997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CONFLICTED: trade my E46 M3 for 997.1S?? Head-to-head comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Bruse Wayne is just really niceBruse Wayne is just really niceBruse Wayne is just really niceBruse Wayne is just really niceBruse Wayne is just really nice
After about 8 years in a E46 M, I made the move last year into 997s......

I don't miss my M3 much

Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
If you want to drive a couch, keep your m3. If you want a proper sports car, there is no substitute.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I have posted too much about this to want to do it again. Search. Bottom line: there is no comparison between these two cars either as daily driver or track tool. Anyone who cannot grasp the superiority of the 997 after the first 30 secs should save their money and invest in a different hobby. Sorry op but sometimes love does not really stand up to close scrutiny. Keep your car, stay with your fellow M3 board members and be happy. That is what it is about, no?

Last edited by Gpjli; 09-04-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 PM
jhhwang1982 is on a distinguished road
Based on what I had before...

997.1 S > m6 > m3

Like someone said once you are in porsche you are never going back... Lol...

Old 09-05-2015, 08:28 AM
phily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura about
Honestly, if you can keep the e46 m3, I would. They are only going up in value. If I had to pick one I would go 997 all day.

I am in the market for an e46 M3, 6 speed. Let me know if you end up posting for it for sale.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:37 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Old 09-05-2015, 12:39 PM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
I considered an E90/92 M3 before going with a 997... E46 M3 was the same era as the 997.1's but not the same performance bracket and much lower in the purchase price bracket (they're a great performance value; make no mistake on that!). In the end I wanted a purer sports car since I already have a full size V8 people hauler. I also don't love most BMW interiors; too drab/unimaginative IMO.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:26 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I moved from an E46 M3 to an '07 997S. How do they compare?

The E46 was on coil overs to make it not look like a 4x4. It was too stiff, my friends and family hated the ride. Never touched the suspension on the 997. Went to the Porsche driving school and learned how to drive it.

Had to add a rasp terminator on the M3. Worst sounding exhaust on any car I've ever owned. Added a air box on the 997, sound from 4500 and up was awesome. Didn't even do exhaust and I've done exhaust on every car I've owned.

Had an SMG M3. What a POS. Had a manual E92, worst manual I've ever owned. Don't know about the E46. But the 997 had a perfect manual. Stiff clutch, but not too stiff. The feel was just right. The shifter was tight and precise. Heel and toe downshifting was a breeze. The e92 shifter was rubbery, the clutch WAY too light and the gas pedal way too sensitive. The BMW brakes were way too touchy. The Porsche brakes always have perfect feel. Very light action when you first touch them and then pull hard when you step on them. The E46 brakes are better??? Are you kidding? On the track??? 997S stock brakes will get you around lap after lap. The M3 brakes have always been crap. Total crap. A joke in fact. How many M3s get big brake kits? How many do you see on 997s or turbos? Hardly any.

The 997 has a completely different position. Excellent visibility, but much lower than an M3. The m3 is a 3 series BMW. The Porsche is a 911. The M3 is the most practical, fast, fun car you can get. I loved to put my bike in mine by putting the seats down. Can't do that with my turbo.

I still take both my kids in the back of my turbo. There is a little less room, but there is still enough. If you think your new family is going to enjoy the ride in a car with coil overs, you may want to think again.

Oh, FWIW, I went from the 997S to an E92M3. I've had the E36 as well. The E92 was a HUGE disappointment. Nice sound, but no torque whatsoever.

Anyway, I hope that is food for thought.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:05 PM
warzilla is on a distinguished road
Hi OP. I currently own/drive both cars. My e46 m3 has a similar build like yours and is a zcp. My 997.1 is stock.

On paper you may think they are the same but in reality a big difference - with all props going to the 911. You should drive a coupe/CS model to really get a better comparison (with sport chrono and PSE).

But if you feel it's a even match, keep the the e46. Still a great car. But no 997.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Feelgood MD is on a distinguished road
Excellent points all around, guys. I agree there is no substitute for a 911 which is why I'm shopping for my 2nd one!

However, I test drove another 997.1S this weekend (this one on H&R sports, Fabspeed exhaust, SSK) and had a similar reaction as before: power felt more-or-less equivalent to the M3 (despite the purported 0.3-0.5 second advantage to 60, etc). Handling, stance, tightness, and overall vibe was far superior. Brakes weren't as good...sorry, they just haven't been, at least in the ones I'm testing, and at least compared to race pads/ss lines/MPSS on my M3.

I think the power is really the issue (b/c I'll likely upgrade brakes and suspension anyway). If I'm gonna double/triple the cost of the car, part of me feels like it should be reasonably/noticeably faster. I wonder if I should be looking at a 997.2S instead of a 997.1S? But there have been tons of threads (yes, I've searched) that say the extra 30hp doesn't feel all that significant.

I know none of these are built to be dragsters, but for the sake of argument, the 997.1S would probably pull away from the M3 (although they actually don't on the track), and the 997.2S would probably kill it, and I'd likely turn faster lap times in either of them than my M3. But it's an odd feeling when your 12 year old, cheap car with 120k miles feels similarly fast to the car you really think you want.

Still conflicted. I'm sure I'll end up in another 911 soon, just not sure which one. Gonna try and test drive a 997.2S/4S next. And maybe just wait for the 997.1/.2TT's to drop in price a bit more...

Last edited by Feelgood MD; 01-17-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:35 AM
love2drive is on a distinguished road
A 997.2 GTS has an extra 23 hp over a C2S, add Sharkwerks exhaust.. takes it up another 10hp to 418hp, cuts 9lb from rear, and makes it sound even more special. The 997 GTS also has special trim, the wider rear, and is Porsche's last car with hydraulic steering. (attributes that make it special) just a suggestion.. i don't mention the gt3 because you need a car seat. Given the list of cars you've previously owned, may I also suggest that you might want to consider a used 2011/12 V8 Audi S5 with manual, or for new, the upcoming M2, or the Alfa Giulia Quadrofolio. Now those are some Stylish and Really high performing family friendly cars to choose from who are at least on par with an E46 M3.

Last edited by love2drive; 01-18-2016 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:37 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Dr. FeelGood,

Having gone from the E92 to a 997.2 TTS, I have loved every moment. Drivability, appearance, safety, reliability etc. However, the M3's DCT was always a winner compared to the 997's PDK, but this seems to have been rectified in later PDK variants.

Cheers,

Old 01-18-2016, 02:30 PM
warzilla is on a distinguished road
Based on your latest comments I don't think the 997 is for you. Either keep your E46 M3 (which seems like its tuned a bit for track duty) or go look at 997 TT for the added hp and tq. Don't waste your time, you're not feeling the 997.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
This is silly. A 997 will smoke an E46. .1 or .2 makes no matter. And the brakes? C'mon.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:27 PM
Can't believe OP is still stuck here. You just cannot compare the 2 cars and .1 or .2 has nothing to do with this. As I said a while back if you do not get the difference you should not proceed.

With all due respect I think you might ask yourself what is really bothering you. I'm not sure the answer is to be found on this forum. Good luck

Last edited by Gpjli; 01-20-2016 at 11:36 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CONFLICTED: trade my E46 M3 for 997.1S?? Head-to-head comparison