997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Has Your Porsche Affected Your Working Life/Job In Anyway?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:50 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Jealousy/Envy is a ***** bleeper...I find the same happens so as others have posted I'm very cautious about where I drive the car...doesn't help that I have personalized plates...but I work hard for what I have to they can kiss my backside

Old 12-24-2016, 11:44 AM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
Similar to one of the earlier posters, I was hesitant to take mine to work initially as I work at a conservative company. The CEO has a Z4 but said he'd never bring it to work, which may have also impacted my thinking. Then I just said what the hey, I'm not ashamed of it so I took it. Received a few compliments. One of the VP's now brings his Boxster, another drives her Audi cabrio, and the CEO even brought his Z4 one day. So maybe I started to change the culture as well? Not sure but I no longer worry about taking it to work. And there is a long sweeping on ramp on the way home that I love, I tell my wife that I usually leave the office a little earlier when I take the P-car. And get home faster. But that's another story

Old 12-28-2016, 07:38 AM
italdream is on a distinguished road
In some towns in my area, people drive $70K+ SUVs like they are candies. Yet, some may still have the perception that a 911 is a luxury vehicle. Indeed, it is, but it is not prohibitively more expensive than cars most people drive around here (especially if bought slightly used).

To avoid some issues that may come from this skewed perception, for years, I avoided mentioning at work that I owned a 911 (and I am in a profession, where this would not necessarily be considered an extravagant purchase).

I have also avoided mentioning it to old friends that I don't see often, to avoid misperception. I will also run into the occasional jealous person, or that acquaintance who is a car fan, but can't afford one, and wants to convince you so badly that smart people buy a Mitsubishi Evo instead.

With that in mind, owning my 911 has thus far only brought me joy and satisfaction. Don't use it as a way for flashing wealth (real or simulated) and people around you will be just fine with it.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:16 PM
PoundCake is on a distinguished road
None of their business what I drive and very few people know.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:05 AM
Hwood is an unknown quantity at this point
I received few remarks in good fun, but one guy creeped me out by asking a lot of questions about cost and financing. I can also tell that people now think I make a lot more money than I actually make, (my mom keeps asking, and I keep deflecting).

Old 01-02-2017, 07:04 AM
SCT997 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a time I feel blessed to say that cars are my job so I can drive it and not feel bad at all! However my old job... that was a different story, I had to leave her at home

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.