997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Software Performance Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Joe Valha is an unknown quantity at this point
Software Performance Upgrade

New Porsche owner (2006 S4 Cabriolet) starting to go down the rabbit hole of all the things I can do to upgrade my wonderful car. Just did a major upgrade of the stereo (discussed elsewhere) and am contemplating new wheels for my summer tires. I searched, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for regarding the many companies like ECU that offer a software upgrade. Thoughts from someone that has done this to a car similar to mine or sharing a link where this has been discussed to death would be greatly appreciated. I'm still debating the merits of a CAI for my car as well (Fabspeed really expensive or the K&N that they tell me technically isn't for my car but forum members here say is just fine and is half the $$ as Fabspeed). Thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
If you want this type of intake, the Champion F77 one is the best and the next best is the Evolution Motorsports (Evoms) version as both of these draw air through the openings of the engine lid, not from the ambient air in the engine compartment. The engine compartment air isn't really warm when the car is underway, but people still get hung up on this. If you go with the Evoms one, get the hydrophobic K&N filter cover to help keep water from washing the filter oil from the filter and being sucked in when driving in the rain. With my mods, the Fabspeed J-Pipe version works the best for me and is really the only one I can use, but have the Evoms one in my wife's car (had the K&N in there before that and returned it).

A tune isn't going to do much for you unless you make other mods (intake, IPD plenum, headers, mufflers, higher flow 200 cell cats, etc) and even once you do all of that, you still won't get much, probably a better breathing, slightly stronger top end and improved throttle response. The only way to make real tuning gains is with Forced Induction, which I also wouldn't recommend on these motors with the normal turbo and supercharger kits that are available. Others are so expensive, you'd be better off trading for a Turbo.

Suspension upgrades are a different matter and can really improve the way the car handles and the way it feels. Lighter wheels, stickier tires, & better suspension will make you faster than any of the HP mods I mentioned above. Now if you're going for sound improvement then that's a different matter and the intake, mufflers, & X-pipe will get you that.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Joe Valha is an unknown quantity at this point
Petza,

Thanks so much for the response. I appreciate all the info. I think my next upgrade is going to be wheels for my summer tires, then save up for some exhaust improvements down the road.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.