997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Carerra vs Carerra S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 PM
REKX is on a distinguished road
997 Carerra vs Carerra S?

So I have started shopping for a 997, and I know many people really dislike the Carerra saying its not a proper Porsche.

But I'm keeping my options open, what I like about the Carerra is that it seems more of an everyday car, daily driver kind of thing.

But then the Carerra S has a bit more power, and I do like power.

4s and other forms are not for me, I only drive rear wheel drive german cars.

I just dont want to get loads of hate if I do end up with a normal Carerra.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:32 AM
BigZ is on a distinguished road
If you are concerned about what other people will think about you then don't even buy a Porsche.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM
BLKPPR is on a distinguished road
I have a base 05 Carrera. It's an IMS car. Some on here would think that I drive a giant POS. I don't GAS as I absolutely love my car and I am willing to bet that I drive my car as hard or harder than most. I track her constantly and she has not let me down. Would I prefer more power, sure who wouldn't but certainly have more than ample usable power specially on the street. Not going to lie, could use more on the track.
I like to personalize my cars and have added a pedestal wing on the rear, lip spoiler on the front, LED's all the way around, Custom steering wheel, custom mats and lots of carbon fiber. It's not everyone's cup of tea but she works for me.

Buy the car that is right for you, don't worry about anyone else.
BTW, I would drive my car over a Turbo Cab every day so what do I know

Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
I start out wanting a C4S because of the wide hips . But after careful consideration end up with a C2S and couldn't be happier (well would be more happier with the Turbo).

Know a guy that has a 05 Carrera with under 5K miles, his look great.

All P cars are cruiser. Cannot go wrong with a plain vanilla Carrera. The S is more bit more fun with few more buttons to push.

It's a Porsche 911.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM
the997dude is on a distinguished road
Go with the S for sure !

Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 AM
rickdogg82 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by REKX
So I have started shopping for a 997, and I know many people really dislike the Carerra saying its not a proper Porsche.

But I'm keeping my options open, what I like about the Carerra is that it seems more of an everyday car, daily driver kind of thing.

But then the Carerra S has a bit more power, and I do like power.

4s and other forms are not for me, I only drive rear wheel drive german cars.

I just dont want to get loads of hate if I do end up with a normal Carerra.
I have never heard of a base Carrera being referred to as a non-proper Porsche (although I have heard it about Boxsters). Sure it does not have the power and some features of the S but it is still an iconic 911. Even within the 997 range the S is just middle of the road.

As a daily driver, I hardly think there would be any difference between S and non-S. If you want a 911, get a 911. If you can afford an S go for it. But if your budget does not allow it you will still end up with a great car.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Izzycab has a spectacular aura aboutIzzycab has a spectacular aura about
I have a non S and am very happy. Has lots of power, not the fastest car out there but its great. I use mine as a daily driver, its a 05 and yes its a Porsche! Al least thats what most people that always stop an compliment me on how nice the car is and how they really want to get one someday. Get into the one that you can afford and be happy you have the privilege to drive one.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by BLKPPR
I have a base 05 Carrera. It's an IMS car. Some on here would think that I drive a giant POS. I don't GAS as I absolutely love my car and I am willing to bet that I drive my car as hard or harder than most. I track her constantly and she has not let me down. Would I prefer more power, sure who wouldn't but certainly have more than ample usable power specially on the street. Not going to lie, could use more on the track.
I like to personalize my cars and have added a pedestal wing on the rear, lip spoiler on the front, LED's all the way around, Custom steering wheel, custom mats and lots of carbon fiber. It's not everyone's cup of tea but she works for me.

Buy the car that is right for you, don't worry about anyone else.
BTW, I would drive my car over a Turbo Cab every day so what do I know
Lol, I am new to the Porsche scene, after driving BMW for a while. But I immediately got the impression that base Carrera is an embarrassing car.

The reason why I have decided to go for Porshce now is because the 997 series onwards have really tackled the rear engine thing, and the drive is so planted and measured. BMW M3 and M4 are faster from 0-60, but the overall drive of the Porsche seems to be appealing for me now.

And would you care to explain this IMS issue, not familiar with it. I have heard 997s have bearing issues which I am quite apprehensive about.

And your car sounds nice, pics?

Originally Posted by tphan
I start out wanting a C4S because of the wide hips . But after careful consideration end up with a C2S and couldn't be happier (well would be more happier with the Turbo).

Know a guy that has a 05 Carrera with under 5K miles, his look great.

All P cars are cruiser. Cannot go wrong with a plain vanilla Carrera. The S is more bit more fun with few more buttons to push.

