997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fabspeed intake mod..any good?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Porscheguy911 I appreciate the photos and I am glad you're enjoying it!

I thought I would jump in and add some data that we have collected on our in-house dyno. As you can see the peak gains we saw here are spread out great torque gains down low and just about the same gains for horsepower but up at the top end!

2600 RPM: +10 hp and +21 ft/lbs

4600 RPM: +12 hp and +14 ft/lbs

6700 RPM: +19 hp and +10 ft/lbs

Old 04-07-2016, 05:05 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
But your running the dyno with fans blowing air to the car right?

Cooler air coming into the car makes the potential gains look real. Running the car as designed, engine bay closed and only ambient air to draw AND hotter engine bay air hence the gains are not as you say.

I felt no gain when I used mine. Sold it off and went back to stock with K & N filter. Sounds good and performs better as I see and feel it.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
In the days when carburetors ruled, guys (ahem) would remove an oil bath filter and install a little chrome cover with a screen in it. Lots of intake noise and it looked cool too. Looking back I hate to think of what was getting into those poor motors. Ugh!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
But your running the dyno with fans blowing air to the car right?

Cooler air coming into the car makes the potential gains look real. Running the car as designed, engine bay closed and only ambient air to draw AND hotter engine bay air hence the gains are not as you say.

I felt no gain when I used mine. Sold it off and went back to stock with K & N filter. Sounds good and performs better as I see and feel it.
For most - if not all - naturally aspirated Porsches we only have the front fan running to simulate the air moving over the car as if it were traveling at normal speeds on the dyno. The rear deck lid is closed during dynoing with no fans blowing extra air to the intake.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:34 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
When my car was dyno'd they had fans on the back of the car. Fine if you do it different. Still not the same as driving. I'm not able to believe there is that much gain with just that AI.

All my research and experience says different.

My .02

Old 04-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
When my car was dyno'd they had fans on the back of the car. Fine if you do it different. Still not the same as driving. I'm not able to believe there is that much gain with just that AI.

All my research and experience says different.

My .02
Like I said its not across the entire spectrum that it gains that much power only in some specific deltas. When dynoing Fabspeed and many other manufactures try to match the driving conditions to get the best results.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Lolak is on a distinguished road
I ran the fab speed air intake system, hot intake lets say. Dynoed the stock air box versus fab speed, fab speed made less power than stock, fab speed horse power marketing hype for sure.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:29 PM
love2drive is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Lolak
I ran the fab speed air intake system, hot intake lets say. Dynoed the stock air box versus fab speed, fab speed made less power than stock, fab speed horse power marketing hype for sure.
Statements like the above can hurt a company. I wouldn't make such statements without documented evidence (like posting dyno charts, details such as year, trim, date of dyno, any modifications ...). It substantiates the argument.

Lolak, please post the dyno plots with specifics of the car.

I've opted to pass on Fabspeed's intake for my 2012 997 GTS because I've been informed by various credible sources, that the intake for GTS has been further optimized by Porsche above the already improved c2/c2s.. 997.2 intake. If Fabspeed could show definitively, for my car, similar gains they've shown for a 997.1 C2S... I'd have long past bought one.

Thanks

Last edited by love2drive; 04-08-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by love2drive
Statements like the above can hurt a company. I wouldn't make such statements without documented evidence (like posting dyno charts, details such as year, trim, date of dyno, any modifications ...). It substantiates the argument.

Lolak, please post the dyno plots with specifics of the car.

I've opted to pass on Fabspeed's intake for my 2012 997 GTS because I've been informed by various credible sources, that the intake for GTS has been further optimized by Porsche above the already improved c2/c2s.. 997.2 intake. If Fabspeed could show definitively, for my car, similar gains they've shown for a 997.1 C2S... I'd have long past bought one.

Thanks

Personally I would not buy a product based on manufactures claim of minimal hp gains accompanied by a self serving dyno chart. If a number of users say they are dissatisfied potential buyers should pay heed. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to see that his product is well regarded in the community. If it is not he needs to fix it or remove it from the market.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:28 PM
R33_ will become famous soon enough
Just bought this on Ebay.
It comes in a minimum of 4.
I will confirm the fitment, if it does fit, I will have 3 extra caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261434416877?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 04-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Sleek996 is on a distinguished road
Regarding dyno, unless you operate your own, I wouldn't put too much trust in the graph. The operator can easily swing the horsepower figure either way they choose. I'm in no way accusing anyone of altering their dyno sheet, merely stating what can be done in the hands of the operator.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:24 AM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
I think if Fabspeed would offer a 30-days money back satisfaction no question ask gurantee on the intake, then it would put this subject to bed.

If Fabspeed is confident enough that their intake would yield good result, then i think this is reasonable, just my 2 cents

Last edited by lowbee; 04-10-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Sleek996
Regarding dyno, unless you operate your own, I wouldn't put too much trust in the graph. The operator can easily swing the horsepower figure either way they choose. I'm in no way accusing anyone of altering their dyno sheet, merely stating what can be done in the hands of the operator.
Agreed. In a "controlled" environment you can control of the outcome. I only speak with experience using the unit. I would be an azz to make claims it's not worth it if I don't use it. Therefore based on my experience this is NOT a cold air intake. If someone is using the dual intake and not cutting a secondary hole to increase air intake then it's a waste of money as well.

Fabspeed has been complimented a lot here for their various products. I for one highly doubt that this company can make a product that increases the HP of a well engineered car like a Porsche. The X51 intake is a great example of why it's in closed. Sealed air box using outside air provides the best way to get air into the engine. Not an open intake taking air hot air from the engine bay.

Don't tell me the hot air from the engine doesn't go in because of the CF divider that's install. Not going for that. Again experience tells me different.

After running mine for months and then being told I can't smog my car with it on, made my decision to take out even easier. No way I'm switching out every few years to smog my car to basically have no increase in power.

The sound at the top end is great I will say. That isn't worth the additional money though. My wife had a hard time with the sound as well. That only means I need to take out but I had made decision before she started to complain.

Besides I raster hear my best mod...Fister cans!!

When and if I need more power, I will get a GTS or a Turbo. For those that like to "tinker" with their ride to gain more power, go for it. I like my car as it is and I do enjoy every aspect of the ride and build quality. Sure I can't beat a mustang but who really cares. My car is sooooo much more sexier on the road anyway and it's what I think about it that's all that matters!!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Lolak is on a distinguished road
The x51 package was designed to increase power for sure, and real power , not hyped up power. Porsche knows exactly what they doing in power delivery package , of there line up cars. Cold air intakes have been around years, and plain works. Real world testing is the truth for sure. I bought my fab speed intake used, and sold it soon after the dyno test was completed. Also to note, I have work as a professional engineer in the automotive performance industry for 30+years.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:42 PM
mk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nice
buy a evoms better unit or just put drop in filter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed intake mod..any good?