997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Battery Replacement - New battery covers up fastening screw hole

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 02:10 PM
halperin is on a distinguished road
Battery Replacement - New battery covers up fastening screw hole

old battery
Name:  IMG_5549_zpst4bzyymv.jpg
Views: 3444
Size:  214.2 KB

new battery covered up where the thread was to screw in the plate.

http://s537.photobucket.com/user/halperin/media/IMG_5551_zpslhhyhrbi.jpg.html"]Name:  IMG_5551_zpslhhyhrbi.jpg
Views: 2843
Size:  194.4 KB

There is about an inch and a half of room for the battery to move around and so far driving it like this it has not shifted a ton. Is this bad to leave like this?

Solution someone recommended, other then getting a new battery, was to place about a 2-3 inch circle of this on the left side underneath the battery and let it side over night to act as a glue/adhesive.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180-Maximum-Resistance-Silicone/dp/B0002UEN1U

Old 09-18-2016, 02:54 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Well you purchased the wrong size. OEM size is H7/94R, looks like you bought an H8 which is an inch longer than the H7. Some folks use the H8 and use the 3rd hole but modifying with a nut. if you ever track you may be required to have a proper hold down so I wouldn't recommend gluing or leaving it un-clamped.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:36 PM
I had auto zone look up the proper ones and they told me to get that one but yeah over sized. The cars only use is for daily driving, if that makes a difference in solution.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:20 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
It's probably not going to go anywhere unless you're in some type of collision...I'd still want it clamped properly. Did you hook up your vent tube - picture isn't clear enough for me to tell although it doesn't look like it.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
+1 install your vent tube

The other holes have a nut attached to the bottom of the tray. The last hole as you have found out does not. So take the mounting bolt to the hardware store and match a nut to it (metric). Then mount it from below. The bottom tray is removable after you take the battery out. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out a solution.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:10 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Bad practice to drive around with a loose battery and could cause other issues, a short if it contacts something, fatigue of the battery cables, etc. I see 3 options for you:
  1. Return the incorrectly sized battery and get the correct size
  2. If the remaining hole doesn't line up correctly, you can remove the tray, as semicycler says, and drill a new hole in the appropriate position for the stock hold-down to work correctly
  3. alternatively, you can go to your auto-parts store and maybe find a different sized hold-down that works with the one exposed hole.

If you'll be utilizing either a newly drilled hole or the existing last hole that doesn't have a welded nut, it's not too difficult to set a nut under the tray in the correct position (or temporarily tape it) and they you can actually use an open end wrench slid under the tray to hold the nut once you get the bolt from the top started into it. I think it did it this way on either my car or my wife's when going to the Optima Batteries.

Last edited by Petza914; 09-19-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 AM
rickdogg82 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by halperin
I had auto zone look up the proper ones and they told me to get that one but yeah over sized. The cars only use is for daily driving, if that makes a difference in solution.
I'd take it back and ask them to exchange it for the correct one.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:14 AM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
^^100%. Get an H7. Autozone's Duralast Gold (~$185) drops in perfectly...~$185. http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...?checkfit=true

I just recently dropped in a Walmart EverStart Maxx (~$150) -- perfect fit. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...&veh=aff#about

FYI, both Autozone and Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls..they might be identical in fact with different branding. I'd take it back to Autozone, demand an appropriate battery, and also demand a discount for your hassle. Otherwise, return it and go buy the one from Walmart (they will install for free).

Old 09-19-2016, 10:57 AM
ya, for some reason the smaller h7 is more expensive. but anyways if there is no harm in having the bigger size, i think i can use some plyers to hold a nut underneth the tray and use that 3rd hole. if not, i guess i will take it back. i am trying to avoid going back out there and lugging batteries in and out. thats why i thought the glue option was viable. it will hold it in place and can be ripped up when i change the battery again.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:06 PM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
Im running the everstart walmart battery....like everyone else and their Mom on here.

you have every right to return that battery for a full refund and take your money elsewhere. AZ seems to be a hack type parts store anyways....(not that walmarts any better), but they sell oil very reasonably.

remember, if you return the incorrect battery, you also have the right to ask for a core back to you to be able to return to Walmart for the correct battery youre about to purchase.

GL.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:40 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
I purchased an auto zone battery a few years ago and it died under 2 years. I took it back under warranty and they replaced it no questions asked. They had an optional gel battery that fit my 911 and that is what I took. Cost me a few dollars more. I keep it on a tender when not driving the car and it starts the car much stronger than the non-gel, and the OEM Porsche battery.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
The battery wants to be secure. If it is loose it will shift about in the battery box.While it probably won't fall out this can wear the battery plastic and the base case could leak (acid).

Not what you want to risk.

Either find a way to secure the current battery properly using the hold down hole and the battery hold down or get a proper sized battery that can use the proven/tried and true original hold down so the battery is secure.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Macster
The battery wants to be secure. If it is loose it will shift about in the battery box.While it probably won't fall out this can wear the battery plastic and the base case could leak (acid).

Not what you want to risk.

Either find a way to secure the current battery properly using the hold down hole and the battery hold down or get a proper sized battery that can use the proven/tried and true original hold down so the battery is secure.
Agree...Porsche must have had a good reason to clamp it and not glue it

Old 09-24-2016, 06:05 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
My battery became loose and it would make a thump when I brake. Over time, the connection can get loose and battery life is compromised due to the acid sloshing around excessively. If you insist on keeping the battery, you need another clamp

Old 09-25-2016, 07:58 AM
Thanks all. Was able youse some plyers to hold a nut underneath and secure the clamp down. Wasn't that hard after all.