997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Another new 997 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:55 PM
dalancroft is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by andy92782
Still really new with this car - I've only run one tank of gas through it.

Initial impressions:
- Bose audio sucks compared to the Logic7 system in my old E90. Where's the bass?
- Rear weight bias is RAD when it comes to acceleration. The car flat out hooks.
- It's *spectacular* on mountain roads. Part of my first gas tank was spent flogging it on Mulholland and other twisties located near Malibu. The 997 does not disappoint.
- How can something so fast get such good gas mileage?!
1) See rye3m (ryem3? I can't remember exactly) and his fairly inexpensive mods to improve the car's sound. Since you have the coupe and not the cab, 2 Dayton Audio drivers (I have built loudspeakers with them) behind the rear seats, replacing the stock Blose, will tighten up and deepen your bass response, as will Focal 8" in the doors.
2) Yup. Welcome to the 911 world.
3) Yup. Those are great roads, and we have many similar ones up here in Northern Cali.
4) Aerodynamics and light weight.

As for clear corners, you will be amazed at what $40-45 buys you in improved looks. Especially on a silver car.

Welcome and enjoy!

Old 10-21-2014, 06:30 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
congrats looks beautiful.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Welcome, to you and your sweet ride. My last car was a 650, which I tried to fool myself into thinking was a sports car. It was a very nice ride, but not one that made me want to go out just for the sake of driving. As said above, and in many other places, there really is no substitute. Enjoy yourself.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 AM
warzilla is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the ride.

I've had many M3s in the past (and probably getting a e46 for track soon) and enjoy the 911 as well. Personally I think both are great cars, but lately BMW is getting a bit too tech heavy and turbo crazy as well. I'm really on the fence on the new M3/M4 only because I think they look too big (and I thought e92 was big), and I'm not in love with turbo engines. Yes I know - lots of torque, instant power, etc. Still a NA guy.

But in general fellow BMW drivers tend to be a-holes-ish then fellow Porsche drivers. Just look at the forums for reference - more courtesy and respect shown on P-forums compared to those BMW forums. Sometimes I read stuff on the BMW forums and I just cringe.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:07 PM
andy92782 is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the compliments. I'm really looking forward putting miles on this car. Clear corners have been ordered and will be installed ASAP.

I'll always have a soft spot for BMWs. It's the brand that introduced me to Deutsche autos and I've experienced European Delivery with them multiple times. It's just that as of late they've become less focused on the core values that made them what they are and more focused on gaining market share. The simple fact of the matter is they don't drive like they used to and that's what led me here.

EDIT: I guess the same could be said about Porsche in terms of gaining market share (Cayenne, Macan, Panamera, etc..) but the difference is Porsche *hasn't* lost focus on core values. The 991 and 981 are still at the top of their game.

Last edited by andy92782; 10-24-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:23 PM
andy92782 is on a distinguished road
Clear corners installed and bike rack added. My Santa Cruz Tallboy and the 997 go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:41 PM
TCZ
TCZ is on a distinguished road
Awesome. I am envious of the 997.2!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Looks great Andy! Nice bike

Old 11-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Undercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the Porsche purchase, Let us know If there are any performance related questions, and if you have any plans to tune or upgrade in the future as we will provide the best pricing possible for you.

lawerence@undercover

Old 11-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Jdogg2000 is on a distinguished road
I also came from BMWs, had 5 in a row including 2 M3s before I got my 997.2 GTS. I even did European Delivery on my 335i and I attended the BMW ///M School in S.C.. While I had a great experience with BMW, the 911 driving experience is clearly on a whole other level. The new M3/M4 is blazingly fast in a straight line, but way too big and heavy for my tastes now. As I've grown to appreciate cars more and also had more track experience, I've learned to appreciate low weight. Porsche is just on another level with regards to weight compared to nearly everyone else, unless you go exotic. Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I have.