997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Carerra vs Carerra S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:44 PM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Here are base specs for both models.

http://press.porsche.com/archive/pro...rera_specs.pdf

Old 12-08-2014, 03:50 PM
REKX is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rickdogg82
I have never heard of a base Carrera being referred to as a non-proper Porsche (although I have heard it about Boxsters). Sure it does not have the power and some features of the S but it is still an iconic 911. Even within the 997 range the S is just middle of the road.

As a daily driver, I hardly think there would be any difference between S and non-S. If you want a 911, get a 911. If you can afford an S go for it. But if your budget does not allow it you will still end up with a great car.
Its interesting you mention boxster.

I told my friend about the Carrera (hes a car but not necessarily Porsche enthusiast), and his comment was 'thats basically a boxster', its comments like that inspired me to make this thread.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM
9114Scab will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by REKX
Its interesting you mention boxster. I told my friend about the Carrera (hes a car but not necessarily Porsche enthusiast), and his comment was 'thats basically a boxster', its comments like that inspired me to make this thread.

But it is not basically a Boxster. The base Carrera is nothing like the boxster. The 911 is in a class all its own, IMHO .

Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 PM
dalancroft is on a distinguished road
My wife initially test drove a non-S 911 Cab. Coming from a 340-hp V8 Audi S4, she came away unimpressed. Then she drove an S (they were both 2011 MY) and came back with a big smile on her face. Needless to say, we drove home in the S!

Old 12-08-2014, 06:53 PM
sleepy will become famous soon enough
Some will always say they would get an S and never a base, always a BMW 335 and never a 328, etc.

But if you get the S, you'd be the one who "couldn't afford the Porsche turbo". You get the point.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:10 PM
REKX is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dalancroft
My wife initially test drove a non-S 911 Cab. Coming from a 340-hp V8 Audi S4, she came away unimpressed. Then she drove an S (they were both 2011 MY) and came back with a big smile on her face. Needless to say, we drove home in the S!
Daam non S did not make your wife smile?

Porsche, where did it all go wrong?

Ok I'm keeping my options open.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:37 PM
barbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura about
I told my friend about the Carrera (hes a car but not necessarily Porsche enthusiast), and his comment was 'thats basically a boxster', its comments like that inspired me to make this thread.
No offense, but your friend has no idea what he's talking about and you probably shouldn't take any further advice from him concerning Porsches. The 911 and Boxster are very different... first among the differences are rear-engine vs mid-engine configuration.

Anyway, a Boxster is a great car in it's own right. It is not as iconic as the 911, but I can't really see how any Porsche could be considering an embarrassing car to own... especially not a base Carrera.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:57 AM
BigZ is on a distinguished road

I will say you had better drive them both. Even the S was underwhelming to me coming from a Cayman and then a tuned 335. If you are coming from an M3 or tuned 335 then the base Carrera may not impress you.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 AM
RON1X will become famous soon enoughRON1X will become famous soon enough
I'm a little taken back by some of the comments. I was coming from a V8 BMW M3 (which followed a heavily modified 335i) and the 997.2 Carrera I have more than impresses me! My 997.2 PDK is my track toy and 80% of the miles I drive it are on the track, so here are my thoughts:

A factor worth considering is the 997.2 DFI engine that is quite an improvement over the 997.1 engine. The 997.2 carrera can keep up with (and beat the 997.1 Carrera S) on a track all day. Quite frankly, the 997.2 S is a bit more powerful, but its barely noticeable on a track.

It all depends on what you want, but I'm very happy with my base Carrera. In the end its a still a 911, its that simple.

edit: We all know that there typically are "better" versions of the 911 you can always opt for (or dream of), but you can also be happy with a base Carrera and have a ton of fun with it

Last edited by RON1X; 12-09-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:15 AM
hot nikon is on a distinguished road
I'd rather have a lightly optioned C2S than a heavily optioned C2.

But, I'd really LOVE a TT...

Old 12-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
There is no doubt that the 997.2 is a step up from the 997.1. After being around so many of these cars, today I would take a 997.2 base over a 997.1 S easily.

You definitely need to drive all variants and let that be the deciding factor for you, it all comes down to what fits the need for your situation

Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 PM
dalancroft is on a distinguished road

Well, if she'd come from an Accord or Camry, perhaps -- but she's a "car girl" and wanted a clear and obvious upgrade from the S4.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:18 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Hey REKX three things:

1. Your friend doesn't know "squat" about Porsche.
2. You need go with what your inside tell you.
3. This post is a funny as *****

Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche marketing at its best: they put a "$" sign at the end of "Carrera", took out the "|", and we all fell for it! (Ha ha). A 911 is a 911, whatever the suffix.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:12 AM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PSPorsche
Porsche marketing at its best: they put a "$" sign at the end of "Carrera", took out the "|", and we all fell for it! (Ha ha). A 911 is a 911, whatever the suffix.
hummm, what about the extra 30hp, bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, wider exhaust, higher top speed, faster 0-60? Yes a porsche is a porsche but the base 911 seems to be more comfortable for a Daly driver since its softer and more comfortable, while the S is a bit more "racy" if you will; you can't really say a base is the same as a GT3 or GT2 just cuz they are both 911's....

Last edited by martidamm; 12-17-2014 at 07:56 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Carerra vs Carerra S?