when throwing in the money factor of 10-15k difference.

My questions are in regards to price inflation of the C2S as itself on the market. I'm not comparing a Cayman S to a C2S. I have concluded that I like the drive of either a Cayman S or Carrera S while the base models don't really have the oomph.

I'm not a loyalist to any brand or hold my self image and esteem behind a badge. To extrapolate based on "would never get a base model" is your own issue. I just want to know what is a reasonable asking price or some dealers are just gouging.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
care to explain what you mean by price inflation relative to itself? A $120K that you can have for $70K with a few miles on it is inflated? so you think your 2011 C2s should be sub 65K and that would be a fair price? fair relative to what? prices of BMW's and Mercedes?

Last edited by Buddhamonk; 06-30-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 PM
CPO versus private seller

So if a C2S was compared to a well maintained private seller vehicle, is a price near 80K justified? Or is the dealer gouging and I should hold off? I'm not in a rush. If the car the was 65K, I wouldn't even have asked and already bought it.

All luxury cars seem better when you compare them to the build price. The depreciation tax is huge. My daily driver which gets 24K miles per year was 1/2 the original sticker. But I don't expect that kind of deal on a Porsche due to volume of production being quite different plus other factors.

And the car that I asked about is not 70K, it's nearly 80K. 70K would have worked too. 10K is a lot over 4-5 years. That changes monthly payments quite a bit. If the '11 C2S price is considered reasonable by many, then I'll just wait for 09-10s with some more miles on it. Speaking with a few 911S owners, they stated I should be looking for a better deal. Thus, I look to more owners and their experience to get a balanced view.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:17 AM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
Well...I nearly bought 2 .2 cars... a 09 and a 10 car. issue I ended up having was the options were pretty light in the mid 60k cars, then I found a 09 car from a PP for 57K with 19k on the clock. seller was a complete flake though, so I suggested he go fly a kite, and bought a well appointed .1 car instead. the .2 is quicker, sure, but for 10-15+k less, I figured that i can set the car up the way I want it.
OP, I try to buy only PP sellers, but its always been more difficult in the end being most have loans on their cars,etc. So offer what youre willing to pay...all they can say is go fly a kite.

good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Gen 2 Carrera S: Ripoff? Keep searching?