997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Smog Nightmare and Issues - help appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:39 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I believe in CA smog components are required to be covered by warranty for either 100 or 150K miles. That should be in your warranty booklet somewhere.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cairo94507
I believe in CA smog components are required to be covered by warranty for either 100 or 150K miles. That should be in your warranty booklet somewhere.
I doubt the emissions warranty will cover modified components.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tony42
Bumping this old thread, I've got the exact same issue for months and can't pass smog
The smog test is all green besides an "EGR and/or VVT not ready" status. Car is an 09 997.2 with PSE, center bypass, and EVOMSit ECU.
There was an issue with the PSE vacuum _exactly_ as described by this guy with a P1094 code thrown http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...078-b2aaa.html
The vacuum leak was fixed, and everything checks out according to my mechanic, though I still have P1094 listed as "permanent code", but no confirmed / pending code when running the smog test, so I'm assuming this code is just remnant and should not interfere, or does permanent code need to be cleared too??

My mechanic thinks at this point it's just a matter of driving car long enough after fixing the vacuum. I've tried to do the proper drive cycle 4 times to no avail. He strongly believes it's an issue with the CATs not getting hot enough for the status to become ready, and next step would be to add heat wrap to them. I trust him but I havent seen any mention of heat wrapping to pass smog in forums.

I've had other opinions, ranging from:
- ECU problem, there is no EGR on car, you need to flash it back to stock. I'm surprised because EVOMSit is most common (those guys give awesome support btw).
- O2 sensor is not working well (but it's been checked, though not replaced)
- Mass air flow sensor problem or intake has leak (but it's been checked too)
- Someone told me if the Leak Detection Module is faulty it could throw a wrench in cycle

vg247, were you following any specific pattern to eventually get your car to go green, e.g. stay under 3000rpm and 60mph for hours??
Thanks folks, I'm going nuts with this.
Permanent code is a code that can only be cleared by the DME after so many warm up cycles with the triggering problem no longer present.

I can't believe all the trouble owners are having getting the readiness monitors to complete. Maybe the mod's affect the procedure?

One mistake that owners make is to believe the car needs to be subjected to an "Italian tuneup" drive cycle. This won't work as if the acceleration is too hard the DME suspends monitoring the converter performance which interrupts the readiness monitor test progress.

I don't believe keeping the engine under 3K is necessary either but I have no experience with the newer cars. But both my 2002 Boxster and my 2003 Turbo can have an error code erased to extinguish the CEL and after a 30 mile drive to the office - a mix of surface street driving, freeway driving, ending with some surface street driving -- have all the readiness monitors set to complete.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Macster
Permanent code is a code that can only be cleared by the DME after so many warm up cycles with the triggering problem no longer present.

I can't believe all the trouble owners are having getting the readiness monitors to complete. Maybe the mod's affect the procedure?

One mistake that owners make is to believe the car needs to be subjected to an "Italian tuneup" drive cycle. This won't work as if the acceleration is too hard the DME suspends monitoring the converter performance which interrupts the readiness monitor test progress.

I don't believe keeping the engine under 3K is necessary either but I have no experience with the newer cars. But both my 2002 Boxster and my 2003 Turbo can have an error code erased to extinguish the CEL and after a 30 mile drive to the office - a mix of surface street driving, freeway driving, ending with some surface street driving -- have all the readiness monitors set to complete.
The drive cycle is a mystery - I tried for the longest time to get my 2004 996 monitors to read "ready" and it never happened until I religiously performed the drive cycle keeping rpm's below 3000 and mph below 60.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:16 AM
kcheves is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cairo94507
California Emission Warranty is 7/70. PZEV vehicles are warranted for 15/150.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tony42
Bumping this old thread, I've got the exact same issue for months and can't pass smog
The smog test is all green besides an "EGR and/or VVT not ready" status. Car is an 09 997.2 with PSE, center bypass, and EVOMSit ECU.
There was an issue with the PSE vacuum _exactly_ as described by this guy with a P1094 code thrown http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...078-b2aaa.html
The vacuum leak was fixed, and everything checks out according to my mechanic, though I still have P1094 listed as "permanent code", but no confirmed / pending code when running the smog test, so I'm assuming this code is just remnant and should not interfere, or does permanent code need to be cleared too??

My mechanic thinks at this point it's just a matter of driving car long enough after fixing the vacuum. I've tried to do the proper drive cycle 4 times to no avail. He strongly believes it's an issue with the CATs not getting hot enough for the status to become ready, and next step would be to add heat wrap to them. I trust him but I havent seen any mention of heat wrapping to pass smog in forums.

