997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aftermarket spoilers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:53 PM
the997dude is on a distinguished road
Aftermarket spoilers?

I have a 997.2 S and the spoiler comes up on its own at high speeds and I also have the button that allows me to put it up or down. I find that I like it up all the time. So I was thinking of just getting an aftermarket spoiler. My questions are:

1. How does it work since our stock spoilers rise and fall - does the spoiler just sit on top of that and also rise and fall?

2. Did anyone put an aftermarket spoiler and later regret it? Maybe it looks too childish/ like a kid in a Honda etc. to have this big spoiler on the back.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by the997dude
I have a 997.2 S and the spoiler comes up on its own at high speeds and I also have the button that allows me to put it up or down. I find that I like it up all the time. So I was thinking of just getting an aftermarket spoiler. My questions are:

1. How does it work since our stock spoilers rise and fall - does the spoiler just sit on top of that and also rise and fall?

2. Did anyone put an aftermarket spoiler and later regret it? Maybe it looks too childish/ like a kid in a Honda etc. to have this big spoiler on the back.
1. I have a fixed GT3RS looking spoiler, button was disabled by my dealer for free when I took it in for an oil change.

2. Nope, never felt childish, kids in Honda's love it. I grew up with Porsches with huge tails. One's w/o one just looks naked to me.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:10 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Spoiler goes up at 80 mph and lowers at 50 mph.
If you replace with a fixed spoiler of any type, you will need to change the power harness and remove all associated hardware.
Then you have to have the car reprogrammed to delete the spoiler option in the ECU or you'll get a constant error reminder in the speedo whenever it tries to deploy.
Have a look at the "duck tail finals" thread.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
The TechArt Type I spoiler is the only one I've seen that goes for a ride up and down on the ducktail. Most aftermarket ones require disabling the up/down operation or are an outright replacement for the whole deck lid.

Another option is to retrofit a Turbo decklid and wing. I'm currently in the process of doing that and am actively documenting the work over on Rennlist. I plan on doing a good DIY writeup at the end. If everything goes as expected, the Turbo wing will raise and lower properly using the same signals as the original deck lid.

Another reason to consider a more conservative spoiler like the Turbo one or the TechArt Type III. The fact that you are asking this question may mean that a big wing may not be something you'd feel good about.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Strange! I recently installed the ducktail and thought I had to take it to the dealer to disable the auto-up/down. But I've been driving it for 2 months now and I haven't got any warning message when going over 80mph/120kph.

The auto-up/down was working normally with the original spoiler so it couldn't have been disabled before?!

Is this something I should worry about?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
I'm surprised you didn't get a warning light, but if it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it. I had to get the error cleared and buy a new wiring harness. Neither is a very big deal, but it's always a pain to go to the shop to clear codes. The harness is about $100, and a simple plug-in replacement for the original. Could the installer have taken care of these things?

I agree that these cars look incomplete without big spoilers, but I also think they should be sporting bright colors, and otherwise be a bit audacious. Of course, it's a personal choice. Have fun with it. That's the whole idea.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Actually I did buy the wiring harness together with the ducktail, but I thought it was to delete the 3 brake light just below the rear window and would still require coding to disable the auto-up/down?!

Sorry OP, didn't mean to steal the thread. My opinion on rear wing (from the look perspective) is that it needs to look "balance" together with the front and rear bumpers. Big wing with mean looking bumpers isn't "childish", but Big wing with lean bumpers look... erR. TechArt Type 3 wing was my favourite when I still had the stock bumpers

Old 10-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Good info. Thanks guys !

Old 10-17-2014, 03:16 AM
CM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud of
I have the Techart III on mine, and it is a replacement deck lid. I think it looks great and definitely not too "racer boy" - but it is a fixed wing for sure. I recently saw a company that makes a spitting image knock off of the Techart down in SoCal and sells for a little less than half the price.

I say get whatever makes you happy, man. Live a little! Them GT3 kids have the biggest wings around & they don't seem to mind one bit! Lol

Old 10-17-2014, 05:31 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
I say if you like the look, it's your car, go for it!

Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Rob_G is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CM_699
I have the Techart III on mine, and it is a replacement deck lid. I think it looks great and definitely not too "racer boy" - but it is a fixed wing for sure. I recently saw a company that makes a spitting image knock off of the Techart down in SoCal and sells for a little less than half the price.

