997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Any Experience with the "Porsche Sport Mode Software" Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 10:41 AM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
Any Experience with the "Porsche Sport Mode Software" Upgrade?

I've got a manual 2010 C4S Cab (without Sport Chrono), and in doing a little pre-Christmas shopping for myself (Santa brought me SSK this year), I also aw this on Suncoast:

Porsche Sport Mode Software
New from Porsche! A factory software kit that adds a new dimension to your Porsche. By pressing a dash-mounted "SPORT" switch, you can chose between a stock mode and a Sport Mode with improved performance dynamics.
Benefits of Sport Mode activation:

Sporty tuning of engine Motronic software, PASM, PSM, Tiptronic Transmission (if applicable), all-wheel-drive system (if applicable).
For vehicles with factory Sport Exhaust, the new Sport button would control exhaust settings.
For vehicles with PCM, new personalized settings can now be controlled. Including memory for lights, wiper, climate control, & door lock settings.
For 2009-2012 vehicles with PDK, you get a Sport Plus button with Launch Control and Race Track Shift Strategy. For base model Cayman & Boxster models, launch control is not included.

So I was wondering if anyone has installed this and what their experience has been? I am also wondering how much difference this would make for a MT versus PDK, as it seems like this would really impact the shifting pattern in a PDK but obviously not do the same for a MT. Does this alter the throttle mapping and/or suspension other than what I already have (and I have the stock exhaust not PSE)? Looking for any thoughts/advice as I'd love to find ways to squeeze more fun into this fabulous car with relatively straightforward mods like this (if they actually add value!).

Merry Christmas to all, and thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts/advice on this

For Turbo models, Overboost is also added for additional a

Old 12-25-2014, 12:19 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Since you have a manual, I don't think you will get anything other than a remapped, more sensitive, throttle response when in sport mode. Not sure it would be worth the $$$.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:12 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GS997S
Since you have a manual, I don't think you will get anything other than a remapped, more sensitive, throttle response when in sport mode. Not sure it would be worth the $$$.
PSM will also step in later in Sport Mode.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 AM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
OK, thanks guys ... I figured the impact of this not-too-cheap upgrade would be rather limited on a MT (which seems to be case from your input). I think I'll redirect these investment $$'s into a new exhaust system. Many thanks for the input, now I'll go check You Tube for awesome exhaust systems (and annoy the wife with endless loud video clips playing from my iPad...)

Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM
DarkHorseMC is on a distinguished road
I have a 2007 4S... where can I find out what the latest version of PSM is for that year / model? thx!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Hunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really nice
I added the sport mode software update to my C2S with a MT this past summer. You get 3 things with this on a MT car and if you plan to enjoy your car on the track then these are somewhat of a necessity:
  1. Sport throttle mapping - the throttle responds quicker and has a more direct curve to full power. It's a very noticeable difference, but personally I find it more of a pain to activate around town in traffic. It can help with heel-toe'ing on a track.
  2. Hard rev limiter - instead of cutting ignition when you hit the rev limit with the soft rev limiter, thereby lurching the car for an instant as it loses power, with the hard rev limiter you can hold the throttle at redline and bounce it off the limiter, which can be very useful on the track.
  3. Fully disable PSM - You can turn the traction\stability control off on any 911 but it will always reintervene at a set threshold when the tires lose traction. However, if the car is in Sport mode then you can "almost" fully disable PSM and it will not reintervene until a much lower threshold, again very useful on the track.