997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Alternator Cable Problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Alternator Cable Problem?

Wondering if I have the infamous alternator cable problem.

Had the alternator checked at a local parts story and it is putting 13.23 volts at the battery. The tech at the store said everything else like diodes checked fine except volts failed. The crank seems a little slow, but not ridiculous as some have described, although, I replaced the battery a couple months ago.

Thoughts?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 PM
the997dude is on a distinguished road
What year is your car?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Sorry, thinking it was part of my signature or something...anyway '06 997S.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I believe you are referring to the infamous starter cable problem. It runs under the car from the battery back to the engine. It's a fairly expensive job not for the part, but the labor. I also recall it is not an easy diy. I think people often falsely replace the battery when you have slow cranking although there is really nothing wrong with the battery. I had a 997s and it cranked slowly for two years. Didn't change the cable or the battery. Just fwiw.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Don
Sorry, thinking it was part of my signature or something...anyway '06 997S.
Had that same problem on my 06c2s it sucked! I would drive the car then lets say get gas and shut car off then fire it up again it would crank very funny like almost as if it wont start (choking) had the dealer replace the cable that cost me 1500 and sure enough the problem is still there a year later.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Don
Originally Posted by carrera997re
Had that same problem on my 06c2s it sucked! I would drive the car then lets say get gas and shut car off then fire it up again it would crank very funny like almost as if it wont start (choking) had the dealer replace the cable that cost me 1500 and sure enough the problem is still there a year later.
That's not cool. There has to be a way to troubleshoot and determine for sure if it is the cable.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:27 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Don
That's not cool. There has to be a way to troubleshoot and determine for sure if it is the cable.
Not cool at alll esp at 1500. Theres a lot of threads about it on here if you search around but this was like 2 years ago or so. I believe the cable is the problem i think it gets hot or somthing and it acts up cant remember tho. But it would never happen at a cold start or lets say if the car sat for 1-2 hrs it would only happen to me run car hot then shut off then turn back on within 10-15 min of it being off. Its stupid lol but im living with it

Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 AM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
I have this issue also, replaced battery a few months ago, but still acts up.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by gordon9898
100% cable gives you that funny crank noise but fires up

Old 01-08-2015, 08:09 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gordon9898
Ah alas, because the battery isn't the problem. ;-)

Old 01-08-2015, 08:52 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
The problem has multiple causes and it is a shame that Porsche let that slip through their Quality Assurance checking.

1) First you need to have a beefy battery. The original or Porsche battery is worth nothing and should be replaced with after market batteries.

2) The infamous cable... Not all 2006 models were equipped with the infamous cable. Before going through the process of replacing it (which I have described in great details in a previous thread), crawl under the car and see if you can read the part number of the cable (usually a sticker near the gearbox). If it matches what Porsche is selling as a replacement cable (about $100), then I would not bother changing it. If you need to replace it then take a look at this DIY: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tor-cable.html. It is not that easy to do.

3) The starter.... Another infamous Bosch part that creeps into the Porsche engine. Symptoms are obvious: it will not start the engine when hot. A replacement starter can be obtained for $140 (from O'Reilly) and the swapping of the starter is much easier than the cable. How do I know? I did both. I just swapped my starter over the Christmas holidays and will describe the process shortly. There is an excellent DIY at http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...l#post11514446 and I managed to do it relatively easily with one modification to the thread: I moved slightly the alternator to pass the extensions to the E-14 sockets to reach the two bolts holding the starter.

Good luck.
Yves

Last edited by yvesvidal; 01-08-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 AM
shyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond repute
The bad starter cable is the one that damages the starter motor I think. I got the cable replaced at an Indy shop, and it cost me ~$800. The actual part is $70 or so.

I have read about using a voltmeter and checking if its the cable that's faulty. Quick search in the forums should do

Old 01-08-2015, 11:08 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Had a similar problem with hard starts after the car had been driven for a while. I had the starter cable checked by an Indy shop and the dealer as that is most often the cause. Both the Indy and dealer said the cable was fine. Turned out to be the starter itself. Since I had it replaced in November everything has been fine. I dont remember exactly what I paid but I think it was about $1,000.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:40 AM
150shot is on a distinguished road
I think suncoast sells an upgraded cable part that is much better.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:48 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 150shot
I think suncoast sells an upgraded cable part that is much better.
The part that Suncoast sells, is the official Porsche part. I got mine from them and it is the current cable installed on 997.1 cars. It is cheap though ($100) for a Porsche part, proving that they have a problem and intend to make up for it.

Yves

Last edited by yvesvidal; 01-08-2015 at 12:52 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alternator Cable Problem?