997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

ECU Tune and Plenum-- what's next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tphan
@Miami4me - about your 200 cells cats x-pipe is it 1st or 2nd generation? Used or new? I want adding headers, 200 cell cats, and ECU tune to my 2cs but dread about the CEL headache. As for flat low end torque, biggest reason why i am going with crossed over instead of x-pipe. Thank you for the info.
The cats are first gen, which I got used. I was expecting a CEL, but my dune was supposed to get rid of it. My low end torque issue pretty much went away after the ECU adopted to everything. It's not completely back, but a helluva lot better than when the cats were first installed.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Déjà vu. That's post 4 verbatim.

Actually, the next step was unexpected. Somehow I managed to lose an exhaust tip. I just noticed it last night. Arghh. I'm not sure how that happened. I hope none of you were driving behind me when it came off. I think I've finally discovered what the most overpriced Porsche accessory is. How do you frigging lose an exhaust tip?

Old 12-24-2014, 10:38 AM
150shot is on a distinguished road
Probably if they were just clamped on worked its way loose somehow..

Yes tips are outrageous - but I've sourced them before on Ebay ( weed out cheap ones and get decent quality) or Vertex auto. They all look same once installed and mostly keep them clean if polished and will look just like the expensive ones..

Old 12-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by 150shot
Probably if they were just clamped on worked its way loose somehow.. Yes tips are outrageous - but I've sourced them before on Ebay ( weed out cheap ones and get decent quality) or Vertex auto. They all look same once installed and mostly keep them clean if polished and will look just like the expensive ones..
Thanks. I will likely go with Vertex if I can't find a good used option. Vertex is my regular mechanic shop, anyway, and a bunch of standup guys.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:16 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Miami4me...only way to enjoy these mods is to come out to the track. I will be at Homestead January 3-4th if you want to come out...still room to sign up...it will be the best mod you will ever do.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
I started at the track this year and couldn't agree more. Did six track days at Roebling with Coastal Empire. Loving it.

On topic...I do want to do the competition IPD plenum

Originally Posted by mdrums
Miami4me...only way to enjoy these mods is to come out to the track. I will be at Homestead January 3-4th if you want to come out...still room to sign up...it will be the best mod you will ever do.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Right now I'd settle for no CEL. I just installed the latest VR fix, and still have that darned light. Now VR wants me to get under the car to check if the O2 sensors are causing the 2196 fault code. Grr. I just finished waiting for its back office in the EU to finish its two week Christmas vacation, before I could install the third iteration of my flash.

Oddly, I felt a strong surge of low to mid end toque with the latest flash, which I had not felt before. That at was a good thing, but VR offered no explanation. It now feels like I hoped it would feel when I did the tune, plenum, and cats. The car is running like a champ, but that CEL bugs the hell out of me.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 PM
mk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nice
sounds like u need another chip or backtrack on mods?

Old 01-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by mk3boy
sounds like u need another chip or backtrack on mods?
Maybe. I expected the CEL from the cats, but expected the tune to cure it. Since the readings from the O2 sensors are what trips the fault, checking the sensors may not be a bad idea, but it's a major PITA. After three tries on the tune, they're now my prime suspects.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:12 PM
flyingturtle will become famous soon enough
Listen, I know you did not have issues before doing the mods, but keep checking the steps one by one. You might have a small air leak somewhere causing that code. Sometimes it is in front of us but we are so overthinking, we do not see it. Trust me on this, you will get it sorted out in no time and enjoy the car. That mod list has been done by hundreds of people, and it works. Good to hear VR is standing by the product and helping out as much as they can.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:12 PM
flyingturtle will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Don

Gorgeous car Don

Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 PM
TJ Elliott has a spectacular aura aboutTJ Elliott has a spectacular aura about
Have you considered O2 sensor extenders that are designed to eliminate the CEL issue? they can be purchased at Maxspeed at the link below:

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/...t_Fix%22_.html

Old 01-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by flyingturtle
Gorgeous car Don
Thanks!

Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by TJ Elliott
Have you considered O2 sensor extenders that are designed to eliminate the CEL issue? they can be purchased at Maxspeed at the link below: http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/...t_Fix%22_.html
Yes, I have the extenders in place already. Unfortunately, that's not it. Thanks anyway.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Final update (I hope):

VR sent me a fourth iteration of its tune about a week ago. Since I installed it, I haven't seen the CEL. I've been afraid of jinxing it, but I think it's time to declare this a success. Thanks to VR for not giving up. They did tell me that Porsche used numerous different codes in the 997s, and it can sometimes be difficult to determine which one to use in any different application. That was news to me. Now to deal with a new TPMS issue . . .