997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2008 Carerra with 30-40K miles, what would I be getting myself into?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 AM
dualexhaust is on a distinguished road
2008 Carerra with 30-40K miles, what would I be getting myself into?

Hi,

Casually looking at autotrader/kijiji I can see for about 40K USD I can pickup a 2007/8 Carerra with about 30K miles on it.

For example: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Step #1 Get the car properly evaluated by a reputable mechanic
Step #2 Ask locals on a trust shop etc.

Just trying to get an understanding, other than the initial cost of the car, depreciation, what would my expected running costs be?

1. If I drive about 12K miles per year, I should expect to change the tires which will cost 1.8K / year.

2. oil changes

I'm more concerned about things like timing belts, valves, tuneups, etc.

I'm not planning on tracking the car, or driving it very hard or burnouts or anything silly like that.

Should I figure 2-3K per year (other than tires/oil) in incidentals? I would just be scared off if I would likely see bills of 5K or 7K.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Depreciation is going to be very minimum on a 07. $47K seems pretty high for a non S model.

Oil changes every year is about $135 at an Indy (These are all Colorado prices, YMMV)

Brake flush, every other year ($135)

Since it already has 30K miles, I assume it already has it major service which is 20K miles and runs about $600 at an indy.

997's are extremely reliable, parts don't normally needs to be changed until it gets to a lot higher mileage.

Things I've got done is RMS leak ($1,200) at my dealer, covered by CPO warranty. My 997 was parked for 3 months before I brought it. The rear main seal dried up and started to leak.

Premature tie rods, cost $600 at an indy, did some research and there was a batch of defective tie rods that had premature wear, had mine changed out at 23K miles. Had mine for nearly 5 years, no signs of anything breaking.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:17 AM
gonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the rough
if done at dealer, oil change + tax and little things were about $600 for me at dealer. (montreal price should be similar to toronto I guess)
I did the major maintenance (every 4 years) and it set me back 2k (front tire changed at that price) at dealer again.
car under CPO, so did everything at dealer.

rear tires goes out quick. every 2 years for me. they are $550 each in canada.

I doubt you will get higher than 2k a year in maintenance. my experience was more in the $1k a year on average

c2s, 06, cab.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Oh to keep the CPO you have to do it at the dealer you mean? You didn't actually have any work that was covered in the CPO right?

Not bad! But it could also be bad if I end up with a tracked car or abused etc. ...

Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 AM
gonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dualexhaust
Oh to keep the CPO you have to do it at the dealer you mean? You didn't actually have any work that was covered in the CPO right?

Not bad! But it could also be bad if I end up with a tracked car or abused etc. ...

yes I had work done Under CPO. maybe 3k Worth of stuff, where only 1.5k was really needed IMO. (they change my wheels bolt Under CPO ($275) because the mecanic feel it was nicer to have black bolt with my wheels. he blame it on rust on bolts... lol)

personaly, when I have a car covered by manufacturer warranty, I always go at dealer for maintenance. (except tires)
no need to show proof of maintenance or other stuff if something goes bad with the car
and it helps in case you need good-will from dealer...

get a PPI by your local porsche dealer and check for CPE report. it will give you over-rev engine report. help knowing if car have been badly driven.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:44 AM
How do they do a over-rev report, is it all computer based?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:46 AM
porsche dealer can generate it for you. yes it's in the computer of the car
I believe it's called a CPE report.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:23 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Biggest expense I have had with a '08 Carrera S is tires. I put around 13K miles a year on the car, and they are not easy by any means, and have ~64K on the speedo at this time.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Strange, it seems a BMW M3 has more annual issues to deal with, or are you guys just being nice?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
Oil change annually cost $250 at dealer. Brake fluid flush bi-annual $300, tires wear tear items, brake wear and tear item base on how much mileage you used. I was BMW fanboy and after multiple issues with fuel pump and minor electronics items, it was PITA and more costly than my 911 Turbo. Never look back again.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
Oil change annually cost $250 at dealer. Brake fluid flush bi-annual $300, tires wear tear items, brake wear and tear item base on how much mileage you used. I was BMW fanboy and after multiple issues with fuel pump and minor electronics items, it was PITA and more costly than my 911 Turbo. Never look back again.
That is pretty mind blowing if you think about it. The perception at least is the opposite i.e. Porsche would have more issues than a M3 (all things being equal like how you drive etc.)

Old 05-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ynot
997's are extremely reliable, parts don't normally needs to be changed until it gets to a lot higher mileage.
What is considered 'higher' mileage, and what things need to be changed at that point?

Old 05-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
DIY can help with costs of repairs/maintenance as well. We have a great amount of tech articles that may help you out with the new purchase. Good luck!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dualexhaust
Strange, it seems a BMW M3 has more annual issues to deal with, or are you guys just being nice?
I think they're just being nice. Am I the only one who goes through brake pads and rotors? I'd budget at least a couple of thousand a year (USD) for front brakes and rear tires alone,each of which is consumed pretty quickly. Mine is also an 08, which is when all of the tire pressure monitors start conking out. I am not one to change oil every 500 miles, but even at 10,000 miles, there's always something else for my Indy to look into. Switches fail, seals dry out, life happens. As others have stated, these cars are very reliable, but they cost a helluva lot more to maintain than a new Honda. For me, the extra hassle and cost is worth it, but you need to be ready for it.

And then there's the mod budget . . .

Old 05-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !
Your getting into lots of trouble.....and wait till you hit 106,000 miles!!!' Pure junk!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	420002  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 Carerra with 30-40K miles, what would I be getting myself into?