997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Gundo Hack Reviews

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 PM
REKX is on a distinguished road
Gundo Hack Reviews

So I have a Carrera non S 3.6 litre 997 gen 1 which I purchased not too long ago. Fantastic car, I'm still understanding the feel of it. (Auto tip by the way)

I use it as a daily driver. I notice it takes a few minutes for the car to warm up.

In terms of noise, as others have said its not the perfect raspy noise from the 3.6 litre v6 that one would expect, but I have noticed that above 3k revs the engine does sound a lot better, and between 4-7k it is amazing.

I do want to get the Gundo Hack because it would make the car sound a lot better however what worries me is I would still want it to sound quiet from 1-3k revs, cruising speeds and then above 3k would be nice for it to turn on the good stuff.

So can anyone recommend me getting it done and will it still be quiet at low revs or does it make the car a lot louder?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:06 PM
outtadaloop is on a distinguished road
I also have the 3.6 and just had the hack done. Best bang for the buck mod ever! Paired with my EVOMS intake the sound is amazing between 3,500-5K rpm and no drone. Highly recommend it, I went with 2" pipes.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Gundo or Fister are not that loud at low RPM. I find the sound more raspy and deeper than stock. If you want to adjust the sound you have to drop the coin for PSE. Best dollar value for the mod is the Fister mod. IMHO

Last edited by RaidersR1; 02-21-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:39 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
I did mine 8 years ago on my 3.6 - really love the sound.

Matt

Link to mine

Old 02-21-2016, 09:57 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
My only disappointment with the Gundo Hack is that I waited so long to finally do it! I agonized over spending $$$$ for an aftermarket exhaust system, knowing that it would not give a good return on cost per HP gained. Hoping for a big change in volume and sound I eliminated the center muffler and added a set of cross-over pipes. Big let-down; the cross-over pipes straightened out the exhaust path and added a few HP on the high side but not much change in the exhaust note (kind of makes you wonder why Porsche even bothered with the center muffler to begin with). So finally, after reading the reviews of others about the hack I went and had it done. TADA!!! Instant gratification and the exhaust sound that should have come from the factory. The combination of the cross-over pipes and the hack gave me the perfect sound for a lot less than a new exhaust system or the factory sport exhaust. No interior drone while cruising or running hard, a little louder that stock at idle, and the perfect Porsche sound on acceleration. Think of your accelerator pedal as the volume control.

Just. Do. It.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.

So I take it that in normal town driving say under 3k revs it will be quiet as it now.

But over 3k it will give what I need.

Sounds pretty good.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:15 PM
Dan GSR is on a distinguished road
yup, partial throttle is not much louder at all

when you're about 3k, and full throttle, it comes to life

perfection if you ask me

Old 02-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Jonhunt is on a distinguished road
Great move

I did it a couple of years ago on my 997.1 and love it. I did 1.75 inch pipes. I don't think the 2 inchers would be too loud. Great sound and I didn't notice any change in noise in the cockpit at normal driving speed.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 PM
dc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nice
Here's my review of the gundo hack on my car. It's a 997.2 C2S. I hear the 997.1 is louder stock and with the gundo hack. I went with a 2" pipe and it's very quiet after the car warms up. I think it would sound great on your car.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:10 AM
HolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura about
I did the fister/gundo mod (the one with a small pipe between the inlet and outlet)
And I'm very pleased with the result. I used a 1.5" pipe. The sound is much better in person. Great sound standing still, can conversate while driving normal etc, but people move once you hit 4.000-5.000 RPM. I love it.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:31 PM
2bpage is on a distinguished road
So happy with the Gundo Hack

After much contemplation, worry, etc., I had the GH completed today. So F'ng happy with it. I went to Performance Muffler in Phoenix, AZ. I worked with a tech named Tim who took his time after reviewing the photos and diagram I provided. We used a 1 3/4 pipe (smallest they had) and I think I hit the lottery. The sound is so *****'n throughout the entire rev range/power band. I am just having a ball. So glad I did not waste a bunch of cash on mufflers, cats, whatever. Also note that I have the cold air kit on my airbox (smooth silicon throttle body hose, and resonator cap).

Old 07-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Redhot2474 is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the approx cost of gundo hack?

Old 07-08-2016, 08:57 PM
2bpage is on a distinguished road
Yes sir should have mentioned that. I paid a total of $190.00. I believe most places that will do it, will do it for around $200.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:10 PM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
OK...seriously people, if you own a Porsche, please learn this is not a V-6 engine. It is a flat 6, a boxer motor to be precise. Horizontally opposed pistons/cylinders.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by cairo94507
OK...seriously people, if you own a Porsche, please learn this is not a V-6 engine. It is a flat 6, a boxer motor to be precise. Horizontally opposed pistons/cylinders.
What do you mean, its meant to be quieter?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gundo Hack Reviews