997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bad Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 AM
3POINT8 is on a distinguished road
Bad Day

I thought the road was bumpy driving home from work until I realized I blew out my rear tire. I was in a bad spot so I had to drive to a gas station (thankfully no more that 1/4 mile away). I was nearly home by then but did not want to drive the last mile and damage my rim. I am glad this didn't blow out during spirited driving.

This is all mostly my fault as I knew the insides of my tires were getting fairly bald but I wanted to get more miles out of them. I was able to find a great deal on Michelin super spots (been wanting stickier tires anyway) and will get those installed next week.

What I learned: check your tires regularly (they wear quick if you are getting after it) and change them when you knew you should.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:46 AM
juank20 will become famous soon enoughjuank20 will become famous soon enough
Could have been worse. Glad you were able to salvage the rim. Out of curiosity, what brand tires did you have?

Old 01-29-2016, 10:51 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 3POINT8
I thought the road was bumpy driving home from work until I realized I blew out my rear tire. I was in a bad spot so I had to drive to a gas station (thankfully no more that 1/4 mile away). I was nearly home by then but did not want to drive the last mile and damage my rim. I am glad this didn't blow out during spirited driving.

This is all mostly my fault as I knew the insides of my tires were getting fairly bald but I wanted to get more miles out of them. I was able to find a great deal on Michelin super spots (been wanting stickier tires anyway) and will get those installed next week.

What I learned: check your tires regularly (they wear quick if you are getting after it) and change them when you knew you should.
On my original tires I usually just inspected the visible outside portion of the rears which showed normal wear but well within state inspection standards. It wasn't until I noticed an increase in interior road noise did I get down and inspect the entire tire. I found the inside 25% of the tread face almost completely smooth. Replaced all four tires that week (Bridgestones).

Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 AM
3POINT8 is on a distinguished road
the potenza from les schwab. Not bad but i got maybe less than 20k miles on them. i did take them to the track twice which probably contributed to the wear. due to the camber of the tires they were thread bare on the inside and the outside was fine.