997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

track tires or suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:03 PM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
track tires or suspension

How much more improvement can you get out of a 4S on a track (road coarse) by either upgrading suspension from stock OR upgrading tires to track tires?

What is the best mod for improving handling?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
I find that when I'm following a car and I'm really impressed at their pace they are running r-compound tires. I've ridden in a spec-Miata with track tires and could not believe the grip.

I also understand that there is a decent amount to learn when transitioning to track tires.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:01 AM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
The stickier the tyre the more wear on everything else. I'd upgrade to a high performance road tyre (MPSS) and the TPC DSC module before semi slicks. Depends on your skill level though.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:53 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I previously owned a 06 C4s that I tracked a ton. I installed the Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers along with H&R sways and I stayed with the 997.1 GT3's all day long on Pilot Super Sports. AWE Tuning always has the best price on the Coilovers, something around $2,750 or so, sways run another $600 give or take. Talk to Alex over there and he'll treat your right. A cheaper route would be the TPC DSC module and sway bars.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:56 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Don
I find that when I'm following a car and I'm really impressed at their pace they are running r-compound tires. I've ridden in a spec-Miata with track tires and could not believe the grip.

I also understand that there is a decent amount to learn when transitioning to track tires.

A note on running R Compound tires. If you have a 997.1 C4s, I'd highly recommend not using R compound tires because of the risk of Oil Starvation due to the drastic increase in lateral G's. 997.2 does not pose this risk because of the revised engine.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by nzskater
The stickier the tyre the more wear on everything else. I'd upgrade to a high performance road tyre (MPSS) and the TPC DSC module before semi slicks. Depends on your skill level though.
My skill level is NOOB. I'm running MPSS and they squel great. Was looking for a more planted feel.

What is the TPC DSC module? Went to website and searched for 2007 Carrera 4S and found forced induction setup, 4 supsension set-ups, two drivetrain and brake upgrades.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by White Rock
A note on running R Compound tires. If you have a 997.1 C4s, I'd highly recommend not using R compound tires because of the risk of Oil Starvation due to the drastic increase in lateral G's. 997.2 does not pose this risk because of the revised engine.
Okay, so tires would require deep oil sump upgrade/mod too?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 AM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by soccerTOOLsu
My skill level is NOOB. I'm running MPSS and they squel great. Was looking for a more planted feel. What is the TPC DSC module? Went to website and searched for 2007 Carrera 4S and found forced induction setup, 4 supsension set-ups, two drivetrain and brake upgrades.
DSC : https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...on-system.html

Old 01-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by soccerTOOLsu
Okay, so tires would require deep oil sump upgrade/mod too?

You shouldn't have a problem with the Sport Cups or Dunlop sport maxx race tires, just mainly the R comps. Either way, the larger oil pan is a relatively cheap investment if you plan on doing a lot of track time.

Looks like suncoast has it for $595.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ra_S_EngineOIL

If your local track is relatively flat and doesn't have a lot of off camber turns, you shouldn't have anything to worry about as far as oil starvation.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Avoid R Comps as long as you can. Although they have more grip, they also gove less warning and give way less gradually at the limits. They kind of grip like mad until they don't. Lear to drive the snot out street tires. MPSS are not good on the track after a Noob level. They build up heat and pressure and get slippery quick. I'm running them but am ready to move on and have heard great things about the AD08 R's.

The additional grip will also stress the suspension more and that will also increase oil sloshing to the sides which will effect pressures. More of a big deal on .1 cars.