997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Replacement tires for 977- N rated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:39 AM
Roadent is on a distinguished road
Replacement tires for 977- N rated

Do the N rated tires recommend by Porsche give you better performance than a standard ZR rated tire?? I see many wheel/tire company's using tire brands that don't offer an N rated tire. Just don't want to invest in a set of tires that are not recommeded for the porsche suspension... Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:25 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Roadent
Do the N rated tires recommend by Porsche give you better performance than a standard ZR rated tire?? I see many wheel/tire company's using tire brands that don't offer an N rated tire. Just don't want to invest in a set of tires that are not recommeded for the porsche suspension... Thanks in advanced for any advice.
Read here...make your own decision.
I use non-N rated Michelin PSS, never any issues. But if car is still under warranty (CPO) dealer may insist on N rated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26

Old 12-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The Porsche N rating is given to tires that have been tested by Porsche and that provide the performance characteristics that Porsche desires for the car. There may be other tires that deliver similar performance that haven't been tested and therefore aren't N rated. As a Porsche owner, you have to decide if you want to pay a premium for N rated tires and accept the Porsche performance standards, or if you want to choose another tire based on your own expectations for your car. For example, you may decide that you want to spend less money on tires. You may decide that you want a tire that offers longer tread wear life. These tires probably won't meet Porsche's standards, but they will meet yours.

Porsche tries very hard to protect the brand image, and a big part of that is producing a car that delivers consistent performance. Tires can impact performance so much that Porsche decided to recommend a group of tires that deliver consistent performance. If you buy something that they don't recommend, then they can't guarantee the performance.

So, that was my long-winded way of saying that buying tires that aren't N rated isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just taking your chances with the way the car will handle. Some people will say that they can't tell the difference. Some people will say that they get better performance with a specific tire. If you don't want to try to find the right tire by trial and error, then just buy N rated tires. If you are really comfortable with another tire, then buy that one.

I've tried many tires on my Porsches (some N rated, some not) and I've never found a tire that I like better than the N rated Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I will continue to buy them for now.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:57 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Read here...make your own decision.
I use non-N rated Michelin PSS, never any issues. But if car is still under warranty (CPO) dealer may insist on N rated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26
What he said! Please call me if I can ever help.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
This is where you find which tires are Porsche approved for your car........

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...sanddownloads/

Old 01-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
I'm trying some Pilot Super Sports here in a few days. Coming off PS2. I'll let you know my seat of the pants feeling about them.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:51 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
I just put MPSS on the rear, Ns still on the front..so far they are excellent I cant tell any handling differences..one thing is they are a lot quitter than the bald N rears, MPSS will be on front when they wear out