I say get whatever makes you happy, man. Live a little! Them GT3 kids have the biggest wings around & they don't seem to mind one bit! Lol

Would you mind sharing the company making the knockoff?

Old 10-18-2014, 01:01 AM
CM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud of
It was a really obscure site. I may have bookmarked it on my computer, so if I find it I'll post it up. (I usually check 6spd & Rennlist on mobile, so I don't have it on this device) -I found the site when I fell down a Google Hole™ looking for NB to Wide Body conversions on 997. The site had wheels, body kits, flares, etc - very basic layout, nothing flashy about the site at all, and the fin referenced the techart in it's name - like "TA-III" or something like that.

I found this one:
http://www.cargym.com/997-911-carrer...5_262_409.html

It's similar to the site I saw but not the one I was thinking of- but they have the wing for $1035? Ha that's actually pretty good !

http://www.cargym.com/porsche-997-91...er-p-2390.html

Dan

Old 10-18-2014, 06:49 AM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rob_G
Would you mind sharing the company making the knockoff?
Here is a link to another knockoff company I'd seen when considering options: http://www.nrauto.com/subitem.php?i=MjQ=&c=Porsche. I know nothing about them though so this is only FYI and not a recommendation.

Be very very careful and make sure you vet anything like this carefully. If you look at our OEM stuff you see that all of the lines between panels are perfect, the gap is the same all of the way down, every line aligns perfectly, and the surfaces are perfectly smooth with no dips or bulges. On some of the cheap ones I've seen these lines wander wider and thinner in places. I wouldn't want to look at that every time I walked up to the car, but I am a bit of a OCD perfectionist. Some of the really cheap ones require you to do your own finishing work, there are still bumps and rough edges that have to be sanded or filled. Now that it seems I've tried to instill some reasonable fear, I'm sure some of these are okay and would work nicely.

Beyond the fact that I have a negative feel about taking a design or product that someone has copied from someone else and claiming it as their own, it is also a risk and effort thing. I'd rather pay more (within reason) and get a known quality product even if it means waiting a while longer and saving up more money in my mod fund to know that I have a good product that is going to install easily, look great, and that I'd be proud of saying where I got it.

I think CM_699's TechArt wing is a beautiful work of art by a company with a top-shelf reputation and well worth the extra cost. Great looking car! It's really cool how the top lines of the wing mimic the lines of the windshield.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:07 AM
I have been doing some research and I'm starting to consider doing a full gt3 body kit. I really love the gt3 body look. Has anyone done this ?

Old 10-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Rob_G is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by StormRune
Here is a link to another knockoff company I'd seen when considering options: http://www.nrauto.com/subitem.php?i=MjQ=&c=Porsche. I know nothing about them though so this is only FYI and not a recommendation.

Be very very careful and make sure you vet anything like this carefully. If you look at our OEM stuff you see that all of the lines between panels are perfect, the gap is the same all of the way down, every line aligns perfectly, and the surfaces are perfectly smooth with no dips or bulges. On some of the cheap ones I've seen these lines wander wider and thinner in places. I wouldn't want to look at that every time I walked up to the car, but I am a bit of a OCD perfectionist. Some of the really cheap ones require you to do your own finishing work, there are still bumps and rough edges that have to be sanded or filled. Now that it seems I've tried to instill some reasonable fear, I'm sure some of these are okay and would work nicely.

Beyond the fact that I have a negative feel about taking a design or product that someone has copied from someone else and claiming it as their own, it is also a risk and effort thing. I'd rather pay more (within reason) and get a known quality product even if it means waiting a while longer and saving up more money in my mod fund to know that I have a good product that is going to install easily, look great, and that I'd be proud of saying where I got it.

I think CM_699's TechArt wing is a beautiful work of art by a company with a top-shelf reputation and well worth the extra cost. Great looking car! It's really cool how the top lines of the wing mimic the lines of the windshield.
Thank you and the point well taken. We wouldn't want something not looking off on a car as great as ours. The vendor you referenced is interesting as it's sold by a sponsor, I believe. These guys are actually 10 mins away and so I'm tempted to just go and see out of curiosity.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket spoilers?