997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Seat covers... Who has them, what materials, recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Astur will become famous soon enough
Seat covers... Who has them, what materials, recommendations?

Weather wise living in the tropics is nice but year round intense sun with 75-90 degree temperatures and very high humidity make for sticky/sweaty seating in a car that's been out in the sun a while. This specially in a car with black interiors.

My first Porsche was a 1990 964-C4 Arena Red with black interiors and back then I "solved the problem" by installing fitted black sheepskin covers. I wasn't the prettiest thing to look at but after a while I sort of got used them and they became unnoticeable (at least to me). They did however solve the problem of being able to sit in a car that had been out in the sun for some time. It also solved the sweaty shirt and pant backs!

After having gone over to the "dark side" with MB and BMW for many years, back in May of this year I got a chance to pick up a pristine 2009 997.2 Carrera (non S) Guards Red, PDK, Sports Chrono, 15K miles and yes, black interiors!

I realize that most of you probably shun the use of seat covers but my climate, sitting and getting in and out of the car can really wreck havoc on the leather seats.

So although its been a while, I'm basically back to the same dilemma and was wondering what any of you guys have come up with as far as seat covers goes. Any recommendations or insight would be greatly appreciated... even if you don't use them!

Old 09-05-2015, 05:37 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
get a car cover if you park it outside & don't drive a lot. Seat cover look cheap & tacky. IMO. Congrats on the new ride btw, any pics ?

Old 09-05-2015, 09:26 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
First and foremost would be having windows tinted!

Old 09-06-2015, 12:00 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
The right "custom" sheepskin is still the best. They cost a lot but presentable and functional.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:46 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Caught a lot of heat here for installing Wet Okole seat covers on my '09 (ricer...surf ****, whatever). They are neoprene and can be ordered in a variety of solid and two-tone styles. I have black with red inserts in my Guards Red Porsche and I personally like them. They are almost 6 years old and show no wear. They fit well as far as covers go, are durable, washable, and my seats look brand new with no creases or wear marks. Sheepskins are so 1980's.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:14 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
I bought the wet okole decades ago from Performance Products for my 83 SC Cab and I liked them. They still made me sweat.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:25 AM
carsnob is on a distinguished road
Tinted windows for sure. Folding the seat fwd in direct sun may help. I have used sheepskins for the freezing seats in the winter since seat heaters kick in slowly after you've already frozen your *** off. ( a concept you may have trouble understanding).
They are tacky and 80's - ish, and I don' care as it doesn't look all that bad...
If you plan on using them, try " shearComfort.com. They're in Vancouver Canada, and import from Uruguay then make them custom perfect fitted for Porsche seats. They talk about the benefits for summer use...You can always consider a lighter color which as a contrast will stand out, but if it's a Porsche, who cares as it's still looked at,as an awesome car, especially in PR.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:50 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Funny story about sheepskins. I purchased really expensive sheepskins for my 1994 964 cab, While living in CA, and in the end regretted getting the "real thing." After having the skins for some time I started to notice a smell, like that of a wet dog. What would happen is with the top down and the body perspiring from the heat the skins would absorb the perspiration and then transfer to my clothing. Bottom line, get really nice synthetic skins - IMHO!

Old 09-07-2015, 09:41 PM
carsnob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FlaHeel
Funny story about sheepskins. I purchased really expensive sheepskins for my 1994 964 cab, While living in CA, and in the end regretted getting the "real thing." After having the skins for some time I started to notice a smell, like that of a wet dog. What would happen is with the top down and the body perspiring from the heat the skins would absorb the perspiration and then transfer to my clothing. Bottom line, get really nice synthetic skins - IMHO!
Wow! would never have heard that story in the great white north!
How bout selling the car and getting one with lighter seats?
Of course the 991's have ventilated seat options -- even better...

Old 09-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Astur will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by FlaHeel
As mentioned in one of the posts, couldn't you just have them dry cleaned? I would presume that that would kill any bacteria or mold that may have accumulated over time.

I too had sheepskin covers on my 1990 964-C4 and never had any "odor" problems during all the years that I had the car. BTW, I live in the Caribbean where high temperatures and very high humidity are a fact of life.

The only thing that comes to mind is that mine was a coupe and yours a cabriolet. So my question would be that somehow/sometime might your covers have gotten wet when the top was down?

Old 09-08-2015, 12:50 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
I had the covers dry cleaned, and as soon as someone broke a sweat on their back the odor would begin.

I really do not remember the car getting wet when the top was down, since NoCal in the summer is cloudless from March/April to October, other than the wetness my back. Hint, the air conditioner was never used in that car, seriously, the top was always down.