Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Considering CGT, Couple Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 AM
raaspaza will become famous soon enough
Considering CGT, Couple Q's

Hey guys,

Long time admirer of the Bentley boards over here (I'm usually on the Porsche side), but I've been thinking about finally pulling the trigger and getting a Bentley.

I'm looking for a mid 2000s model (since those are within my price point right now).

1) How good is the room in the back seats? We have a Cayenne and a Q7 that we use to haul around when we're going as a family, but if I'm just taking the kids (9,11) will they fit back there okay?

2) I also have 3yo, does anyone know how well a stroller fits back there? (We have a Bugaboo so it's a pretty large stroller). And at that point, do you guys have any car seats in the back seats also?

I'm very mechanically inclined. I do all the service work on our 2004 Cayenne Turbo and maintain it meticulously. I've rebuilt numerous engines, replaced air suspension, transmissions, etc...which brings me to Q3...

3) Where do you guys recommend getting parts from? Is there ever a shortage of parts available? And what is the likelihood that the engine will need to be pulled to perform normal maintenance (02 sensor).

I've always wanted one, and right now it's between the B and a 997 Turbo. I know neither of them are considered "reliable" but I've never had an issue with any of my cars (except RX7's).

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:39 AM
donjuan1605 will become famous soon enoughdonjuan1605 will become famous soon enough
First of all, good luck in your search. As far as the questions go, the backseat is great on the Flying Spur, but not so much on the GT or GTC. A young child might be fine in the back seat of the GT or GTC but if they need much leg room the front seats have to start moving forward. The stroller may fit in the trunk depending on how well it folds up...that would be something to check for when shopping. Parts are difficult to find from normal sources. I have searched and searched for aftermarket replacements for spark plugs and air filters to no avail. Usually the dealership has what is needed, or it can be ordered from Bentley warehouses in Kentucky or Crewe.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:39 AM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
Welcome and good luck!

well, let's be realistic, the back seats are a joke! no adult can be comfortable in them but you can easily fit a child seat for your 3yo.
but if you're considering a 997, you will find the CGT back seats very, very comfortable and roomy.

the trunk is really huge for a coupé and I do believe that you will have no problem to fit a stroller.

the ''normal'' maintenance can be... surprising for the CGT. it goes from a simple oil change to... replacing the vacuum pump hose or the third brake light or a sagging head liner or....
be prepared to get some costly surprises.
as far as I know the only problem that needs the engine to be taken out is the vacuum pump hose replacement BUT is a very common disease on our cars.

I don't know about the US but, by experience, the best place to buy spare parts for a Bentley is :
sales@flyingspares.co.uk
they are very competent, very helpful and they can ship worldwide.

all in all the car is a real pleasure to drive IF you accept the fact that it's a GT and NOT a sport car. comparing a 997 to a CGT is comparing oranges to apples.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 AM
raaspaza will become famous soon enough
Thanks for responding guys. There's a 2007 GT Conv I'm going to take a look at tomorrow. Will have the stroller with me! I'm more interested in a coupe, but we'll see...

I know the 997 and the GT are two completely different cars, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the two, but...the fact that I can get a stroller and some luggage inside the GT might win me over...and the wife, for those weekend getaways when the kids are with the grandparents.

Depending on which one I get, I'll make sure the vacuum hoses were replaced.

Thanks for the input!

Old 08-28-2015, 06:33 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
I see your points and between the two feel the B will be the best choice. Love the Porsche if you plan to also track, yet for drives and family the B seems to make more sense. While neither have 'great' back seat legroom, as I recall the B has a bit more overall. The rear seats are also more comfy in the B IMHO. Once you're wedged in the back seat, they are nicely supportive and very comfortable.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:58 PM
HollywoodGT is on a distinguished road
Don't buy anything older than 2007 and make sure that the vacuum lines have been changed, I just got a 2006 and doing the Vacuum line is a 10k service lol

Next to my 750li with the same jerky Transmission

New Steering Wheel $5k

Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
In my opinion both cars are two seaters. Yes there are seats in the back but they do not have much room and the thought of small children climbing in and out all the time gives me concern. When you see the cars you can judge for yourself.

The trunk is large for a car of it's type and hopefully you can get that four wheel car for the kid in there?

Parts are not cheap and non dealer sources can be hard or impossible to find. I lost one of the front lower chrome grills and Bentley wanted $2K for a set of three, I only needed one. I found a source in Hong Kong for $700 and ordered with great fear of getting crap. Low and behold they are stamped made in germany and fit perfectly. The whole Bentley and dealer network is a ripoff but welcome to high end cars. I bet everything from Porsche is dirt cheap.:roll eyes:

Good luck finding a car that has been vacuum hose up fitted without somehow still paying for it.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:26 PM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road
We have a baby seat in the back. Hope your wife is small like mine, it's tight. I'm tall no one behind my seat usually except my wife if she wants to sit with our son.

