997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question about installing H&R Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Izzycab has a spectacular aura aboutIzzycab has a spectacular aura about
Question about installing H&R Coilovers

I recently purchased a set of H&R coilovers, and was told by the shop doing the install that I might want to buy camber plates for them.
My question is do I need camber plates if I am not going to aggressively lower the car. I am thinking of a 1.2-1.5" drop. Also, are the front and rear camber plated needed or just front? I have done some research on the board and online and come up with info for the 996 but not much on the 997. Any help appreciated.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Dan GSR is on a distinguished road
What are you using the car for? What are your goals?

Old 06-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Izzycab has a spectacular aura aboutIzzycab has a spectacular aura about
I am looking to slightly lower the car. Also going to do 4-5 track days a year. It will be more of a daily driver.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Stock top mounts are fine. They are rubber bushings. But going to aftermarket camber plates in front do two things (1) switches out the rubber bushing for a monoball and (2) gives you the ability to get more negative camber up front for the track.

With a stock setup up front you can get to -1.0 camber or so, more if you are lowered. To reduce understeer and help with track tire wear you really should be at -1.5 or more. You could either get there with camber plates or change out the lower control arms to a 2-piece version with shims like the GT3. Camber plates will get another 1.0 deg or so. LCA's will go much higher.

The monoball will add some ride harshness for the street but it's bearable, especially if your lower control arm bushings stay stock or use the GT3 rubber versions. If you switch out the LCA bushings to solid pucks an monoballs your street experience will be very harsh.

I did the LCA's first then went back and added camber plates because of the monoballs only. I wish I did the monoballs at the same time as the coilovers to save some labor.

Stay stock in the rear unless you are swapping out all rubber for solid mounts.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:43 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
+1 to what semicycler said.

Only thing I'll add is that if you decide you want to add the camber plates later, the labor will involve a full removal of the front coilover assembly plus another alignment. So you're much better off doing it now (probably no extra labor, if any) if you think you might end up wanting the plates.