997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Carerra vs Carerra S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:49 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
No offense taken I stated that magazines very in test numbers. Magazines test in different weather temperatures, altitude locations, road traction, car options and driver skill that all play into factoring a cars performance on any given day. So we take them with a grain of salt.

As I stated before.. I am a huge Porsche fan and I enjoy driving all types of Porsche. So I hope no one thinks that I am trying to knock Carrera 3.6 at all! In fact I am always impressed when driving my friends Carrera 3.6 and I think it is a great car! It has a very sweet and strong engine, sounds great, has a lighter overall difference in weight that you can really feel, is great fun to drive and is still a very fast car by any standard.

I also agree with you 100% that in all race situations it comes down to the driver. A good driver will always out perform an average driver even if they are in a more powerful or better handling car... No doubt about it. As an example I have a friend who owns a 500+ hp turbo and on a track or canyon road he can not hang with me in my C4S. Clearly the driver makes all the difference because the Turbo is clearly the faster car. With the same driver the S models will always have a performance advantage over the non-S. And that's ok... There are faster models then the S... like the GTS, GT3, and Turbo... and that's ok too. There will always be something faster or more powerful. It does not mean the fastest models are everyone's cup of tea. It also does not mean the fastest models are the most enjoyable to drive in every situation. Enjoy each model for it's strengths, mannerisms and the way it feels to drive. I think most Porsche guys get that and have mutual respect for 911 club members.

As far as "evidence", I shared that video because there was some discussions specifically about performance similarities and differences. That video reflects some of my "real-world" experience in friendly races on the street and track with friends that have base models and similar track experience as myself.

The point I hope and tried to make in all my posts is that straight line power or better handling do have advantages, but it comes down to personal preference and driving style as to which model to chose. Driving the most powerful 911 is not always the most fun. You have to find what works for you and the joy you will experience driving and owning any 911 will be very rewarding.

Last edited by qikqbn; 01-08-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 PM
mk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nice
more power is all always good so why is their a debate on this ? Only issue here is the budget because if it wasn't a issue most people would be running gt3 or turbo's all day long.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mk3boy
more power is all always good so why is their a debate on this ? Only issue here is the budget because if it wasn't a issue most people would be running gt3 or turbo's all day long.

I have to disagree that budget is the only reason people do not buy the faster models. Not everyone needs or wants the faster models.

For example Motor Trend Magazine named the 911 C2S and C4S best drivers car 2012-2013. For 2014 a Turbo S competed and it came in 3rd place. To be honest.. I was really bummed because I am a Porsche fan, but I was not surprised. The Turbo S is awesomely fast, but that does not mean it is more a joy to drive then the C2S or C4S or even the Base models or Caymans/Boxsters... That is the point we have been discussing in this forum. Buy what fits your life style and you will be more then happy to own a 911

Last edited by qikqbn; 01-09-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 PM
golfnutintib is on a distinguished road
Here da truth

Originally Posted by Perk10
1. This thread is useless.
2. Search
3. Search
4. I am sorry that you are concerned with other peoples' opinions as much as you are.
5. You can say you're not but then why did you make a thread out of it?

Old 01-09-2015, 12:03 AM
flyingturtle will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
here da truth
x 2.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:37 PM
mk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nice
Originally Posted by flyingturtle
x 2.
x3 . Big Ham

Old 01-11-2015, 06:42 AM
i agree also

Old 01-11-2015, 11:22 AM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
Why is this silly tread still alive? Someone please kill it!