Cliff

Old 09-07-2015, 08:17 AM
MerryMicrobe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by raaspaza
Thanks for responding guys. There's a 2007 GT Conv I'm going to take a look at tomorrow. Will have the stroller with me! I'm more interested in a coupe, but we'll see...
The GT Conv has a much smaller trunk than the GT as the retractable top takes up a considerable amount of space. One other thing to consider is that both the GT's and GTC's doors are heavy and, when opened, the resting points are weak. That is it is hard to keep the doors open especially on an incline. Consequently, IMHO, putting children in the back seats will prove to be frustrating. FYI - The Microbe has owned both of these PMCs.

If I was in your situation, without doubt, the Flying Spur would be my choice. The room and lighter and better opening doors will make your life easier. Take a look at one at least before you decide.

If I have used too many commas please forgive me.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 AM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by raaspaza
Hey guys,

Long time admirer of the Bentley boards over here (I'm usually on the Porsche side), but I've been thinking about finally pulling the trigger and getting a Bentley.

I'm looking for a mid 2000s model (since those are within my price point right now).

1) How good is the room in the back seats? We have a Cayenne and a Q7 that we use to haul around when we're going as a family, but if I'm just taking the kids (9,11) will they fit back there okay?

2) I also have 3yo, does anyone know how well a stroller fits back there? (We have a Bugaboo so it's a pretty large stroller). And at that point, do you guys have any car seats in the back seats also?

I'm very mechanically inclined. I do all the service work on our 2004 Cayenne Turbo and maintain it meticulously. I've rebuilt numerous engines, replaced air suspension, transmissions, etc...which brings me to Q3...

3) Where do you guys recommend getting parts from? Is there ever a shortage of parts available? And what is the likelihood that the engine will need to be pulled to perform normal maintenance (02 sensor).

I've always wanted one, and right now it's between the B and a 997 Turbo. I know neither of them are considered "reliable" but I've never had an issue with any of my cars (except RX7's).

Thanks for the help!
I have been daily driving my 2 kids to school/kindergarden for the past 5 years in two different CGTs and here is the situation:

If your car seat size is such that kids can bend their knees and hang their feet down, a full size adult can fit in the seat ahead of them with ZERO issues.

If your car seat is such that the kid's feet have to face forward, a smaller adult (anyone 5'8" and smaller) can fit in the seat in front of them with ZERO issues.

I have an earlier model of these seats: http://www.recaropromotion.com/performance-booster.html and they can be used with children from weighting 30 Lbs and up.

If you have one of those refrigerator-sized car seats with 10 cup holders, 5 storage compartments and 20 pillows, those will probably be too wide.

Cars that have a full rear central console are a pain in the *** because the space between the edge of the car seat and the console is like 1/2" and the belt buckle is in there (this is where your fingers will need to go to buckle the belt). My previous car (2011 Supersports) did not have a central console and it was awesome. My current car (2014 Speed) has it and its a PITA.

A bugaboo stroller will definitely fit in the trunk of a coupe (I used it), but you may need to play Tetris a bit. Convertibles have less trunk space, so you need to test. Most likely it will fit. The trunk on CGTs is pretty big. Newer cars have a ski pass-through in the trunk. Not gonna help with a stroller, but just saying...

As far as adults in the back seat, as long as people sitting in the front are 6' and under and people siting in the back are 5'8" and under, you are OK with any trips under 1.5 hours. This assumes you use a proper driving position. If you use this driving position:

, just assume you dont have a back seat.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I am 6'2" and that is my driving position, no one sits behind me. When my daughter was in the back behind momma it was tight and the wife hates sitting up on the dash. I basically waited till my little kiddy days were over to buy this car.

Boo Hoo the Merrymicrobe can't keep his doors open. There ain't even no damn hills in Houston????

Sorry mates but the FS is just not a car that i would buy, to unsporting for me never having to ride the chillins around.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 AM
MerryMicrobe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Boo Hoo the Merrymicrobe can't keep his doors open.
Nobody can say that you don't have the confidence to be a jerk.

Ok, now here is what is about to happen. The doctor tries to shame the Microbe, the Microbe fights back and the doctor gets his feelings hurt. This is all because the Microbe is much better at being a jerk than the doctor.

Actually I don't have much of a problem with the doors but my wife hates them. We don't have hills but our driveway is at an angle like probably most driveways are. I pointed it out because of the kid situation.