997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buyers checklist for a 10 year old 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:34 AM
dualexhaust is on a distinguished road
Buyers checklist for a 10 year old 911

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a 2005 911, and was hoping if some of the veterans on this forum could help me with a "checklist" of things to ask for and look into.

1. inspection by a reputable dealer
2. car proof
3. service records - look for regular oil changes (what else??) from a dealer or good indy shop

What really else is there that I should be looking for?

If the engine was replaced under warranty, is that a bad sign or should be fine? (dealer replaced)

Old 05-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Nastee_C4S is on a distinguished road
brake flush,major/minor maintenance done. up to date on any recalls. about all I can think of

Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Rear Main Seal (RMS) leaks. If budget allows, I would go for a 2006 model to be safer on the IMS/RMS issues. Prices should be really close. To me, a fantastic looking interior is a "good" sign that the car was respected by an enthusiast. Not always true, but a good sign.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Alleykat is on a distinguished road
Somewhat related-

By Ferrari standards a 360 modena,even if it's a 99-2000 model, is "high mileage" if it's over 15k miles.

What is considered normal for a 05/06 911 and what is completely undesirable? 100k?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
If the engine had been replaced under warranty, and the new engine had the newer IMS bearings, it would be a very good sign. Also, check for over revs, which should be part of a PPI. Verify that major service is up to date with actual receipts. Kick the tires.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alleykat
Somewhat related-

By Ferrari standards a 360 modena,even if it's a 99-2000 model, is "high mileage" if it's over 15k miles.

What is considered normal for a 05/06 911 and what is completely undesirable? 100k?

5-7 k miles per year is considered " normal mileage " for a Porsche 911. Older cars tend toward the lower end of the normal range. High mileage cars are typically highway drivers and can often have less engine wear than lower mileage weekend cars. There are many factors beyond mileage that impact "condition" and/or "value" of an used automobile. PPI should always be performed on any used Porsche to aid in determining the "condition" of the car. Service records tell the rest of the story.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:47 AM
986WANG is on a distinguished road
Get the Direct Oil Feed Kit from Turners Motorsport. $800 part that will make your engine bullet proof. Replace the water pump and clutch while you are at it.
2005 997 is a great year to buy. Replace the old IMS bearing and install the direct oil feed kit. Make this a more robust vehicle than the 2006-2008 997 (can't replace the IMS bearing without taking apart the engine).

http://tunersmotorsports.com/?page_id=103

The perfect 997 would be 2009-2013, IF you want to save money 2005 997 is the only year where you can still replace the IMS bearing easily, install a direct oil feed kit and bullet proof the entire engine.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:54 PM
dualexhaust is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by White Rock
Rear Main Seal (RMS) leaks. If budget allows, I would go for a 2006 model to be safer on the IMS/RMS issues. Prices should be really close. To me, a fantastic looking interior is a "good" sign that the car was respected by an enthusiast. Not always true, but a good sign.
Are you implying that the IMS/RMS issue exists in 2006+ engines, but it is less of an issue? Or get a 2006 b/c that particular issue was resolved?

For those that get the engine replaced, what is the model# of the engine that HAS the issue and the model # of the engine that has the fix?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dualexhaust
Are you implying that the IMS/RMS issue exists in 2006+ engines, but it is less of an issue? Or get a 2006 b/c that particular issue was resolved?

For those that get the engine replaced, what is the model# of the engine that HAS the issue and the model # of the engine that has the fix?
RMS is likely to happen if you park your car for an extended period of time. Mine dried up and leak when it was parked at a dealer's lot for about three months time before I purchased it. You probably know this, I sure hope you do your homework before looking into buying a 997. The 2005 models were part of a class action suit for the IMS issue. The 2006 isn't, it has the bigger bearing and less prone to failures. MY2006+ failures are minimum so that is why it's recommended.

Make sure you have the service records, a 10 year old car will require a lot of wear and tear items replaced, depending on miles. You can potentially have to replace. Tires, AOS, starter, battery, alternator cable, belts, plugs, tie rods, brake pads are only a few things that comes to mind. Don't forget your oil/filter change and brake flush. Don't forget this was a six figure car and maintenance reflects this so you are not going to get your $30 oil changes and $80 flushes. Don't let me scare you, it's still cheap to maintenance, just asked the Ferrari guys.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Read about the IMS Bearing Replacement here. Read up on the basic maintenance needs here.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-24-2015, 12:27 AM
jhhwang1982 is on a distinguished road
Where can we do IMS replacement in Orange County ca? Thanks