997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Carerra vs Carerra S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:29 AM
the997dude is on a distinguished road
I think it really depends on how you look at the question. Is it a Porsche? Yes. Is it a 911? Yes. At its very core, is it the spirited iconic sports car that everyone knows ? Yes. For most, that is enough. For others, they look at it more granularly and see all of the things that separate the S and non S. The HP, the breaks, etc. bottoms line, it is such a subjective question and my advice on Porsche is to buy the newest you can afford weather it's a gt3, S, or base.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
1. This thread is useless.
2. Search
3. Search
4. I am sorry that you are concerned with other peoples' opinions as much as you are.
5. You can say you're not but then why did you make a thread out of it?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Perk10
1. This thread is useless. 2. Search 3. Search 4. I am sorry that you are concerned with other peoples' opinions as much as you are. 5. You can say you're not but then why did you make a thread out of it?
It's pretty hard to disagree.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:31 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
There are people who actually prefer the Carrera engine with its lower reciprocating mass free-revving engine.

But I agree with the sentiment concerning caring what others think.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Jeller is on a distinguished road
I purchased an "S' because it had all the options I wanted pretty much already and was easier to find than a well optioned non-S car, but I looked at both until I found the right car.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:45 AM
slowday is on a distinguished road
Here's a story for you. A friend of mine owns a "base" 2005 Carerra and I own a 2006 C4S. We both gave a mutual friend a ride in our cars. The mutual friend said the "base" Carrera was "much faster". Now the other dude drives like a maniac, think Pastor Maldonado, I'm much smoother, think Jensen Button.
Moral of the story, these cars are close enough the experience pretty much comes down to the driver.

Having said all that, you seem like you definitely care what other people think so just go buy an S and you will go to bed happy

Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
There was not always the S optioned car available, normally-aspirated and Turbo were your choices.

Find the car that you think will make you happy and if it is a non-S car so be it, it is still a Porsche 911!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
silly post to be honest with you...you should get a 330CI bmw and add some race muffler cans to it instead

Old 12-16-2014, 06:47 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
It seems the consensus is that you should not care so much about what other's think. If you do you may end up missing out on a lot of life's joys and amazing experiences. Make up your own mind and Test drive both. Decide based on how much power and options you think would make you happy...

Also... would you take financial advice from a poor homeless person??? Then why would you listen to some one who has never owned a Porsche for an opinion on which Porsche to buy... ( I am referring to your friend who call's the base Carrera "not a real Porsche")

What you will find in ANY car forum are those who divide themselves in to groups based on "status" or "power". For Porsche guys, this goes back 60 years.. I am sure the 356 owners think 911 owners got it all wrong and 911 owners think 356 owners are missing out... Then there were those that thought 912 , 928, 944, 914, 916 and boxster/caymans were not real Porsche's either because they were cheaper, even though they share many parts from the 911.... on and on and on...

The truth is that Porsche makes some of the best driving cars in the world period. There is a lot of joy to be had driving any Porsche. Mid engine or rear engine all Porsche's have incredible steering feel and handle like nothing else out there. It is a thrill and privilege to drive any Porsche. Porsche makes many different optioned 911's because not everyone is a track junkie or speed freak. Many owner's love the "less" powered models because they get to really rev it out and experience the screaming engine at high rpm's... Others, like turbo owners, want gobs of torque down low and never feel the need to rev the engine high.. You will have to decide what makes you happy and then make the decision to enjoy it. For example, I own a C4S and even though I can easily afford a Turbo, I have no desire to own a turbo. I owned fast turbo cars in the 90's and no longer have a desire for them. Give me a high revving, predictable power band, naturally aspirated engine any day. That makes me happy... and that's all I care about when blasting through my favorite canyons or on the race track by myself. Turbo's are awesome... just not for me and I am ok with that. Another example is that I also own a "Not a real Porsche Boxster" and it is a fricking blast to drive. They are some of the funnest Porsche's I have ever driven. If I was worried about what others thought then I would be missing out on one of life's great joys, which is to drive a mid engine Porsche.

Last piece of advice... If you have a doubt or any desire to want to start "upgrading" the base Carrera with more power, exhaust, brakes, interior...etc, etc... because you think you will be unhappy with the performance, then stop right there and Go buy the Carrera S. I know what its like to buy a "base" model only to spend $1000's more upgrading it to a more powerful car with better features. You will end up spending more over time then had you just gone with a car with bigger engine and better options to begin with... So be honest with yourself about how you will use it. Buy the best model you can afford and drive it through the canyons as often as you can. Any doubts or frustrations will disappear within the first few corners guaranteed.

Last edited by qikqbn; 12-16-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Amen. Nuff said.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:39 AM
BLKPPR is on a distinguished road
And its BRAKES not breaks. Good lord people.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:15 AM
gota911 is on a distinguished road
I bought a 2010 C2S. Never once, in the 3+ years of owning it, have I ever said or thought "I wish I would have bought a base Carrera." Had I bought a base Carrera, I know I would have thought, "I should have gotten the S" multiple times.

The bottom line is "know thyself" and don't give a second thought about what anyone else thinks.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I've owned a 996 C4S and a Cayenne S. If you think that a 997 Carrera will be "frowned upon", then you should try driving a 996! Seriously though, the 997 Carrera is a fantastic car. You've gotten good advice here - decide what you want and go buy it. Don't worry about what other people think. Go to a Porsche event (PCA or something else) with your Porsche and spend some time with true Porsche enthusiasts. You'll find that true enthusiasts love all the cars. Nobody will look down on you no matter which Porsche you drive.

FWIW, I went out for a ride in my brothers 2010 Boxster (base model) and it was fantastic. It offered the Porsche experience, just like my 997 TT does. It's all good...

Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
If you're worried about what people will think, no problem. Just get some red spray paint, and paint the calipers. Then swap out the dual exhaust tips for quad exhaust. And then get an "S" badge and glue it on the back. There. Done.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:17 PM
slowday is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
If you're worried about what people will think, no problem. Just get some red spray paint, and paint the calipers. Then swap out the dual exhaust tips for quad exhaust. And then get an "S" badge and glue it on the back. There. Done.
Cracking up here!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Carerra vs Carerra S?