I've had other opinions, ranging from:
- ECU problem, there is no EGR on car, you need to flash it back to stock. I'm surprised because EVOMSit is most common (those guys give awesome support btw).
- O2 sensor is not working well (but it's been checked, though not replaced)
- Mass air flow sensor problem or intake has leak (but it's been checked too)
- Someone told me if the Leak Detection Module is faulty it could throw a wrench in cycle

vg247, were you following any specific pattern to eventually get your car to go green, e.g. stay under 3000rpm and 60mph for hours??
Thanks folks, I'm going nuts with this.
Tony - good talking with you and hope my feedback helps. Please keep us updated and feel free to contact me again for additional questions/assistance anytime.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:27 PM
Kyle Urbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Catalyst not calibrated

Originally Posted by vg247
Tony, we are local ...please pm me after April 14th once I'm home and I will try to help you out with some feedback base on what I had gone through with troubleshooting when this occurred.
I know this is old, but I could really use your help. My car was at Porsche Marin for 6 week (that’s crazy) and then I drove 1000 miles in a weekend and still can’t pass. Any suggestions or help finding a place that can be of more help in the Bay Area would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by Kyle Urbs
I know this is old, but I could really use your help. My car was at Porsche Marin for 6 week (that’s crazy) and then I drove 1000 miles in a weekend and still can’t pass. Any suggestions or help finding a place that can be of more help in the Bay Area would be greatly appreciated.
It would help if you told us why can't pass.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:06 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
i believe all the machines are the same, they can lose their smog license for tinkering to ,make it pass, U may have a O2sensor bad, my last POR a mouse had eaten the wiring going to sensor..

Old 09-12-2019, 03:17 PM
tony42 is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess I never answered this thread. After months of uncertainty, back and forth to mechanics (including $$$$ exhaust wrapping and other tweaks supposed to fix issue), several crazy 4AM wake up to do that stupid cycle to the T on the freeway to no avail... I finally had the ECU reflashed to stock. This was an EvoMS ECU and thankfully they still had the original image. Well all the system fault disappeared within a mile! And SMOG was passed with no issues.

In the end the ECU flashing gave me nothing but huge trouble. Over $1200 for the flashing, gave very little performance change, then thousands spent and lots of time burnt trying to figure out issue. Oh I forgot to mention that you have to ship your ECU to them, which blocks your car for days... then when receiving it, wouldn't work, car was down for more days... and if ECU ever gets lost or damaged on the way, it's apparently extremely expensive (I've heard up to $5000) to get original back from Porsche. Most of the time and money wasted was because EvoMS ABSOLUTELY DENIED my issue could be due to flash, so I was sent on wild goose chase. After all this, EvoMS still refused to give me my money back. This is *not* a good business.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Readout

Tony,

i think you might have the solution. I bought the car with a crazy header and exhaust and had it all taken off to put on stock because I live in the city with very close neighbors in San Francisco. I was hoping to avoid having smog problems as well. I will have the ECU reset and hopefully it works!

When I go to any star certified smog shop I pass everything except it says catalyst not ready/ won’t calibrate. They told me to drive and do drive cycles to get it to calibrate but that isn’t going to be the solution as I’ve done all I can regarding that.

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It would help if you told us why can't pass.

Last edited by Kyle Urbs; 09-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:08 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Tony,

i think you might have the solution. I bought the car with a crazy header and exhaust and had it all taken off to put on stock because I live in the city with very close neighbors in San Francisco. I was hoping to avoid having smog problems as well. I will have the ECU reset and hopefully it works!

When I go to any star certified smog shop I pass everything except it says catalyst not ready/ won’t calibrate. They told me to drive and do drive cycles to get it to calibrate but that isn’t going to be the solution as I’ve done all I can regarding that.
Did this get worked out for you okay?

Basically flash back your OEM tune, drive at various speeds (similar to drive cycle procedure) ; all the readiness should be okay for your shop to smog and pass.

once done, reflash back your sports tune ..

Old 10-02-2019, 01:48 PM
It worked!

The dealer flashed it back to stock and only drove it a few miles and I was good to go. I think I will just leave it unless I ever move out of california. It’s only going to get worse. Thank you everyone that helped!
Originally Posted by vg247
Did this get worked out for you okay?

Basically flash back your OEM tune, drive at various speeds (similar to drive cycle procedure) ; all the readiness should be okay for your shop to smog and pass.

once done, reflash back your sports tune ..