997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is it Bose or Not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:46 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by woodguy
Where are they located - are any hidden?
3 in the dash top - left, right and center - total 3
2 in each door (in one enclosure) - total 4
2 in each rear side panel (in one enclosure) - total 4
2 in the subwoofer - total 2

Old 03-20-2015, 05:47 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Where did you get that list? Doesn't look like an official options list. Virtually every 997 outside of Germany was equipped with bose.
My 2012 GTS was spec'd without Bose...but you're probably correct, not many without that option.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:53 PM
woodguy is on a distinguished road
The list came from decoding the VIN, but it agrees with what the dealer had shown when the car was offered foe sale

I count 4 speakers in the doors, 2 in the rear plus the subwoofer. There must be a couple of tweeters up front, but it was dark out there in the garage. Still I don't think I missed 6 speakers. Most likely there are 9 total unless the others are hidden.

The car is a Canadian Car, not a later import from the US if that matters.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:07 PM
The list came from decoding the VIN, but it agrees with what the dealer had shown when the car was offered foe sale

I count 4 speakers in the doors, 2 in the rear plus the subwoofer. There must be a couple of tweeters up front, but it was dark out there in the garage. Still I don't think I missed 6 speakers. Most likely there are 9 total unless the others are hidden.

The car is a Canadian Car, not a later import from the US if that matters.
Maybe this will help. This is the Sound Package Plus:

Loudspeakers
• Dashboard:
2x 0.75 in high-frequency
loudspeakers
1x 2.76 in mid-frequency
loudspeaker
• Door:
2x 3.94 in mid-frequency
loudspeakers
2x 7.87 in low-frequency
speakers
• Rear:
2x 3.94 in mid-range
loudspeakers

This is the Bose High End Sound Package:

Loudspeakers
• Dashboard:
2x 0.19 in neodym
high-frequency loudspeakers
(“soft-dome spherical cap”)
1x 2.76 in neodym
mid-frequency loudspeaker
• Door:
2x 3.15 in neodym
mid-frequency loudspeaker
2x 7.87 in neodym
low-frequency loudspeakers
• Rear:
2x 0.19 in neodym
high-frequency loudspeakers
(“soft-dome spherical cap”)
2x 3.15 in neodym
mid-frequency loudspeakers
• Rear shelf:
1x active subwoofer
with 2x 5.12 in low-frequency
loudspeakers
(bass reflex system)

Old 03-20-2015, 06:11 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
That makes it very hard to tell. The Bose tag on the door should be the simple give away! It looks like you would need to pull off the rear speaker cover, which will show a two way set up and a single speaker if it isn't bose. I believe you will also find the Bose amp in the frunk.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:36 PM
I had a better look and I have 10 speaker locations counting the sub. According to one page I found, the Bose system in the 911 has 12 speakers including the sub, but the diagram they show seems to indicate that the rear grills may conceal a 2 way concentric unit - so I've found 12 speakers.

Unless this speaker combination was used with different electronics, It's a Bose surround system.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 PM
I had a better look and I have 10 speaker locations counting the sub. According to one page I found, the Bose system in the 911 has 12 speakers including the sub, but the diagram they show seems to indicate that the rear grills may conceal a 2 way concentric unit - so I've found 12 speakers.

Unless this speaker combination was used with different electronics, It's a Bose surround system.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.
You have 13 since the sub actually counts as 2 - it has 2 - 5.12 speakers in the enclosure.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM
I can't find the reference at the moment but I remember reading that the sub has 2 drivers in it. Still:

http://www.porsche.com/specials/en-u...-systems/bose/

says:

The BOSE® Surround Sound System in the 911 has 8 amplifier channels and 12 speakers including a 100 Watt active subwoofer, which make for a balanced acoustic pattern. Combined power: 445 W. Now also available for all other Porsche models.

At this point I'm happy to start on the next problem, which is how to make it sound better. It has a ways to go.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:30 PM
I can't find the reference at the moment but I remember reading that the sub has 2 drivers in it. Still:

http://www.porsche.com/specials/en-u...-systems/bose/

says:

The BOSE® Surround Sound System in the 911 has 8 amplifier channels and 12 speakers including a 100 Watt active subwoofer, which make for a balanced acoustic pattern. Combined power: 445 W. Now also available for all other Porsche models.

At this point I'm happy to start on the next problem, which is how to make it sound better. It has a ways to go.
I think your link is for the 991...997 literature references 13 speakers but as I said I think there are two speakers in the sub enclosure. Lots of posts on aftermarket replacements for Bose - the audiophiles have found some good alternatives for the Bose - good luck with your project.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:37 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Might be a one sided conversation - the car came from Montreal and my French is not that good.
No problem. Just look for the item "Merde" on the option list. That's French for Bose.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:58 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
the rear grills may conceal a 2 way concentric unit - so I've found 12 speakers.
If you pop off the covers with a trim tool, you'll find the Bose rear panel speakers are actually separates, a tweeter and a 3" midrange. They aren't concentric.

Check out my budge audio install for tips on how to improve your sound significantly at very reasonable cost.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:17 PM
I read the budget audio upgrade thread. If I were to go that way it would be a pro installer doing it - it scared the crap out of me to be truthful. More expense, but I wouldn't be breaking things while twisting myself into a pretzel inside the car.

Very informative thread though - thanks for posting it.