997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 LED Tails- throwing a code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
997.1 LED Tails- throwing a code

I bought LED tail lights ages ago, and got tired of them throwing a code so I took them out. I want to get them to work again, but it's been so long I don't even know who I bought them from. They came with 2 sets of resistors, but neither of them are working to eliminate error codes. Anyone have any similar experiences or advice? I know it's not much help that I don't recall who the manufacturer was, but figured I'd throw it out there for y'all.
CATTMAN

Old 03-11-2017, 04:57 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same issues. It wasn't until I got new resistors then it was fixed. The ones that came with it proved dead over time

Old 03-11-2017, 06:57 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Post up a pic of the tails and we may be able to tell you whether they're Depo, Dectane, Spyder, or Rottec

Old 03-11-2017, 08:04 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Sometimes the brand will be stamped on the light.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	471575  
Old 03-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Por-sha-fan is on a distinguished road
I just installed the center 21/5w tail lamp reflector bulb with a Philips X-treme Vision LED in Red, no CEL just as of yet. $36 USD on Amazon.

Philips also offers P21W in white for the back up bulbs, but they are almost $110 USD a pair so I skipped this purchase.

The other tail/brake lights are standard halogen as I could not find a replacement in LED for the P21/4w... I am wondering if the P21/5w would work, but Philips advertisers that the lights do draw 5 watts to avoid CEL's, and if that is true, I would be over drawing the wiring on the P21/4w bulb applications.

Last edited by Por-sha-fan; 03-11-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Sounds like you need new resistors. I actually installed mine w/o resisters for a few weeks with no errors, then all of a sudden, errors shows up and I had to install the resistors. Haven't had issues since.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:30 AM
Por-sha-fan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ynot
Sounds like you need new resistors. I actually installed mine w/o resisters for a few weeks with no errors, then all of a sudden, errors shows up and I had to install the resistors. Haven't had issues since.
Are you talking to me to the OP?

Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Por-sha-fan
Are you talking to me to the OP?
OP or whomever is getting errors.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amge63
I had the same issues. It wasn't until I got new resistors then it was fixed. The ones that came with it proved dead over time
What did you replace them with?
CATTMAN

Old 03-14-2017, 07:57 PM
It's DEPO.
Here are some pics. Just need to know which resistors I need to avoid throwing codes.
CATTMAN

Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 PM
JeffT is on a distinguished road
Cattman, I think I have the same lights and have been recently looking for replacement resistors, too. Yours are those blocky ones that have two sided tape to attach them to the inside of the taillight well? The vendor that sold me the lights is no longer in business so I reached out to FVD. Rhonda replied and stated they no longer sell the resistors anymore and recommended purchasing a new set of taillights. Good luck with your search. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a couple pairs of black box encapsulated canbus compatible resistors leftover from the lighting project I did on my 957 Cayenne when changing the front lights from the 957 style to the led 958 style. I'll sell them for $25/pair PayPal F&F payment shipped USPS Priority Mail if anyone is interested. They have the H8/H9/H11 plugs on the ends, but if those aren't the right type, can be snipped off and just butt-spliced onto circuit. No guarantees they will resolve the issue, but I much prefer this style of resistor pack to the open gold ones that get super hot.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:50 AM
I have sort of given up hope on getting these to work unless someone has some advice.
CATTMAN

Old 04-20-2017, 04:05 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
I have sort of given up hope on getting these to work unless someone has some advice.
CATTMAN
Tell us again the issue(s) - are you getting fast flash with the turn signal or just error code when you turn the lights on or when you depress the brake pedal. Does the error light go out when lights off? Any other led's installed like license plate lights or side markers?

Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 PM
pc997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Petza914
Post up a pic of the tails and we may be able to tell you whether they're Depo, Dectane, Spyder, or Rottec
Are these the only aftermarket suppliers of LED taillights? Anyone tried replacing just the bulbs with newer LED bulbs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.