997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PSS9 on 997.1 C2, disappointing ride quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 04:25 PM
911nitis will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Doug H
Dude, its a sports car . . . not a Caddilac.
Hi Doug: Ive driven all late models from Porsches, McLarens, Ferrari, Astons and Lamborghini's. As of now, the only car that has a firmer suspension is the Ferrari California with the Special Handling Package.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911nitis
Hi Doug: Ive driven all late models from Porsches, McLarens, Ferrari, Astons and Lamborghini's. As of now, the only car that has a firmer suspension is the Ferrari California with the Special Handling Package.
My wifey has 997.2 C2 cab with 19s and Eibachs. She thinks it comfy cozy compared to her stock Gallardo Spyder and she complains about my F80 with ZCP and Swifts . . .

Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
From my understanding the 997 cars with PASM are even stiffer even with it "off". Someone with real experience please correct me if I am wrong![/QUOTE]

My 2008 Carrera S Cab gets much stiffer when in Sport mode than in normal.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 AM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
I found my 997.1S with PASM in "normal" is stiff at times, I seldom put the car in "sport" setting on city streets. "Normal" is stiffer than my STi with stiff aftermarket springs. I am putting in the TPC PASM control module to soften the suspension up so it doesn't need to be stiff when the situation doesn't call for it.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 PM
1000songs is on a distinguished road
This thread is similar to my earlier thread re: 997.1 w/PASM suspension suggestions. I was looking for an economical solution to worn out suspension on my higher mileage 2006 9114S.

I've been steered (pun intended) towards Bilstein HD struts and Eibach springs by others on the board.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:55 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlaHeel
From my understanding the 997 cars with PASM are even stiffer even with it "off". Someone with real experience please correct me if I am wrong!
My 2008 Carrera S Cab gets much stiffer when in Sport mode than in normal.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't my experience with PASM back prior to changing over to BC Racing which is not compatible with PASM - hence, I don't have it and don't miss it. With this being said, I previously had H&R lowering springs and when I would engage PASM it would become very bouncy - just saying.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:14 AM
german88 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you haven't explored the full usable range of clicker settings w/road testing it would be a huge mistake to switch IMHO. Those PSS9's should offer as good if not better ride quality that OE ever will.

Also, when referring to clicker settings always state if your "X number" of turns from full clockwise or counterclockwise. We have no reference for where your settings are otherwise...

Old 06-30-2017, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by german88
If you haven't explored the full usable range of clicker settings w/road testing it would be a huge mistake to switch IMHO. Those PSS9's should offer as good if not better ride quality that OE ever will.

Also, when referring to clicker settings always state if your "X number" of turns from full clockwise or counterclockwise. We have no reference for where your settings are otherwise...
They are at 8's right now. They are performing how they are made to perform, a street performance coil over.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-30-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:50 PM
SWFTIII is on a distinguished road
If I remember correctly 9 is full soft and 1 is full stiff. I had them on my 993 C4S and loved them for track and street driving...never experienced the 'bounce around' that you are talking about, but usually kept them closer to the 3-4 setting (closer to stiff).

Good luck with whatever you decide...everyone has a different desire, but these are sports cars and meant to have tight suspensions.

Enjoy,
-Skip

Old 07-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Hey guys, thought would give a follow-up today. Got an alignment done and the car feels a little better but still bouncy. Have them at 9 all around (softest) so going to try tightening it up over the weekend to see if that reduces the bounciness.

Also, was quite shocked when I got the alignment done at Wheel Enhancement here in L.A that they dont check your tire pressure before aligning the vehicle. The salesman actually tried convincing me on how it isnt important which makes zero sense to me?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 AM
german88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Try them at 4 front and rear...

Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by german88
Try them at 4 front and rear...
Now that the alignment is done I will play with the settings and go a little stiffer maybe to 6F and 8 R and then try 4F and 4R see how that rides. Will keep you updated.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys, thought would give a follow-up today. Got an alignment done and the car feels a little better but still bouncy. Have them at 9 all around (softest) so going to try tightening it up over the weekend to see if that reduces the bounciness.

Also, was quite shocked when I got the alignment done at Wheel Enhancement here in L.A that they dont check your tire pressure before aligning the vehicle. The salesman actually tried convincing me on how it isnt important which makes zero sense to me?
I have a 2005 997S Cab. Replaced the sway bars, added Damptronics and lowered the car to GT3 height. It's a great ride, but very firm on the aggressive PASM setting. It being a convertible, I try to keep it in the softer mode most of the time, only using the aggressive mode on smooth surfaces.
However, for the OP, leaving the damping setting on '9' (smoothest) may be part of the problem that you're encountering. I have a more race-oriented car and I've gotten pretty good with the ride height/compression and damping settings. The setting refer to levels of damping of the spring effect. Too soft and you will bounce up and down, too hard and the spring can't travel effectively. Just play with it. I'd suggest you try the extremes and then work your way to the comfort-side (if that's your preference) of mid-level settings.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
After speaking with Techart, the car is going back to 100% stock. They said the springs do make the car much more firm and remove the floatiness of the 977, the stock system doesnt float with no pasm, so that told me this was a simple no. Yes the car will look raised and will loose that awesome lower look but at least I will be driving much happier than with the pss9. I have the settings at 8 front and 8 back.
You're doing the right thing. Do you really think Bilstein (or any other aftermarket company) knows more than Porsche on how to set up the car? And as for PASM, it sucks ***. Most worthless option Porsche has ever offered. As soon as you turn on Sport/Sport Plus, before you ever retract your hand you automatically, without even thinking twice, take PASM out of sport mode. What a POS. X73 is the best suspension Porsche has ever offered. I don't think it's an option for non-PASM 997s though. Too bad, it's F-ing perfect!

Old 10-29-2019, 10:50 PM
funny, just removed the PSS9 and now going to eibach. If everything goes as expected per your post, i will most likely going back to stock! But those PSS9 had to go!

Originally Posted by AP1to911
I have done this years ago.

Take my advice and keep your suspension STOCK.

I went from

Stock
to
KW V3 full coilovers
to
Techart Springs + stock shocks

then back to OEM suspension.

Believe me, the car just rides SO much nicer and is much more rewarding to drive when driven correctly on the street.

P.S.

YES the techart springs are going to feel too stiff for you. Not as first because you just got off the Bilstein, but over time you will start to miss the OEM suspension once again.

the 997 is already too stiff as is for 2017 standards.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.