997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

iPad Mini + Dension 500s BT + CD slot mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:07 AM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
iPad Mini + Dension 500s BT + CD slot mount

Finally found locally this CD slot mount for tablets that works very well.

"http://cloud.video.taobao.com/play/u/69875125/e/1/t/3/p/2/12078113.swf"

I already have the Dension 500BT working with iPhone4/5/6, which is now replaced with the iPad Mini connected via USB/Lightening cable.

Volume control is on the PCM, and everything else is on the iPad Mini (LTE data connection)... Music, Spotify, Google Maps, Waze and Messages... etc. And the new "Hey Siri" feature makes is so much fun to use. My iPhone6 in my pocket is connected to the 500BT via BT for making and receiving phone calls with the control lever on the steering column.

The mount fits into the PCM slot and locked securely & tightly. And the adjustable height is also a very good to have feature! It doesn't look as professional as replacing the whole PCM, but the installation is much simpler, total cost is much cheaper, and without the limitation of CarPlay.

(lower position - most of the time)

(volume on the PCM is still accessible easily)

(upper position - when I'm lost with google maps!)

Last edited by simoncpw; 10-28-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
Pretty slick set up!!! Nice work

Old 10-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Ion
Ion is on a distinguished road
looks good. I integrated a nexus tablet fully in to the dash of my last car. It looked OEM and worked well in the cooler months, but the summer temps killed the battery while sitting in my work parking lot. I couldn't get enough charge on the short drive to / from work to recover, even with a high capacity charger and a quick charge OS mod.

I saw the cd slot mounts and thought this might be a nice alternative, but I wasn't sure if they would clear the AC vents on the 997. Many of the tablet mounts have bulky holding mechanisms as well that are visible from the front. Which tablet mount did you use and how does it connect?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Not sure why the video link doesn't work. But this is the same one that I got:
Amazon.com: XENOMIX SHG-NX4000 Car CD Player Slot Mount Holder for iPad Galaxy Tablet: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: XENOMIX SHG-NX4000 Car CD Player Slot Mount Holder for iPad Galaxy Tablet: Computers & Accessories

The height is adjustable and it's clear for the AC vents when it's at it's lowest position. And I connect the iPad Mini to the PCM via the Dension Gateway 500S BT.

I had the plan to integrate the iPad Mini into the Dash, but I knew charging would be a problem since my daily drive is not long enough to charge the Mini. So I decided to ditch the idea and just got CD-slot-mount. It turned out much better than expected. Doesn't look OEM but certainly looks very professional and not intrusive.

Highly recommend.

Last edited by simoncpw; 10-28-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
That's a great, easy, iPad solution. I swore I wasn't going to touch my underachieving PCM system. With this setup, I wouldn't need to. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
I know this is a stupid question, but how is it connected through USB?

Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Old 10-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
Damn that thing is expensive. Simon how come your fan and temp toggles are missing the emblems?

Last edited by Darthvader; 10-30-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Expensive, agreed, but it was still the most cost effective solution at the time and it has worked out pretty well for me.

For the toggles / switches, they were peeling off badly to a point I couldn't stand it any more, so I took them out and repainted them completely. It looks way better then a peeling switch, even without the emblems. More info from post #8 and #12 on this thread.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:48 AM
babyburner is on a distinguished road
you can use something like the itransit and connect via bluetooth into the radio signal and that is much cheaper. roughly 100 dollars

Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 AM
yes, but at a much lower audio quality and level of integration.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:59 AM
babyburner is on a distinguished road
agreed. You get what you pay for. Its not cd quality... its bluetooth quality. Some people have the misconception that its terrible quality because its on the radio signal but its not. Its PLUGGED directly into the radio signal making it fairly decent. However, yes since its not hardwired digital to something like the denison, the quality is a tad bit lower.

I honestly don't know about integration. What difference would it make Simon? Isn't it for sound only?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 AM
Oh I just sent mine in to have redone. Cost like 80 bucks. A lil cheaper than your denison

Originally Posted by simoncpw
Expensive, agreed, but it was still the most cost effective solution at the time and it has worked out pretty well for me.

For the toggles / switches, they were peeling off badly to a point I couldn't stand it any more, so I took them out and repainted them completely. It looks way better then a peeling switch, even without the emblems. More info from post #8 and #12 on this thread.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 AM
I used to be an Audio Engineer so I do have a certain expectation on audio quality ;-)

The Dension is quite well integrated with PCM:

For music:
- PCM talks to the iPad (via USB) as if it's factory's the CD-changer
- buttons on PCM controls the iPhone / iPad
- audio tracks display on PCM

For phone:
- PCM talks to the iPhone (via BT) just like the factory's phone
- I can make & answer calls with the buttons on PCM or the controls on the steering wheel, while my phone is in the pocket, it also pause / resume the audio on iPad automatically
- caller ID is displayed on the gauge; I talk to an external mic and caller's voice on car's speaker.

Darth - 80 bucks to redo the switches?! Auch

Old 10-31-2014, 11:28 AM
I can't find anyone is South Florida reliable enough to work on my car. They are pretty lazy,over charge and the quality of workmanship sux. If this were not the case my car would have a lot more goodies. Glad to see you have access to good people in HK.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini + Dension 500s BT + CD slot mount