It's a Porsche 911.
Under 5k? 05? Really? Im not exactly an expert but, wouldn't that be really bad for the car?

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
I have never heard of a base Carrera being referred to as a non-proper Porsche (although I have heard it about Boxsters). Sure it does not have the power and some features of the S but it is still an iconic 911. Even within the 997 range the S is just middle of the road.

As a daily driver, I hardly think there would be any difference between S and non-S. If you want a 911, get a 911. If you can afford an S go for it. But if your budget does not allow it you will still end up with a great car.
I've only caught onto Porsche since 997, so Im not that versed on the history of 911 although I know it has a long and iconic one.

The thing is fuel economy is something for me as well, the car will be a daily driver.

Apart from power and hid lights and sports exhaust mode, are there any more major differences?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Izzycab
I have a non S and am very happy. Has lots of power, not the fastest car out there but its great. I use mine as a daily driver, its a 05 and yes its a Porsche! Al least thats what most people that always stop an compliment me on how nice the car is and how they really want to get one someday. Get into the one that you can afford and be happy you have the privilege to drive one.
Ah, that's re assuring.

I was a little worried posting here with non s and expecting to get hate.

Yeah I'm not going to be racing BMW M cars with a non S, although I would have liked to. But I want to enjoy the character of the car.

All I know is I'll be needed a lot of new tires.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 AM
9114Scab will become famous soon enough
I have a 2012 (997) 4S cab, and I love it. I would recommend it.

BUT, the base 911 Carrera is a proper Porsche. And anyone who tells you different is clueless of Porsche history and heritage.

Buy the best one you can afford, don't worry about what others think. I get more attitude and tailgating ,then any other car I've ever owned.

THE 911 base Carrera IS A PROPER Porsche.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by 9114Scab
I have a 2012 (997) 4S cab, and I love it. I would recommend it.

BUT, the base 911 Carrera is a proper Porsche. And anyone who tells you different is clueless of Porsche history and heritage.

Buy the best one you can afford, don't worry about what others think. I get more attitude and tailgating ,then any other car I've ever owned.

THE 911 base Carrera IS A PROPER Porsche.
Seriously? What cars are tailgaiting you?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
any 911 is a proper Porsche, don't let people tell you anything differnent. A base 911 has a lot of power for daily use or daily commute. The S has more character to it, mostly bigger engine, more hp, bigger brake with RED calipers. As for which one I would buy, I would go for the best Porsche I can afford, but definitely prefer the S before base. After a few years of ownership, I am starting to like the Turbo or GT3, but for an entry level BASE is one heck of car to drive around town. Good luck.
Search IMS and you will have tons of information about it.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
My first Carreras (second Porsche) was a non-S 996 that I absolutely loved, even with tiptronic. My current one is a 997 S, which I also love, but reflects my need for a little more speed, and some other options. I agree that you shouldn't worry about what anyone thinks. That said, the only people who would ever even notice a difference are on this forum, anyway. The general motoring public simp,u sees a Porsche, for good or for bad. Get the options you want in the price range you can live with. There's always going to be a nicer one out there, but you can't let that be your deciding factor.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Don't let ANYONE tell you that a 911 Carrera isn't a proper Porsche -- In fact there are people who have a healthy stable that consider the most basic Carrera to be the best and purest example of the spirit of Porsche.

I would recommend you drive both, the S and non S, and decide if the price difference is warranted for your situation. Do not become concerned with what others think, I cannot stress that enough!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me, we specialize in all Porsches!

- Jason
626 539 2911

Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
The one thing I have to add is that you seem to be equating a non-S with no HID or sports exhaust. While its true that some lower cost non-S models will have less of this things, and the S's come with more standard options, the 997s are one of the most highly personalized cars out there, the number of options are staggering and you can find almost anything on any model 997 you want. It is possible for a non-S to be as well configured as an S... except for the engine, logo, and brakes (as noted by the red calipers on all S models that don't have PCCBs). BTW, ninety-five percent or more of the world doesn't know the difference between an S and a non-S.

Okay, two things: You'll find that the power band on the S brings more power across the board, the effective difference is more than just the peak numbers. The seat-of-the-pants difference in feel is much more than the "bit more power" you mentioned. I was very proud of my initial non-S, but being power-crazy, it only took me 10 months to step up to the power of the S. I do miss the wide hips of my Carrera 4 though, she was definitely sexy.

Last edited by StormRune; 12-08-2014 at 02:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Carerra vs Carerra S?