997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OEM windshield replacement LI, NY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Jpara98 is on a distinguished road
OEM windshield replacement LI, NY

Any Long Island members get their windshield replaced? I've heard good and bad about. Safelite. Seems as though getting OEM glass is do-able, just need a few recommendations for the work.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:40 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
SafeLite can do a good job but they didn't re-connect the antenna. I checked with three dealers and they recommended Safelite.

Good luck

Old 05-03-2015, 11:28 AM
richard181 will become famous soon enough
Arter Martino Auto Concepts in Glen Cove ruined mine I went to Porsche Huntington Factory glass and Porsche sealant.

They bring in glass tech for installation so its done right.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:29 AM
Blue Chip is on a distinguished road
Not on Long Island - but my dealer also recco'd Safelite. I used them and they did a fantastic job. OEM glass too. One thing to check - once you get the car back immediately drive it somewhere at speed to see if it has the correct seal - mine had wind noise right out of the gate - took it back to them and they fixed the issue.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
With Safelite you can get a good or bad guy. I spoke to Geico and expressed my desire to have it done on my driveway under my watch. When the safelite called to schedule I let them know I would rather wait for their most experienced tech and that I am particular with my car.

They sent 2 guys, they did good work, no issues no leaks. It was on my DD not my Pcar.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:21 AM
juank20 will become famous soon enoughjuank20 will become famous soon enough
I used to work for Safelite back in the day. I was there for 3 years. Make sure you request OEM glass or most likely they'll install something aftermarket. Also, most dealers do not replace windshields. They'll supply the glass but they'll call a company like safelite to do the install. Just because you drop your car off at the dealer, doesn't mean the dealer is doing the work. I used to go to dealers to replace glass all the time.

Also, it's a hit or miss with the tech. There are some really good techs but i've also seen some not so good jobs. But i'm pretty positive they wouldn't send a rookie to work on a Porsche. Usually they assign these type of cars to the guys with like 10+ years experience.

The great thing about Safelite is that there is a lifetime warranty on their work. Even 5 years down the road if you have any issues (wind noise, leaks) they'll go back and fix it.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:28 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
I used Porsche of Huntintgton to replace mine. Twice.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Not on LI but Safelite replaced my windshield and did a REAL BAD job. The put the seal in incorrectly and there were visible gaps around the outside. Complained to insurance company and then got recommendation from Porsche dealer and had their person install, and that person was the one who pointed out the seal and other issues that were not visible to me. I'll never take my cars to Safelite.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Let the dealer do it. Huntington would be fine if a bit $$$. What else is new?

Old 05-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Let the dealer do it. Huntington would be fine if a bit $$$. What else is new?
Thanks all for the info. I cancelled Safelite and called Huntington and Southhampton Porsche. They both use and recommend Atlantic Autoglass, so I called them directly and will let you know how it goes. I have Geico no deductible glass coverage; aftermarket is no cost and factory glass is an additional $400 after Geico's usual and customary rates.

In 3 cars I've replaced windshields 4 times in the last 3 years. I hate driving on the LIE, particularly when people cross the HOV divider and kick up rocks. In light of this I suspect I will likely replace the windshield again in the future and I am considering aftermarket glass for now. I'll let u all know how it goes.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:10 AM
juank20 will become famous soon enoughjuank20 will become famous soon enough
Just please be sure they don't give you XYG or FYG brand glass. Those are low quality chinese brands. They are inexpensive but they never fit right and tend to crack easier.

Brands like PPG and Pilkington are good alternatives. They are high quality aftermarket glass with OE-like fitment.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:26 PM
Wanted to follow up with a review. In short Atlantic Auto Glass did a great job. Straight, clean and no wind noise or leaks. I decided on aftermarket glass but insisted on PPG or Pilkington. Atlantic agreed but first showed with a cheap FYG glass. You could actually see the poor quality of the glass. I didn't allow them to install it and the office immediately called to apologize and tell me that they were reordering Pilkington.

It turned out that they were having trouble getting Pilkington or PPG, so they ordered a OEM factory glass for me at no charge.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:05 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jpara98
Wanted to follow up with a review. In short Atlantic Auto Glass did a great job. Straight, clean and no wind noise or leaks. I decided on aftermarket glass but insisted on PPG or Pilkington. Atlantic agreed but first showed with a cheap FYG glass. You could actually see the poor quality of the glass. I didn't allow them to install it and the office immediately called to apologize and tell me that they were reordering Pilkington.

It turned out that they were having trouble getting Pilkington or PPG, so they ordered a OEM factory glass for me at no charge.

Be more impressive if they did that in first place, No?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:28 AM
Not really. I went to insurance as I have full glass coverage w/ no deductible. However the usual customary rates are about $400 lower than an OEM windshield replacement. Since the car is a driver and see the Long Island Expressway frequently I opted for aftermarket glass to save $400. I typically replace windshields in my cars every 2 to 3 years.

So, I had specified the brand of aftermarket glass, after I had a four-way call Geico, Atlantic auto glass and Huntington Porsche. I feel Atlantic went above and beyond and got me the OEM glass because it was quicker and fit better. I think Atlantic was trying to please a picky customer and knew that the OEM glass would fit better and be a cleaner install.

Windshield aside, they did a neat and clean install the first time.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Not trying to bash these guys.

I thought what you said was that you had specified what glass you wanted but they brought cheap product instead. And If you had not caught it they would have installed a crappy windshield. Maybe it's my reading comprehension again. Or maybe what you thought you said was not what you meant to say. Or maybe what you meant to say was not what what really happened.

Imo they should have called you and said "we can't get what you ordered how do you want to go from here". Or if the call had been "we can't get xyz glass so we are upgrading at no expense to you .....whatever.

I have glass coverage. When after 4 years I did my w'shld I took the car to Huntington. They had the job done. Initially my Ins Co. told me I would have to pay 200 out of pocket to get oem glass. Ultimately they just picked up the tab.

Alls well that ends well. Glad you are happy w the result. Your vigilance obviously paid off. I have had a whistling windshield. No fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM windshield replacement LI, NY